Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 42 guests

An SoV out of order snippet

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: An SoV out of order snippet
Post by drinksmuchcoffee   » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:23 pm

drinksmuchcoffee
Lieutenant Commander

I've had a sneaking suspicion for the last few books that someone in Maya or Erewhon is working with the Alignment -- possibly without even knowing that they are.

It would also make a lot of sense for the Alignment to plant an agent close to Barragos, even if only to keep an eye on him.

I'd also expect Admiral Givens to have a treecat by now.
Post by Erls   » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:32 pm

Erls
Captain (Junior Grade)

drinksmuchcoffee wrote:I've had a sneaking suspicion for the last few books that someone in Maya or Erewhon is working with the Alignment -- possibly without even knowing that they are.

It would also make a lot of sense of the Alignment to plant an agent close to Barragos, even if only to keep an eye on them.

I've had this thought myself.

The only combination of reasons I can see that would justify sending Givens to the Maya Sector:

1- The GA is fully aware of what the Maya Sector has been up to, and want to urge them to come out into the open a bit more. Perhaps she is visiting post-Beowulf incident and the League is starting to fracture and the GA wants to urge Maya to pull out as a block - perhaps by offering a few battle squadrons of Apollo SD(P)s as a secret backup?

2- The GA has also identified 1 or more highly ranked individuals within the Maya Sector who have ties to the MAlign, and do not believe Barregos would believe anyone lower ranked than Givens. The GA wants Barregos to have them taken and turned over for interrogation.

OR

2a - The GA has found that Darius/The Twins/etc is located somewhere near the Maya Sector, and knowing what the sector's plans are wants to make them aware of what is happening. As well as inform Barregos that Givens happened to have caught a ride with a SD(P) division with some Sag-Cs and a CLAC as support as a tag-a-long group to a GA battle fleet heading to take out whatever MAlign base they found.
Post by cthia   » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:32 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

drinksmuchcoffee wrote:I've had a sneaking suspicion for the last few books that someone in Maya or Erewhon is working with the Alignment -- possibly without even knowing that they are.

It would also make a lot of sense for the Alignment to plant an agent close to Barragos, even if only to keep an eye on him.

Which would gel fairly well with my persistent hopes that Michelle will inadvertently uncover something MAlignant and send details back home to Manticore who decides to ship Givens off without packing.

IOW, your post is a "frisson" of "déjà vu".

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:37 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

But she can't be seen with a treecat if she's incognito? And if the MAlign is watching Barregos then Givens really is in danger as the "nanite option" could be triggered.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by BobG   » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:27 pm

BobG
Captain (Junior Grade)

cthia wrote:Givens/RMN has gotten hold of a morsel of crumbs left by the MAlign and the only person qualified to follow the crumb is Givens. And the trail leads back to Barregos somehow as the one who can further elucidate.

If I got any crumbs about the MAlign, I'd send Victor and Anton.

-- Bob G
SF & Fantasy: The only things better than Chocolate.
Post by Lunan   » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:59 pm

Lunan
Captain of the List

lol

runsforcelery wrote:

And maybe it's a typo . . . . .
Post by cthia   » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:23 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

BobG wrote:
cthia wrote:Givens/RMN has gotten hold of a morsel of crumbs left by the MAlign and the only person qualified to follow the crumb is Givens. And the trail leads back to Barregos somehow as the one who can further elucidate.

If I got any crumbs about the MAlign, I'd send Victor and Anton.

-- Bob G

I would too. Or rather, I'd send anyone except Givens - too valuable. As I said, perhaps Givens — having seen all of the classified data and has had time to confer with Shannon and Sonja about Herlander Simoes' revelations — is better qualified to follow the crumb. It could be time sensitive. Besides, who says Victor and Anton aren't there?

My overarching intuition is that Givens' travel plans are MAlign related. Can't see anything else so important to risk her. In addition, I'd like to know if her trip is before or after the Beowulf fiasco.

Edit:
If I'm right, it'll also go far in setting the galaxy back right and giving Givens/ONI a chance at some get back for totally being duped by the MAlign making a mockery of, and insulting, their "intelligence."

Post by SCC   » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:50 am

SCC
Commander

Erls wrote:2a - The GA has found that Darius/The Twins/etc is located somewhere near the Maya Sector, and knowing what the sector's plans are wants to make them aware of what is happening. As well as inform Barregos that Givens happened to have caught a ride with a SD(P) division with some Sag-Cs and a CLAC as support as a tag-a-long group to a GA battle fleet heading to take out whatever MAlign base they found.

The wormhole in Torch connects to The Twins, and personally I find it hard to believe that that hyper-physicist they got out knows nothing about them, such as them existing.
Post by Eagleeye   » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:10 am

Eagleeye
Commodore

SCC wrote:
Erls wrote:2a - The GA has found that Darius/The Twins/etc is located somewhere near the Maya Sector, and knowing what the sector's plans are wants to make them aware of what is happening. As well as inform Barregos that Givens happened to have caught a ride with a SD(P) division with some Sag-Cs and a CLAC as support as a tag-a-long group to a GA battle fleet heading to take out whatever MAlign base they found.

The wormhole in Torch connects to The Twins, and personally I find it hard to believe that that hyper-physicist they got out knows nothing about them, such as them existing.

If memory serves, the twins were discovered by a Jessyk-Combine vessel. And then hold tightly under wraps afterwards. So, no: there is no reason, Dr. Kare should know about the twins; assuming, Jessyk and (afterwards) the MAlign managed to keep them secret - and that was the case, obviously.
Post by Rincewind   » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:39 am

Rincewind
Captain (Junior Grade)

feyhunde wrote:
Direwolf18 wrote:Now that you mention yea vice admiral confuses me. If anyone deserves full admiral it would be her.

Second Space Lord is a Civilian Job technically, so maybe that doesn't count as time in rank, especially since she's been either Second Space Lord on on the Beach since ~1905 PD.

Maybe also there's no slot for a full admiral in ONI?

If RFC is following Royal Navy practice (as he seems to be mostly) for the Royal Manticoran Navy then Second Space Lord would definitely be one for a serving officer. Certainly, in the Second World War, the RN's Director of Naval Intelligence was a serving officer.

All Space Lords would be serving officers, it's only the Lords of the Admiralty who would be civilians or former officers.

Return to Honorverse