Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests

The destruction of Chava

"Hell's Gate" and "Hell Hath No Fury", by David, Linda Evans, and Joelle Presby, take the clash of science and magic to a whole new dimension...join us in a friendly discussion of this engrossing series!
Re: The destruction of Chava
Post by StealthSeeker   » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:22 pm

StealthSeeker
Commander

n7axw wrote:
(snip)

As for Chava, discovering his involvement in the assassination plot might mean that he tries to reassert Uromathia's independence rather than submitting to Caliraths and facing justice for what he has done, How does the rest of Sharona react to that?

Don

-

Thank you, this is some of that alternate thinking and imagination on possibilities that I was looking for.

If this were to happen I wonder how successful he could be by trying to hide out at home in that way. How many of his satellite states would stay with him when it becomes known that he was behind the assassination attempt? I think it would be wonderful if in hiding at home, one of the women he abused in the past managed to assassinate him with a poison of some sort. Maybe that fellow who was adopted by the prince's falcon comes home and turns his own army against him. I want all his scheming to come back and really bite him in the back side. I want him bouncing off the walls like a frightened rabbit as the world collapses around him. I really, really don't like the Chava character.
-
-
I think therefore I am.... I think
Post by Louis R   » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:28 am

Louis R
Rear Admiral

err... last i checked, the fellow who was adopted by Taleena was a Ternathian named Rof chan Skrithik, who happens to be a Regiment-Captain in the PAAF and doesn't _have_ 'his own army' to turn against Chava, much as he might like to.

as for Chava's grip on his empire, that will depend a great deal on how his subordinates view slaughtering Caliraths [strongly in favour, for the most part] and what they judge is the effect that the response of the rest of the world to the idea will have on them, personally [probably a rather wider range]. combined, of course, with how tight a grip the Emperor's police have on said subordinates.

StealthSeeker wrote:
n7axw wrote:
(snip)

As for Chava, discovering his involvement in the assassination plot might mean that he tries to reassert Uromathia's independence rather than submitting to Caliraths and facing justice for what he has done, How does the rest of Sharona react to that?

Don

-

Thank you, this is some of that alternate thinking and imagination on possibilities that I was looking for.

If this were to happen I wonder how successful he could be by trying to hide out at home in that way. How many of his satellite states would stay with him when it becomes known that he was behind the assassination attempt? I think it would be wonderful if in hiding at home, one of the women he abused in the past managed to assassinate him with a poison of some sort. Maybe that fellow who was adopted by the prince's falcon comes home and turns his own army against him. I want all his scheming to come back and really bite him in the back side. I want him bouncing off the walls like a frightened rabbit as the world collapses around him. I really, really don't like the Chava character.
Post by thanatos   » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:25 pm

thanatos
Captain (Junior Grade)

Howard T. Map-addict wrote:Thanatos,

IfIRecallCorrectly,
Porath's promotion at the start of R2H is from Javelin to Sword.

I agree with you that the short range of the hummers might cause
problems, which are not used in R2H. A hummer arrives in
Portalis exhausted, but it does get there. Harshu's AEF might
now be too far away for hummer communication, but that idea
has not yet been in the book, that I noticed.

Chapter 3 of RTH reads: "Commander of Five Hundred (acting) Alivar Neshok looked up from the report in his PC as Shield Lisaro Porath knocked once, opened his office door, and stepped through it...

Porath—a black-haired, brown-eyed Hilmaran with a thin mustache—was a solid, chunky, broad shouldered fellow whose hard face hinted at the flinty soul of the man who wore it. He’d been Javelin Porath up until about last week, when Neshok had finally managed to get him the promotion he’d so amply earned. It was a mark of the way Two Thousand Harshu and Thousand Toralk were busy pushing Neshok into obscurity now that they felt they no longer needed him that it had taken so long for Porath’s promotion to come through."

So not an oversight by Weber & Presby -- Not yet anyways.
Post by StealthSeeker   » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:19 pm

StealthSeeker
Commander

Louis R wrote:err... last i checked, the fellow who was adopted by Taleena was a Ternathian named Rof chan Skrithik, who happens to be a Regiment-Captain in the PAAF and doesn't _have_ 'his own army' to turn against Chava, much as he might like to.

Darn... I like the character of Rof chan Skrithik (as you say) and I would like it if he played an unexpectedly important part in the future goings on.

as for Chava's grip on his empire, that will depend a great deal on how his subordinates view slaughtering Caliraths [strongly in favour, for the most part] and what they judge is the effect that the response of the rest of the world to the idea will have on them, personally [probably a rather wider range]. combined, of course, with how tight a grip the Emperor's police have on said subordinates.

