Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

Am I the only one...

"Hell's Gate" and "Hell Hath No Fury", by David, Linda Evans, and Joelle Presby, take the clash of science and magic to a whole new dimension...join us in a friendly discussion of this engrossing series!
Am I the only one...
Post by John Prigent   » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:07 am

John Prigent
Captain of the List

who automatically reads Gadriel as Galadriel thank to many years' enjoyment of the Tolkien books, and thinks that hobbits and Rohirrim to appear in the Multiverse?
Cheers
John
Re: Am I the only one...
Post by Howard T. Map-addict   » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:48 am

Howard T. Map-addict
Rear Admiral

Well, I did that at first, but taught myself not to.
So you might be the only one left.

HTM

John Prigent wrote:who automatically reads Gadriel as Galadriel thank to many years' enjoyment of the Tolkien books, and thinks that hobbits and Rohirrim to appear in the Multiverse?
Cheers
John
Post by John Prigent   » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:01 pm

John Prigent
Captain of the List

I do hope not! But what worries me is that it might work in reverse as well - what might that do to my enjoyment next time I read LotR?
Cheers
JOhn

Howard T. Map-addict wrote:Well, I did that at first, but taught myself not to.
So you might be the only one left.

HTM

John Prigent wrote:who automatically reads Gadriel as Galadriel thank to many years' enjoyment of the Tolkien books, and thinks that hobbits and Rohirrim to appear in the Multiverse?
Cheers
John
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:36 pm

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

Cheers
John

I keep reading it as Gabriel which I guess is really a masculine name but... are angles defined by sex... and if so, has any one heard of a feminine angle.
But I also have dyslexia and have to fight a lot of little quarks.
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Post by Howard T. Map-addict   » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:35 pm

Howard T. Map-addict
Rear Admiral

::a Naughty Moose replies::

IfIRecallCorrectly :lol:

and only if IRC, acute angles are considered feminine,
and obtuse angles masculine.

Naughty Moose

C. O. Thompson wrote:
Cheers
John

I keep reading it as Gabriel which I guess is really a masculine name but... are angles defined by sex... and if so, has any one heard of a feminine angle.
Post by Howard T. Map-addict   » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:38 pm

Howard T. Map-addict
Rear Admiral

In that case, John, you will have more evidence of Galadrial's
powerful magic than JRRT chose to give!
:) :D :lol:

Naughty Moose

John Prigent wrote: But what worries me is that it might work in reverse as well - what might that do to my enjoyment next time I read LotR?
Cheers
JOhn

Cheers
John
[/quote]
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:40 pm

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

Howard T. Map-addict wrote:::a Naughty Moose replies::

IfIRecallCorrectly :lol:

and only if IRC, acute angles are considered feminine,
and obtuse angles masculine.

Naughty Moose

John

Well there you go... part of my dyslexia sees the el le and gets them wrong > 80% but... my spell checker said it was correct. :roll:
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Post by Max   » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:08 am

Max
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

John Prigent wrote:Am I the only one who automatically reads Gadriel as Galadriel thank to many years' enjoyment of the Tolkien books, and thinks that hobbits and Rohirrim to appear in the Multiverse?
Cheers
John

Hmm. I had to stop and think about that one...

But no, there was/is a weak connection but not an equivalence... Still fun to think about... Disconnect from Gabriel... If it had been the Safehold series, there might have been a connection to Gabriel... Just meandering...

Max
Post by crucisnh   » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:55 pm

crucisnh
Ensign

Something that gets me is, particularly in the latest book, how people in formal settings (like at those military hearings and the trial) have been referring to Gadriel as Magister Gadriel, rather than how she was referred to in the previous books and what makes more sense to me ... Magister Kelbryan.

To me, saying "Magister Gadriel" is like saying "Hundred Jasak" rather what's more proper, "Hundred Olderhan". I don't recall anyone referring to Jasak as "Hundred Jasak". It was always "Hundred Olderhan" or just "Jasak", depending on the situation.

I wish that they'd get back to calling her Magister Kelbryan in formal settings, and reserve Gadriel for the informal settings.

Return to Multiverse