Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 32 guests

A waaaaay out of order snippet

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
A waaaaay out of order snippet
Post by runsforcelery   » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:11 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

Just so you don't think the good guys are going to have it all their way . . . . . :twisted:

---------------------------------------------------

“Father,” she said carefully, “I don’t know anything about any conspiracies. Frankly, I can’t believe Alahnah does, either, but I can assure you that I don’t.”

“Then you have nothing to worry about,” he told her, and twitched his head at the monk standing behind her.

She couldn’t see the man, but she knew he was there, and her right hand shot towards her mouth as he reached for her. Her lips parted and her eyes closed in a quick, final prayer. Then her hand was at her mouth and —

Her eyes flared wide once more as the monk’s fingers closed on her wrist. He’d been primed and ready for such an order, and his own hand had started moving an instant before hers. Now it stopped her fingers a fraction of an inch from her lips. She twisted desperately around to face him, clawing at his eyes with her free hand, fighting to wrench free and get the locket into her mouth, but he only turned his face away from her fingernails and twisted the arm he’d captured up and behind her. Something popped and tore in her elbow and she cried out in anguish and went to her knees, her face white with pain, then screamed through gritted teeth as he twisted even harder to keep her there.

“And what do we have here?” the under-priest said very softly, bending over her as one of the guardsmen caught her other arm, twisting it behind her as well and stilling her desperate struggles.

She stared up at them, panting hard, fear and defiance blazing in her eyes. There was no hope to keep those emotions company, yet she refused to look away, despite the awful pain in her ruined elbow as the monk forced her hand to turn palm-uppermost, his strength mocking her own, and pried her fingers apart. The under-priest reached out and peeled the locket from her palm, holding it up to the light, and his eyes flamed with triumph.

“So we’ve netted a rather bigger fish than I’d expected,” he murmured, closing his fist around the locket and sliding it into his coat pocket. “Oh, I’ve wanted to meet one of you for a long, long time.”

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Re: A waaaaay out of order snippet
Post by Joat42   » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:09 pm

Joat42
Admiral

Winding us up, eh? :lol:

It would seem that one of the sisters are in deep trouble... and that the inquisition knows about the sisters - or at least that there are some organization out there working against them.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by ksandgren   » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:16 pm

ksandgren
Captain (Junior Grade)

Dazed and confused a little, but grateful for the snippet. Thanks RFC!
Post by McGuiness   » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:28 pm

McGuiness
Rear Admiral

Oh dear, it appears that the cell of Helm Cleaver based at Mistress Marzho's Fine Miliners in Zion has been discovered by the Inquisition...

So have they captured Zhorzhet Styvynsyn, who is only a member of Helm Cleaver, or did they capture the big prize and nab Mistress Marzho, who is head of her Helm Cleaver cell in Zion and a Sister of Saint Khody as well?

Where is Seijin Murphai when you need him?

Clearly we have an example here of Murphai's law at work... ;)

Thanks RFC for the tantalizing snippet, although it's left me rather worried for Aivah's entire "Fist of God" organization in Zion, and for all the Sisters of Saint Kohdy as well! I've quite enjoyed the list of dead vicars that has trickled out of Zion over the last couple of books.

"Oh bother", said Pooh as he glanced through the airlock window at the helmet he'd forgotten to wear.
Post by roseandheather   » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:56 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

You live but to torture us, don't you, sir?

Good thing I'm a flaming masochist. :mrgreen:
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by Henry Brown   » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:05 pm

Henry Brown
Commodore

Oh good. You are back to tormenting us with out of order snippets which we don't have the context to properly evaluate and which we will speculate about endlessly and probably without accuracy. ***FINALLY*** things are back to normal. :lol:

But in all seriousness, I think I speak for everybody here when I say we've noticed your long absence from the forums and we've have missed you, RFC. I just want to say welcome back and that I hope you have finally caught up on your writing.
Post by Thrandir   » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:26 am

Thrandir
Commander

Nice one RFC just the type of twisting we have come to admire from you.
Good to see you are again living up to your lofty reputation of giving us all the material required to pose grand ideas/plots etc.. that have no bearing on what you have actually planned and written!

Hopefully some nice Seijin or agent will mitigate her pain and prevent too much damage being done.
Of course the question I want to know ... now ... is how they managed to get lucky and capture one.
Post by Sharp Claw   » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:06 am

Sharp Claw
Lieutenant Commander

Mistress Marzho is not only the head of her cell but the head of Nynians Zion organization, so she could do considerable damage if she was captured and told all she knew. Hopefully, Nynian is watching with a snarc and can get other members of Helm Cleaver, one of owls remotes or a sejin to rescue or assassinate her before she is whisked away to the temple.
Post by lyonheart   » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:47 am

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi RFC!

Three snippets in two days?

What a rich bounty you have given us, after so long missing your snippets and post comments, I'm still way behind catching up.

So thank you very much again.

L

Sharp Claw wrote:Mistress Marzho is not only the head of her cell but the head of Nynians Zion organization, so she could do considerable damage if she was captured and told all she knew. Hopefully, Nynian is watching with a snarc and can get other members of Helm Cleaver, one of owls remotes or a sejin to rescue or assassinate her before she is whisked away to the temple.
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by Kakai   » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:36 pm

Kakai
Commander

:o TWO SNIPPETS IN TWO DAYS?! WHAT MADNESS IS THIS?!!!

Honestly though, yay! Nothing like an out-of-order, good-guys-in-trouble snippet to get the forum speculating.

For some reason, when reading this, my first thought went to Nynian being the "she", as she's the only one I remember having a suicide locket. Wouldn't that be a particularly dire situation for the heroes. But then again, the behaviour doesn't sound much like her and how would she get in this situation anyway? I think you folks are probably more on-the-mark than me with this being Mistress Marzho.

Does anyone remember how much she knows about Merlin? I'm quite behind in my reread, but I seem to recall her meeting at least one member of the "seijin network". If she lets that spill and the CoGA folks set up a trap for totally-not-Merlin, things could get pretty interesting pretty quickly.
-----------
When in mortal danger, when beset by doubt,
Run in little circles, wave your arms and shout.

- Ciaphas Cain

Return to Safehold