I want the world to turn against him! I want the walls of his empire, created by his lies and deceit, to crumble down around his ears as his panic to survive builds.
-
-
I think therefore I am.... I think
Post by Keith_w   » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:50 pm

Keith_w
Commodore

StealthSeeker wrote:
I want the world to turn against him! I want the walls of his empire, created by his lies and deceit, to crumble down around his ears as his panic to survive builds.

Couldn't happen to a more deserving guy. Of course, our fearless Chaser after Low Cal Vegetables designed him that way, but what the heck.
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Post by Howard T. Map-addict   » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:01 pm

Howard T. Map-addict
Rear Admiral

reply at bottom, to keep statements in order. HTM

thanatos wrote:
Howard T. Map-addict wrote:Thanatos,

IfIRecallCorrectly,
Porath's promotion at the start of R2H is from Javelin to Sword.

I agree with you that the short range of the hummers might cause
problems, which are not used in R2H. A hummer arrives in
Portalis exhausted, but it does get there. Harshu's AEF might
now be too far away for hummer communication, but that idea
has not yet been in the book, that I noticed.

HTM

Chapter 3 of RTH reads: "Commander of Five Hundred
(acting) Alivar Neshok looked up from the report in
his PC as Shield Lisaro Porath knocked once,
opened his office door, and stepped through it...

Porath—a black-haired, brown-eyed Hilmaran with a thin
mustache—was a solid, chunky, broad shouldered fellow
whose hard face hinted at the flinty soul of the man who
wore it. He’d been Javelin Porath up until about
last week, when Neshok had finally managed to get him
the promotion he’d so amply earned. It was a mark of the way Two Thousand Harshu and
Thousand Toralk were busy pushing Neshok into obscurity
now that they felt they no longer needed him that it
had taken so long for Porath’s promotion to come through."

So not an oversight by Weber & Presby -- Not yet anyways.

Yes, you read Chapter 3 as written, Thanatos,
and I had misread it.

Porath also appears on pages 454-5-6, in Chapter 34,
but his rank is not mentioned in that chapter.
It does say that he had been talking with another man,
also from Hilmar Continent (S America),
who is "almost twenty years younger" than Porath,
and whose rank is "Shield."

Reasons I had read that word as "Sword:"
In HHNF, on page 318, in Chapter (IIRC) 27,
we were told Nith vos-and-mul Gurthak's plans,
in the form of a report to the Council of Twelve.
That says that the signal for Porath to murder Neshok,
and then kill himself, would be his promotion to *Sword.*

Beyond that, Weber & Evans showed us the various ranks in
both worlds' armies, and usually showed the rank order.
They gave no data on whether Shield or Lance outranked
the other, but they made it clear that Javelin outranked
them both, and Sword outranked Javelin.

Therefore, moving Porath from Javelin to Shield would be
a *demotion* not a promotion. That is why I took it for
granted that his promotion was to Sword, and that "Shield"
was an authors' error. I considered it the next thing to
a typo. I usually correct typos that way.

HTM
Post by Howard T. Map-addict   » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:22 pm

Howard T. Map-addict
Rear Admiral

at bottom - HTM

StealthSeeker wrote:
Louis R wrote:err... last i checked, the fellow who was adopted
by Taleena was a Ternathian named Rof chan Skrithik,
who happens to be a Regiment-Captain in the PAAF and
doesn't _have_ 'his own army' to turn against Chava,
much as he might like to.

Darn... I like the character of Rof chan Skrithik
(as you say) and I would like it if he played
an unexpectedly important part in the future goings on.

as for Chava (snip)

I want the world to turn against him! I want the walls
of his empire, created by his lies and deceit, to crumble
down around his ears as his panic to survive builds.

Looks to me as if Weber & Presby are setting up RcS for
an Important Part: the part of a Ternath high officer making
friends with a high officer of Uromath (Markhan), and
reconciling the nations of Sharona into one country.
That is what I want, very much.

But we had better not let our emotions distort the story. :D

HTM
Post by Louis R   » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:19 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

While Chava Busar might turn out to be the last Emperor, he is far from the first. The Busars have been on their throne for at least 900 years - one of their beefs with the Caliraths was that the latter never bothered to challenge them when the frontier of Ternathia reached theirs. They stared them in the eye for a while - and then packed up shop and went back to western Europe without a word of explanation to anybody. Making it clear that they'd be back if the Busars tried anything with the nations they were turning loose. The Uromathian Empire hasn't changed much since. [hmmm... actually, it's probably more accurate to say that the western and southern edges haven't changed. it's not entirely clear what's going on to the east.]

Chava is probably going to be the last emperor of the Busar dynasty [it's not certain - one of his sons might have the, umm... honor. briefly.] Last Uromathian Emperor? That is _much_ less likely.

Keith_w wrote:
StealthSeeker wrote:

Couldn't happen to a more deserving guy. Of course, our fearless Chaser after Low Cal Vegetables designed him that way, but what the heck.

Return to Multiverse