Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 34 guests

An out of order snippet for Rose

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
An out of order snippet for Rose
Post by runsforcelery   » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:14 am

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

Rose, I know you're gonna hate me, but . . . .

“Enter!” Sir Aivars Terekhov called as the admittance chime on the flag bridge briefing room’s door sounded. He looked up from his conference with Commander Pope and Lieutenant Commander Lewis and smiled as the door opened. “Helen!” he greeted the newcomer. “Already finished beating the schedule into submission?”

“I’m afraid not, Sir,” she replied, and his smile vanished instantly as her tone registered. The adjective which came most readily to mind where Helen Zilwicki was concerned was “sturdy,” and in far more than merely physical terms. Yet today she seemed . . . brittle, and her eyes were suspiciously bright.

“What is it, Helen?” he asked in a much gentler tone, feeling Pope and Lewis look at each other and then at him and his flag lieutenant.

“Lieutenant Archer just screened me with a message from Admiral Gold Peak, Sir,” she said in an unnaturally level voice. “We’ve received amplification on the flash dispatches from Manticore. Apparently, the original casualty estimate was low.”

She paused, and something about her manifest unwillingness to continue sent an icy chill through Sir Aivars Terekhov. He’d had two T-days to come to grips — intellectually, at least — with the devastating attack, but all of them had been dreading the more detailed dispatches they knew would follow once the Admiralty and the Grantville Government had time to begin sorting out the true extent of the damage.

“How low?” he asked.

“According to Lieutenant Archer, we lost between eight and a half and nine million people, Sir, and Weyland’s destruction’s been confirmed. And —” her voice wavered ever so slightly “— so has the Kitty’s.”

“What?”

Terekhov heard his own voice ask the question, but he didn’t remember telling it to. All he could do was stare at his flag lieutenant, understanding — now — the bright sheen of unshed tears, while his mind tried to cope with the totally unanticipated shock.

Why are you so surprised? a corner of that mind asked itself. You knew she’d be in yard hands for months. Where the hell else did you think they’d send her for that? Of course she was at Hephaestus! You just didn’t want to think about that, did you?

No, he hadn’t. But now he had no choice, and he drew a deep, steadying breath that seemed to help remarkably little.

“Personnel losses?” His question sounded preposterously calm in his own ears.

“Total, Sir.” The first word came out in bits and pieces and she blinked hard, fighting to control her voice. “Some of her people were probably out of the ship,” she continued huskily. “I don’t know how many . . . or who. And even if they were,” despite her hard-held control a single tear trickled down her cheek, “they were probably just somewhere else in Hephaestus and . . . .”

Her voice trailed off completely, and she stood there, gazing at him through a silvery shimmer of tears.

Terekhov’s jaw tightened. He seemed about to reply, but then he stood instead and crossed the briefing room deck in two strides. Her eyes began to widen in question, but his arms went around her before she could speak.

She stiffened. Embracing one’s flag lieutenant wasn’t exactly forbidden by Regs, but the service’s traditions came pretty damned close to that, for a lot of reasons, most of them very good ones. But Terekhov didn’t seem to care, and all Helen felt in that moment were the arms of the father who couldn’t be there for her — the father who was all too probably as dead as the men and women of HMS Hexapuma. She tried to draw the Navy’s formalities about her, reached for the armor of an officer on duty, and they crumbled in her hands.

“I know, Helen.” His voice rumbled in her ear, and the tears burst free as one hand rose to gently cup the back of her head. “I know.”

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Re: An out of order snippet for Rose
Post by ksandgren   » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:41 am

ksandgren
Captain (Junior Grade)

Thanks, rfc!
Post by cthia   » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:00 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

What was that I posted earlier about RFC being in the mood to kill? And the worry about him conferring with Murphy about it being high time to kill off a significant character? Preparing us for the slaughter.

Poor Rose. Poor me! I'm supposed to be able to handle the incessant killings because I'm... male? Ha!

Thanks for the snippet. Thanks in advance for the next one too. :D

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by OrlandoNative   » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:15 am

OrlandoNative
Captain (Junior Grade)

Ok, I'm officially confused.

While I understand RFC often seems to "jump around" in his timeline a bit, didn't the attack on the Manticore system occur long enough ago for this particular conversation to have happened (and written about) before Gold Peak sent Terekhov off to Mobius in Shadow of Freedom?
"Yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again."
Post by kzt   » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:03 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

OrlandoNative wrote:Ok, I'm officially confused.

While I understand RFC often seems to "jump around" in his timeline a bit, didn't the attack on the Manticore system occur long enough ago for this particular conversation to have happened (and written about) before Gold Peak sent Terekhov off to Mobius in Shadow of Freedom?

There seems to be a lot of filling in the blanks in this book. Which is fun, I'm just hopping that at the end we have pushed the timeline forward more than a few days. :-)
Post by Braudel26   » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:07 am

Braudel26
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

It seems to me it's not only on the Polish speaking planet that we go back in time. We also have different POVs on global events we already saw. In the case of Oyster, the enormity of the thing is worth getting back to it and we'll probably see consequences ...
Post by Weird Harold   » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:26 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Terekhov & Co certainly knew that the Yawata Strike happened, but this seems to be a more detailed update on the strike. It could be before they departed for Mobius in June 1922 PD, or it could be catching up on news after they got back. It depends on how long it took for the updated information to be gathered and reach Montana. My guess is that this scene is probably late May or early June 1922 PD.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Star Knight   » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:30 am

Star Knight
Commodore

There seems to be a lot of filling in the blanks in this book.

I'm not sure we need those fillings.

I mean, what does this scene add to the story?
We already knew Hexapuma was lost with all hands during OysterBay.
We already know about the total number of casulties.

It tells us nothing new, there is no suprise development, the characters behave pretty much like we had to expect.

Its not a but scene (far from it actually), but IMO something like this belongs in Shadow of Freedom, not Shadow of Victory.

The story of /Terekhov has already moved far beyond the shock of OysterBay.
One of the last scenes in SoF is Terekhovs command liberating the Mobius System.

Going back to something that happend way before that only works well, if there is something significant we dont know yet.
This is not impossible but so far i dont see it.

In fact i really wish we would get some more liniar storytelling at last. All this jumping around really hurts the narrative flow of pretty much all books since MoH.
Post by George J. Smith   » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:01 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

Well now we will get to read the part when they discover who survived from the Kitty's crew as a result of being transferred to Weyland and being evacuated in the drill

thanks rfc
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by Direwolf18   » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:05 am

Direwolf18
Captain of the List

Interesting. This is a scene I always knew had to happen. I was always, puzzled?, about how there was no refrence to the kitty in shadow of freedom.

Return to Honorverse