Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 44 guests

Shadow of Victory Snippet #1

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Shadow of Victory Snippet #1
Post by Rincewind   » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:57 pm

Rincewind
Captain (Junior Grade)

kzt wrote:
GregD wrote:I've got a nasty and suspicious mind, so I'm leaning towards the MAlign setting this up, not Kalokainos.

I'm shocked, just shocked, at this lack of faith in the goodness of strangers who work for the MA.

Actually, at this point in time you are both wrong because at this point Aldona Anisimova did not work for the Mesan Alignment; (she was a board member for Manpower Inc). That only came later during Storm in the Shadows after Isabel Bardasano recommended to Albrecht Detweiller that she be brought inside the Onion. Even then at first Damien Harahap only worked as an aide to Valery Ottweiler, Mesa's diplomatic representative on Meyes. He only started working for the Mesan Alignment itself at the beginning of Shadow of Freedom.
Post by Weird Harold   » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:22 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Rincewind wrote:...He only started working for the Mesan Alignment itself at the beginning of Shadow of Freedom.

More precisely, he wasn't shown as working for the MAlign until Shadow of Freedom. I think we can now pinpoint the change from "Working for Manpower" to "Working for the MAlign" at:

RunsForCelery wrote:February 1921 Post Diaspora

“I’m a very inventive fellow. With enough time, I can get to anyone.”
— Captain Damien Harahap, Solarian League Gendarmerie
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by ncwolf   » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:54 pm

ncwolf
Commander

runsforcelery wrote:Guys —

This is the first snippet from Shadow of Victory. The manuscript is not finished and has not been submitted in final form just yet. So if you are on the First Readers' List, it hasn't been emailed to you yet. It is still (theoretically, at least) subject to change before final turn in.

I am still working on finishing this book, and I am still sufficiently slammed that I don't know how regularly I'm going to be posting snippets. At any rate, here's chapter 1, and I hope you like it.

Looks like I'll wait a bit; honestly, I was probably going to wait for the hardback anyway. It's not like it's software I need to run a nuclear power plant or something. (Read your terms and conditions carefully before you agree, people.)
Post by Lunan   » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:35 pm

Lunan
Captain of the List

think ill just give up on hoping for the next snippet or earc and just be surprised when it happens
Post by n7axw   » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:21 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Rincewind wrote:
Actually, at this point in time you are both wrong because at this point Aldona Anisimova did not work for the Mesan Alignment; (she was a board member for Manpower Inc). That only came later during Storm in the Shadows after Isabel Bardasano recommended to Albrecht Detweiller that she be brought inside the Onion. Even then at first Damien Harahap only worked as an aide to Valery Ottweiler, Mesa's diplomatic representative on Meyes. He only started working for the Mesan Alignment itself at the beginning of Shadow of Freedom.

Oh, she was working for the Alignment. She just didn't know it yet. That didn't happen until just before the New Tuscany op.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Louis R   » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:10 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

Ummm...

No.

Nobody who wasn't inside even knew that a Detweiler existed. Aldona has long known who Albrecht is. What changed was that she was taken further inside than she previously realised it was possible to get. [Which raises the interesting questions how far from the centre she still is, and of where she was during Houdini.]

n7axw wrote:
Rincewind wrote:

Oh, she was working for the Alignment. She just didn't know it yet. That didn't happen until just before the New Tuscany op.

Don

-
Post by Starkiller   » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:39 pm

Starkiller
Midshipman

[quote="runsforcelery"]And he's Damien in this book everywhere the voice recognition software din't mishear me. :P

I did mention the final manuscript hasn't been turned in, didn't I? :lol: :lol:

Unfortunately, today Baen released the first half of SoV to buyers of the Baen e-book Bundle for November (release date November 2, 2016)and the error persists in the online version of chapter 1.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:03 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Starkiller wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:And he's Damien in this book everywhere the voice recognition software din't mishear me. :P

I did mention the final manuscript hasn't been turned in, didn't I? :lol: :lol:

Unfortunately, today Baen released the first half of SoV to buyers of the Baen e-book Bundle for November (release date November 2, 2016)and the error persists in the online version of chapter 1.

That's because first halves, and (next month) first 3/4 of new books in those bundles are the pre-released, unedited, versions. They get replaced with the final edit of the full book in November.

Return to Honorverse