Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests

and another out of order . . . well, you get the idea

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
and another out of order . . . well, you get the idea
Post by runsforcelery   » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:45 am

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

“Nothing heavy-handed, of course,” Duchairn said, “but I ‘accidentally’ ran into Rayno day before yesterday and, while we were chatting, I mentioned that I needed the monthly spreadsheets from St. Thyrmyn’s for February and March. It’s a fairly large budget item, probably the Inquisition’s second or third single largest expense, and they frequently get behind on their accounting and need a little nudge, so it’s hardly the first time I’ve mentioned it to him. Usually, he rolls his eyes and promises to look into it, but it still takes a five-day or two to get me the numbers. This time he just brushed it off, though, so I offered to have my people contact Vekko’s staff directly. He didn’t like that idea at all. He didn’t say so, but Wyllym’s not quite as good at fooling me as he thinks he is, and he was just a bit too hearty about assuring me he’d personally see that I got the needed paperwork.”

He shrugged again.

“Given his reaction, Zhaspahr’s’s continued silence about one of his greatest triumphs, and Vekko and Hahpyr’s . . . non-appearance, I’m forced to conclude that something nasty must have happened to the prison. Something nasty enough Zhaspahr’s decided to keep it completely quiet. Oh, and by the way — the spreadsheets arrived in my offices that very afternoon, over Vekko’s signature. But, you know, Treasury’s very good at detecting forgeries.”

“It wasn’t his signature? That’s what you’re saying?”

“Not unless he’s taken to making both ‘k’s in his last name the same height. Since he hadn’t done that a single time in the last forty years or so — I checked against an expense voucher in his file that goes all the way back to 856, as well as more recent examples of his signature — it seems unlikely he should suddenly change now. I spent five years in Treasury’s forgery division as an under-priest, you know. Or maybe you didn’t,” he acknowledged, recognizing the surprise in the other man’s expression. “It’s been quite a while, and no doubt I’m a little rusty, but I can still recognize a falsified signature when I see one. It’s not a big thing, but I’m positive someone else signed the documents with his name. Which, coupled with the fact that they arrived so promptly . . . .”

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Re: and another out of order . . . well, you get the idea
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:49 am

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

Very Interesting! :twisted: :twisted:

runsforcelery wrote:“Nothing heavy-handed, of course,” Duchairn said, “but I ‘accidentally’ ran into Rayno day before yesterday and, while we were chatting, I mentioned that I needed the monthly spreadsheets from St. Thyrmyn’s for February and March. It’s a fairly large budget item, probably the Inquisition’s second or third single largest expense, and they frequently get behind on their accounting and need a little nudge, so it’s hardly the first time I’ve mentioned it to him. Usually, he rolls his eyes and promises to look into it, but it still takes a five-day or two to get me the numbers. This time he just brushed it off, though, so I offered to have my people contact Vekko’s staff directly. He didn’t like that idea at all. He didn’t say so, but Wyllym’s not quite as good at fooling me as he thinks he is, and he was just a bit too hearty about assuring me he’d personally see that I got the needed paperwork.”

He shrugged again.

“Given his reaction, Zhaspahr’s’s continued silence about one of his greatest triumphs, and Vekko and Hahpyr’s . . . non-appearance, I’m forced to conclude that something nasty must have happened to the prison. Something nasty enough Zhaspahr’s decided to keep it completely quiet. Oh, and by the way — the spreadsheets arrived in my offices that very afternoon, over Vekko’s signature. But, you know, Treasury’s very good at detecting forgeries.”

“Not unless he’s taken to making both ‘k’s in his last name the same height. Since he hadn’t done that a single time in the last forty years or so — I checked against an expense voucher in his file that goes all the way back to 856, as well as more recent examples of his signature — it seems unlikely he should suddenly change now. I spent five years in Treasury’s forgery division as an under-priest, you know. Or maybe you didn’t,” he acknowledged, recognizing the surprise in the other man’s expression. “It’s been quite a while, and no doubt I’m a little rusty, but I can still recognize a falsified signature when I see one. It’s not a big thing, but I’m positive someone else signed the documents with his name. Which, coupled with the fact that they arrived so promptly . . . .”
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]
Post by ksandgren   » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:50 am

ksandgren
Captain (Junior Grade)

Thanks, RFC! More about the fun and games resulting from the retribution.
Post by Louis R   » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:36 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

And a _very_ interesting tidbit about Duchairn's career.

