Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

References, Winks & Nods to Other Works? (SPOILERS LIKELY)

The "Prince Roger" books, co-authored by David and John Ringo, are a well-loved series...join us for further conversations!
Re: References, Winks & Nods to Other Works? (SPOILERS LIKEL
Post by Skywatcher44   » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:41 pm

Skywatcher44
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Starsaber wrote:
jtg452 wrote:I'm certain that any resemblance between the big green 4 armed, bipedal Mardukan warriors and the big, green, 4 armed, bipedal Green Martians of the John Carter series is purely a coincidence.

Yep, the civan riders of Therdan and the Tharks of John Carter's Barsoom are nothing alike.

And Dogzard bears no resemblance to Woola, too.

I did notice that when I saw the John Carter movie.

IF this means you have not read the Barsoom novels, go IMMEDIATELY to Gutenberg and download and read them! You really do not know what you are missing if you have not read this series.
Post by jtg452   » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:30 pm

jtg452
Captain of the List

Skywatcher44 wrote:IF this means you have not read the Barsoom novels, go IMMEDIATELY to Gutenberg and download and read them! You really do not know what you are missing if you have not read this series.

Actually, that was intended as sarcasm. I read my first ERB book back during the Carter Administration.
Post by Caseyorourke   » Wed May 07, 2014 10:58 am

Caseyorourke

In the prologue of March to the Sea, There is a reference from the TV show Hogan's Heroes where Jin calls the majority of his bully-boy companions "Shultzes," guards who see, hear, do and know "NOTHING!!!!!"
Post by KNick   » Wed May 07, 2014 8:07 pm

KNick
Admiral

jtg452 wrote:
Skywatcher44 wrote:IF this means you have not read the Barsoom novels, go IMMEDIATELY to Gutenberg and download and read them! You really do not know what you are missing if you have not read this series.

Actually, that was intended as sarcasm. I read my first ERB book back during the Carter Administration.

I guess I should go back and read them again, since I last read them during the Kennedy Administration.
_

Try to take a fisherman's fish and you will be tomorrows bait!!!
Post by Hank Plantagenet   » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:56 pm

Hank Plantagenet

Poertena channels his inner Scarface when fighting the Krath in March to the Stars.

"'Say hello to my leetle priend!' he shouted, then swung over and down at the head of the barrel like a golfer."
Post by pldew   » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:44 pm

pldew
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

I liked the Hogan's Hero's reference: Guards as "Schultzes". Obscure but awesome.
Post by lordcptncmdr   » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:09 am

lordcptncmdr
Midshipman

when Honal is about to leave the base in his shadow wolf attack craft his battle speech is a quote from theodan in lord of the rings. " arise sevan brothers fell deeds await now for wrath now for ruin. and a red dawn"
( i listen to the books so forgive any misspelling of names)
Post by justdave   » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:14 pm

justdave
Lieutenant Commander

Crom wrote:
I would LOVE to read the references that others have found. If we could compile them all it would be a darn fun read.

Thanks.

There's also a homage to Jim Baen in the reference to the great playwright and writer of sonnets the Earl of Oxford.

Return to Empire of Man