Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Imperative - Tough Going

Set in the Starfire strategy game universe, co-authored by David and Steve White, these novels feature the clash of the Terran Federation, the cat-like Orions, the genocidal Rigelians, and the "Bugs"...join us in the discussion!
Imperative - Tough Going
Post by CRC   » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:56 am

CRC
Lieutenant Commander

Haven't finished it yet, but its a tough read so far. Nice seeing everyone again and what's happened. I'm going to have to re-read it several times to capture all the nuances.

Recommended simply because its better than a lot of the popcorn sci-fi on Amazon (filling but not nutritious), and I happen to be a fan of the series and the game, but no where near the edge of the seat, can't put the book down until I get to the end like Stars at War.
Re: Imperative - Tough Going
Post by n7axw   » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:59 am

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

CRC wrote:Haven't finished it yet, but its a tough read so far. Nice seeing everyone again and what's happened. I'm going to have to re-read it several times to capture all the nuances.

Recommended simply because its better than a lot of the popcorn sci-fi on Amazon (filling but not nutritious), and I happen to be a fan of the series and the game, but no where near the edge of the seat, can't put the book down until I get to the end like Stars at War.

I agree. But I thought that "Stars at War" went down hill toward the end. And I'd prefer character development on both sides of the conflict. In that series we don't get that until Crusade and Insurrection.

I love Safehold's depth. The rereading to catch the nuances are part of the fun as far as I am concerned.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by CRC   » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:08 pm

CRC
Lieutenant Commander

Completed.

Will have to re-read some of it. But that won't be for a while.

Really disappointed in the ending. Antonov's death in SAW was much more moving and poignant, Andrew's last charge brought tears to my eyes. Emotion is just missing in this book. Amazing how some authors can bring you to tears with just a few words.

The new technology doesn't make a lot of sense. It's sort of like cheating...once you read you will understand.

Only because it is the only starfire out there and there's nothing else to read would I recommend it.
Post by jchilds   » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:05 pm

jchilds
Captain of the List

I was a little disappointed, too - it had similarities to the parts of The Force Awakens I was underwhelmed with.

Also, did I miss something, or has there a lack of Gorm in the new books? I expected at least a sentence on selnarm vs. minisorchi (spelling?), but I don't remember one.
Post by CRC   » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:37 am

CRC
Lieutenant Commander

jchilds wrote:I was a little disappointed, too - it had similarities to the parts of The Force Awakens I was underwhelmed with.

Also, did I miss something, or has there a lack of Gorm in the new books? I expected at least a sentence on selnarm vs. minisorchi (spelling?), but I don't remember one.

I don't remember it, but could have easily missed it. I did wonder about that too.

Dandridge, over at Amazon, is now using "selnarmic" type communications, but the scientific basis of biologic quantum entanglement is still in its infancy in Sci-Fi.

Its one of the more interesting "new" avenues.

But I still yearn for the hard core mind to mind beat down between Kimball Kinnison and Gharlane of Eddore!
Post by Roguevictory   » Fri May 06, 2016 1:31 am

Roguevictory
Captain of the List

n7axw wrote:
CRC wrote:Haven't finished it yet, but its a tough read so far. Nice seeing everyone again and what's happened. I'm going to have to re-read it several times to capture all the nuances.

I agree. But I thought that "Stars at War" went down hill toward the end. And I'd prefer character development on both sides of the conflict. In that series we don't get that until Crusade and Insurrection.

I love Safehold's depth. The rereading to catch the nuances are part of the fun as far as I am concerned.

Don

-

Until Crusade and Insurrection? I could swear they were the first two books in the series with the Bug War Duology coming much later.
Post by CRC   » Fri May 06, 2016 1:12 pm

CRC
Lieutenant Commander

Crusade and Insurrection were #1 and #2.

Stars at War filled in the timeline between the two.

Exodus was a sequel to Insurrection.
Post by Roguevictory   » Fri May 26, 2017 3:09 am

Roguevictory
Captain of the List

Having finally read this I liked it a lot though not as much as the 4th ISW books or Insurrection. I find it kind of amusing that they have finally decided to at least temporarily do something to halt the trend towards bigger and bigger ships. When you've reached the point where you regularly need to modify warp points to get your heaviest warships through it is long past time to focus on better ships rather then bgger ships IMO.

And I think the destructive potential of the kinetic weapons in this book has gone past the point of absurdity especially since somehow no one has defenses against such things. Though why they can't just use proximity missile detonations to intercept them is beyond me. Sure they are fast but they are also traveling a predictable course.

Return to Starfire