Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], ThinksMarkedly and 42 guests

The Merch? (Or: Rosie Speculates on T-shirts & Other Things)

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: The Merch? (Or: Rosie Speculates on T-shirts & Other Thi
Post by cthia   » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:48 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Thanks Vince for posting that. It certainly shows that there must have been an election. As I was before and even now, I'm just not so sure how much of a campaign.

I did miss that there was eighteen months in-between the unfriendly removal of Saint Just and Pritchart assuming office. And logic dictates that she would have been officially listed as a candidate in the running of the office available to all who might also run.

I just don't get the feeling that she had to actively campaign. And I always got the feeling that it was just handed to her. It begs the question of who actually campaigned against her. Was there anyone? I seem to vaguely feel that there was at least one.

At any rate, the tees could not have been printed and worn while the incumbent lived.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:44 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Wouldn't it be hilariously cool if Harkness wore this when he was out with his wife...
The real Beauty and the Beast.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:45 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

The most popular government sponsored tee on all fronts...
GA

IN THE GRANDEST SCHEME OF THINGS

Post by roseandheather   » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:04 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

cthia wrote:Thanks Vince for posting that. It certainly shows that there must have been an election. As I was before and even now, I'm just not so sure how much of a campaign.

I did miss that there was eighteen months in-between the unfriendly removal of Saint Just and Pritchart assuming office. And logic dictates that she would have been officially listed as a candidate in the running of the office available to all who might also run.

I just don't get the feeling that she had to actively campaign. And I always got the feeling that it was just handed to her. It begs the question of who actually campaigned against her. Was there anyone? I seem to vaguely feel that there was at least one.

At any rate, the tees could not have been printed and worn while the incumbent lived.

Giancola the Twat campaigned against her.

He... lost. Badly. :twisted:

I'm still waiting for the ten-volume novel series covering the events of the second Havenite revolution, by the way. Hint hint, RFC! :mrgreen:
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by cthia   » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:24 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

roseandheather wrote:
cthia wrote:Thanks Vince for posting that. It certainly shows that there must have been an election. As I was before and even now, I'm just not so sure how much of a campaign.

Giancola the Twat campaigned against her.

He... lost. Badly. :twisted:

I'm still waiting for the ten-volume novel series covering the events of the second Havenite revolution, by the way. Hint hint, RFC! :mrgreen:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hilariously funny! I didn't know that a male could be elected to that title. My friends aren't going to like me much anymore! Their nomenclature has suddenly taken a turn for the... better! evil grin

I knew I remembered someone opposing her. Giancola!

Thanks Rose.

I wonder how he was actually doing in the polls.

Post by Somtaaw   » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:56 pm

Somtaaw
Rear Admiral

Pritchart was in charge of the interim government immediately after Theisman and Saint-Just had their meeting, and Theisman was looking around for someone, anyone to take the political side. The exact nature of his relationship which led to him talking to Javier, which led to Eloise Prithcart becoming temporary President I'm not exactly sure.

She then leads the slagging of the People's Republic constitution, the resurrection of the old one which was voted on by the people, and then because she held the elections exactly when she said she would, she won by a landslide, something like 60% of the vote went to her IIRC.

Giancola actively campaigned against Pritchart, and was the second highest voted, and I think he pulled in about 30%, and an unknown number of 'other candidates' split the remaining votes between them.

Exactly how/why the Havenite Constitution required Pritchart to put someone who campaigned against her in her Cabinet, is a bit beyond my understanding though. As it says in the early bit of AAC, during the meeting between Prichart and Usher... Giancola's actions could have led to doubt on Pritchart's leadership abilities, regardless of the fact she had no idea that Giancola was doing manipulation, and could have brought their Constitution down.

The Manticoran system of only friendly/allied groups being the actual decision makers, with any hostile/enemy politicians being an Opposition without any real power... I can understand that. I just don't understand either the Havenite, or some of the Talbott Cluster governments (Kornati for example) where a competitor politician is perfectly positioned to 'pull a Giancola' and cause trouble. Although in Kornati's case, it was the elected official causing the trouble, and the 'hostile' competition who was trying to set things right (much to dismay of the elected official)
Post by Jonathan_S   » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:58 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Somtaaw wrote:Exactly how/why the Havenite Constitution required Pritchart to put someone who campaigned against her in her Cabinet, is a bit beyond my understanding though. As it says in the early bit of AAC, during the meeting between Prichart and Usher... Giancola's actions could have led to doubt on Pritchart's leadership abilities, regardless of the fact she had no idea that Giancola was doing manipulation, and could have brought their Constitution down.
That happened in the early United States Presidential elections - and not totally cleared up until the 12th Amendment in 1804 (which among other things mandated the use to seperate ballots for the office of President and the office of Vice President). Originally, prior to that the US Constitution says that the person with the 2nd most votes in the Electoral College becomes the Vice President of the United States.

So originally nobody ran specifically for VP, instead the runner up simply was. Then political parties came about and there were plans for the winning party to cast their electoral votes such that their Presidential candidate got at least 1 more vote than their VP candidate. But that didn't always work out...

As early as 1796 where because of disagreement about who the Federalists wanted as VP, they elected John Adams president but split their other votes sufficiently that the Democratic-Republican Thomas Jefferson came second and was VP to John Adams; even though he was from a different Party and disagreed with Adams and the Federalists on a number of major issues.

Then there was the election of 1800 screw-up where due to some kind of miscommunication the winning Democratic-Republican party managed to cast an identical number of votes for the President and Vice Presidential candidates - which kicked the whole thing to the House of Representatives where it apparently took 36 ballots before settling on Jefferson over Burr for President (which was the Democratic-Republican's original plan)

It's probably not a great thing to saddle a President with an opposing VP, but it's not without historical precedent.
Post by Somtaaw   » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:48 pm

Somtaaw
Rear Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:-snip-
It's probably not a great thing to saddle a President with an opposing VP, but it's not without historical precedent.

Ah, so there's historical precedent for it having existed... and then Haven decides to make the same silly mistakes. Likely for plot reasons, that awesome force that causes many a thing to get slanted to make the story better.

But some understanding has now grown in this thick-headed Canadian's head now. I must now depart, and ponder on these things while gnawing on frozen maple syrup and debate with some beavers.
Post by niethil   » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:24 am

niethil
Commander

I'd think Giancola's being on Pritchard's government had more to do with the situation (in all senses of the term) than any formal obligation.
-------------
'Oh, oh' he said in English. Evidently, he had completely mastered that language.
Post by roseandheather   » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:37 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

niethil wrote:I'd think Giancola's being on Pritchard's government had more to do with the situation (in all senses of the term) than any formal obligation.

That's what I recall, too - that it wasn't a requirement, but she chose to add him to her Cabinet as a show of respect/unity or for other political reasons.
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."

Return to Honorverse