Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests

so, what is our favorite author up to?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
so, what is our favorite author up to?
Post by Lunan   » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:38 pm

Lunan
Captain of the List

So. i seem to have found NO reports from honorcon 15.

With the next hells gate book now out.(in earc) and a title up for next safehold. and with John Ringo having sent his part of the next Prince Roger to HIMSELF.

I CANT FIND ANYTHING AS TO WHAT DAVID IS ACTUALLY WORKING ON. This is the least info that i ever recall having as to upcoming projects ever.
Does anyone (duckk maybe) have some info to share. also does anyone have HONORCON panels or infoto share for those who couldn't go?
Re: so, what is our favorite author up to?
Post by cthia   » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:54 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Hasn't he begun the next Honorverse blockbuster hit?

I hope so, 'cause I'm sick of cake.

"Cake?," you ask.

"RFC, they're begging for snippets!," says Duckk.

"Let them eat cake."

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Vince   » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:27 pm

Vince
Vice Admiral

Lunan wrote:So. i seem to have found NO reports from honorcon 15.

With the next hells gate book now out.(in earc) and a title up for next safehold. and with John Ringo having sent his part of the next Prince Roger to HIMSELF.

I CANT FIND ANYTHING AS TO WHAT DAVID IS ACTUALLY WORKING ON. This is the least info that i ever recall having as to upcoming projects ever.
Does anyone (duckk maybe) have some info to share. also does anyone have HONORCON panels or infoto share for those who couldn't go?

I'm not certain what David is working on right now, but Baen editor Tony Daniels announced on the 25 December 2015 Baen Free Radio Hour podcast that a new solo Honor Harrington novel by David Weber titled Shadow of Victory is due out in Fall 2016 (announcement is at 2 minutes 33 seconds). No mention of what month of Fall 2016.

Baen Free Radio Hour podcasts

BFRH 2015 12 25: Frank Chadwick on Come the Revolution; and John Ringo's Under a Graveyard Sky Part 29

My WAG* is David is currently doing the final pass on that book.

* WAG = Wild Ass Guess
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Post by kzt   » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:21 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Honorcon turned into a mix of fluffycon and cosplaycon and st/swcon. So I blew this one off.
Post by JohnRoth   » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:32 am

JohnRoth
Admiral

Vince wrote:

I'm not certain what David is working on right now, but Baen editor Tony Daniels announced on the 25 December 2015 Baen Free Radio Hour podcast that a new solo Honor Harrington novel by David Weber titled Shadow of Victory is due out in Fall 2016 (announcement is at 2 minutes 33 seconds). No mention of what month of Fall 2016.

BFRH 2015 12 25: Frank Chadwick on Come the Revolution; and John Ringo's Under a Graveyard Sky Part 29

* WAG = Wild Ass Guess

That sounds reasonable. We knew he was working on the sequel to Shadow of Freedom, and then that he was about two months later than he'd scheduled, so finishing it up about now would be right. Six to eight months for editing and production seems awfully tight, though.
Post by cthia   » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:04 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I think he's mightily busy pondering the validity of the proposed strategy of tools and processes which are at his disposable that he will ultimately use to proceed in finally stripping several thick coats off the corner he's painted in reducing an 800 lb gorilla into many tiny little Rhesus monkeys all in one book to the satisfaction of readers without damaging the law of the suspension of disbelief without an additional cavalry of colliers carrying a cavalcade handling handy handwavium.

Waiting to inhale.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Jonathan_S   » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:52 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:

Honorcon turned into a mix of fluffycon and cosplaycon and st/swcon. So I blew this one off.

Since Timothy Zahn didn't appear this year there wasn't the SW/ST presence. But there also wasn't a lot of new material on upcoming main timeline Honorverse books.

Tom Pope and RFC did talk a little about the next Travis Long (Manticore Ascendant) book - apparently we'll see the (still fairly young) Andermandi empire a bit in there.

David also dropped the tidbit that that far back in time the SLN was a long way from the juggernaut it later became (before becoming an obsolete juggernaut). It relied on mercenaries, like Gustov Andermandi, and one reason he got such a nice retirement package is that he invented the 'modern' battleship. And IIRC his deal with the League was he got the first 5, the SLN got the next 15, and he got to take his toy and retire far, far, away. But they weren't sure if we'd see the brand new, baddest ship in the galaxy, BBs "on-screen" or if we'd end up getting more about them in the future Honorverse companion that covers the Andies.
Post by munroburton   » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:48 pm

munroburton
Admiral

JohnRoth wrote:
Vince wrote:I'm not certain what David is working on right now, but Baen editor Tony Daniels announced on the 25 December 2015 Baen Free Radio Hour podcast that a new solo Honor Harrington novel by David Weber titled Shadow of Victory is due out in Fall 2016 (announcement is at 2 minutes 33 seconds). No mention of what month of Fall 2016.

* WAG = Wild Ass Guess

That sounds reasonable. We knew he was working on the sequel to Shadow of Freedom, and then that he was about two months later than he'd scheduled, so finishing it up about now would be right. Six to eight months for editing and production seems awfully tight, though.

Give the man some time. RFC's putting to bed a series he's been working upon for 20 or 25 years - can't be easy. Especially with the awkward situation he's gotten into, with the GA being strategically invulnerable, the SL doomed no matter what happens and the MAlign with a blown cover.

Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised to find out he's sick to death of the Honorverse too, not to mention all the efforts diverted to Evergreen Studios more or less wasted. The original plan was to stop with At All Costs, so the project has definitely overran its schedule and budget!

Getting it right matters more than getting it done quickly. That said, if he's simply on a roll, by all means write away! :P
Post by Hutch   » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:58 pm

Hutch
Vice Admiral

Vince wrote: I'm not certain what David is working on right now, but Baen editor Tony Daniels announced on the 25 December 2015 Baen Free Radio Hour podcast that a new solo Honor Harrington novel by David Weber titled Shadow of Victory is due out in Fall 2016 (announcement is at 2 minutes 33 seconds). No mention of what month of Fall 2016.

* WAG = Wild Ass Guess

Hmmm....If they retain that name, it will ruin the past symmetry of one title with "Honor" in it and the next one without. Since the last mainline book was "A Rising Thunder", it seemed reasonable to expect the next to include Honor's name in it.

I guess (and that is all that it is), that if he is dedicated to finishing this arc in two more books, that they are reserving the "Honor Title" for the final book. Shadow of Victory indicates more of the Mike Henke and Talbott Sector storyline, which is great, but hopefully will be more expanisve than this.

*Sigh* I do wish RFC would stop by and let us know; it's hard to get excited when so much is hearsay and second/third-hand.
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by roseandheather   » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:09 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Hutch wrote:
Hmmm....If they retain that name, it will ruin the past symmetry of one title with "Honor" in it and the next one without. Since the last mainline book was "A Rising Thunder", it seemed reasonable to expect the next to include Honor's name in it.

I guess (and that is all that it is), that if he is dedicated to finishing this arc in two more books, that they are reserving the "Honor Title" for the final book. Shadow of Victory indicates more of the Mike Henke and Talbott Sector storyline, which is great, but hopefully will be more expanisve than this.

*Sigh* I do wish RFC would stop by and let us know; it's hard to get excited when so much is hearsay and second/third-hand.

Agreed. While I am never going to argue with more of Mike Henke and her compatriots in Talbott, I need me some more Grand Alliance action, and if I don't see Shannon and Sonja out at Bolthole, there will be tears.

I have to admit, I have my doubts as to how long this "two more books" thing will last -- I suspect the tale might grow in the telling, as the saying goes.
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."

Return to Honorverse