If he has what amounts to a Treasury CID background, he's not nearly as out of his depth dealing with the Inquisition as some people are assuming.

ksandgren wrote:Thanks, RFC! More about the fun and games resulting from the retribution.
Post by Louis R   » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:42 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

Clearly, they opted for something besides the Earth-Shaking Kaboom. A pity, in a way. Those are so very, very difficult to cover up ;)

DrakBibliophile wrote:Very Interesting! :twisted: :twisted:

runsforcelery wrote:“Nothing heavy-handed, of course,” Duchairn said, “but I ‘accidentally’ ran into Rayno day before yesterday and, while we were chatting, I mentioned that I needed the monthly spreadsheets from St. Thyrmyn’s for February and March. It’s a fairly large budget item, probably the Inquisition’s second or third single largest expense, and they frequently get behind on their accounting and need a little nudge, so it’s hardly the first time I’ve mentioned it to him. Usually, he rolls his eyes and promises to look into it, but it still takes a five-day or two to get me the numbers. This time he just brushed it off, though, so I offered to have my people contact Vekko’s staff directly. He didn’t like that idea at all. He didn’t say so, but Wyllym’s not quite as good at fooling me as he thinks he is, and he was just a bit too hearty about assuring me he’d personally see that I got the needed paperwork.”

He shrugged again.

Post by runsforcelery   » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:48 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

Louis R wrote:And a _very_ interesting tidbit about Duchairn's career.

If he has what amounts to a Treasury CID background, he's not nearly as out of his depth dealing with the Inquisition as some people are assuming.

ksandgren wrote:Thanks, RFC! More about the fun and games resulting from the retribution.

Well, I've known about it for some time now :lol: , and allowed for it in my story line . . . . :D

Post by dobriennm   » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:14 pm

dobriennm
Commander

Louis R wrote:Clearly, they opted for something besides the Earth-Shaking Kaboom. A pity, in a way. Those are so very, very difficult to cover up ;)

Since we're talking about a non-appearance of key people from the prison, I think this is what happened (as I speculated in another thread where Rayno is panicking over something that happened at the prison)

dobriennm wrote:
Okay, as others have said Duckk really nailed the important part - Rayno isn't just panicking - he's freaking out

So, some sort of knockout gas, nanites to knock people out, basically render everyone unconscious. Then land an air lorry or assault shuttle, spirit EVERYONE! away. Leaving no blood or explosions or mayhem behind.

That would freak out anyone. Safehold doesn't seem to have ghost stories (or at least not revealed to by the author). Knowing this has to involve sejins/demons, it reveals a capability never shown before on Safehold.

So no mayhem, dead bodies, explosions, just a mysteriously empty prison and NO non-divine explanations possible.
Post by runsforcelery   » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:52 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

dobriennm wrote:
Louis R wrote:Clearly, they opted for something besides the Earth-Shaking Kaboom. A pity, in a way. Those are so very, very difficult to cover up ;)

Since we're talking about a non-appearance of key people from the prison, I think this is what happened (as I speculated in another thread where Rayno is panicking over something that happened at the prison)

dobriennm wrote:
Okay, as others have said Duckk really nailed the important part - Rayno isn't just panicking - he's freaking out

So, some sort of knockout gas, nanites to knock people out, basically render everyone unconscious. Then land an air lorry or assault shuttle, spirit EVERYONE! away. Leaving no blood or explosions or mayhem behind.

That would freak out anyone. Safehold doesn't seem to have ghost stories (or at least not revealed to by the author). Knowing this has to involve sejins/demons, it reveals a capability never shown before on Safehold.

So no mayhem, dead bodies, explosions, just a mysteriously empty prison and NO non-divine explanations possible.

Nope. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Post by Dilandu   » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:09 pm

Dilandu
Admiral

Something really interesting... Something either too embarassing for Clyntahn to reveal... or frightening enough, so he is actually too scared to reveal what's happened. Quite interesting, indeed.
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Post by Direwolf18   » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:00 pm

Direwolf18
Captain of the List

So where are we. Ducharin is once again a badass of a beuracrat (sp?). And there is what appears to be a massive prison break where the inquisitors and guards were... Indisposed.

And by indisposed I mean most likely gutted like god damn fish. Nimue sounded PISSED. Makes that team she beat the living piss out of that asshat from the corsidian royal guard as mildly miffed.

Anyways so the guards are all kinds of dead and a lot of prisoners who are Clynthans greatest triumph, Almost assuredly members of the Fist of God, just disappear.

All the peices are coming together. Yup prison break and may just include that assault shuttle from that cover.

I call this fan frigging tastic!

Return to Safehold