Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 35 guests

What, no planet kablooey?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: What, no planet kablooey?
Post by Loren Pechtel   » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:21 pm

Loren Pechtel
Rear Admiral

niethil wrote:And under making a planet entirely disappear : Nova Bomb (Andromeda), Dahak (Dahak), Vogon fleet (H2G2), spade and a lot of work (Ringworld, Dyson), Hypergate explosion (Lost Fleet), Negasphere (Lensman)

Above that level, there is nothing, except maybe Chuck Norris.

How about the nutcracker (Lensman)? An amalgamation of the three planets involved was left behind.

Or the n-space planet strike on Ploor (Lensman)? It's fate was considered undescribeable--C-frac has nothing on what happened to it.
Post by munroburton   » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:32 pm

munroburton
Admiral

niethil wrote:We might want a more precise statement for what we are thinking about. Something like a gradation in destructive power.

If I am not mistaken, based on previous posts and own reading, it burns down to this.

Under wiping out or seriously thinning the dominant specie : Meteor strikes (Starship Troopers), Nuclear Winter (real world), Proto-molecule (Caliban's War)

Under sterilising the planet : Shadow Planet Killer (B5), Foreshadow (Lexx), Sledgehammer (Shiva Option), Planetary Bombs (Yamato), Sunbeam (Lensman)

Under reducing a planet to debris : MD (Ender's Game), Death Star (Star Wars), Vorlon Eclipse Planet Killer (B5), C frac rocks (Dahak)

And under making a planet entirely disappear : Nova Bomb (Andromeda), Dahak (Dahak), Vogon fleet (H2G2), spade and a lot of work (Ringworld, Dyson), Hypergate explosion (Lost Fleet), Negasphere (Lensman)

If we're getting precise... http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... calypseHow
Post by saber964   » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:10 pm

saber964
Admiral

niethil wrote:We might want a more precise statement for what we are thinking about. Something like a gradation in destructive power.

If I am not mistaken, based on previous posts and own reading, it burns down to this.

Under wiping out or seriously thinning the dominant specie : Meteor strikes (Starship Troopers), Nuclear Winter (real world), Proto-molecule (Caliban's War)

Under sterilising the planet : Shadow Planet Killer (B5), Foreshadow (Lexx), Sledgehammer (Shiva Option), Planetary Bombs (Yamato), Sunbeam (Lensman)

Under reducing a planet to debris : MD (Ender's Game), Death Star (Star Wars), Vorlon Eclipse Planet Killer (B5), C frac rocks (Dahak)

And under making a planet entirely disappear : Nova Bomb (Andromeda), Dahak (Dahak), Vogon fleet (H2G2), spade and a lot of work (Ringworld, Dyson), Hypergate explosion (Lost Fleet), Negasphere (Lensman)

You forgot the Planet Killer in ST;TOS
Post by Weird Harold   » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:36 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

munroburton wrote:If we're getting precise... http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... calypseHow

The original premise of the thread is more http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... ringKaboom
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:43 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Well, the aforementioned Skylark series made a galaxy entirely disappear. That's a solid step up from making just a single planet disappear - but I leave it to you to decide how that ranks on a Chuck Norris scale :D
Post by munroburton   » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:49 am

munroburton
Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
munroburton wrote:If we're getting precise... http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... calypseHow

The original premise of the thread is more http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... ringKaboom

Basically a class X. Planetary annihilation. But even the OP wandered off into Class X-2s and included a bunch of class 5 and 6s.
Post by cthia   » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:44 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

exiledtoIA wrote:
cthia wrote:I'll email a sentiment@dahakverse.come-on!

I'm sorry. I just can't wrap my head around that much senseless killing. After awhile -- alright already! What in the Universe of a conflict can fuel that sort of a grudge? Or is it something simple -- like coffee beans developing a universal blight. Hey, only thing I can figure is a lack of coffee that can fuel that source of animosity.

I just remembered another planet killing source. Remember The Fifth Element? If it hadn't been for the lovely Milla Jovovich (Fifth Element), Earth would have been reduced to so much space dust.

Curious. Even in the Honorverse, as readers, we've often surmised the possibility of planet destruction by tossing huge asteroids at them. An option some of us thought available to the Masadans.

I'm curious, has anyone come across an incident where that particular method was actually used to destroy a planet? It would have happened in Armageddon if not for our unlikely band of heroes, but that was a random asteroid.

If so, please broadcast the transponder on the book. I'd like a read.

"The Shiva Option" by David Weber and Steve White.
Used "Sledgehammer" and "Hammer" class asteroids to destroy a "bug" planet.

I have the "Shiva Option" on my list as well. It caught my interest when I first logged on to Baen Books after joining the forums, which was, well, coming up on my two year anniversary as a member of this forum this month. My, how time hypers when you're having fun.

The Shiva Option has interested me since then, if only because of my curiosity about wanting to know exactly what the Shiva Option is -- which, I might add, I grossly miscalculated whilst failing to follow my own aged recommendation against trying to ascertain what's between the covers of a book by its title. The phrase should be "Don't judge a book by its cover or its title."

I imagined the Shiva Option to be somewhat of a tactical maneuver like the "Picard Maneuver" is a tactical maneuver.

It's okay though, I've been told that my embarrassment brings out the magic of my come-hither eyes.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:56 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:

Well, the aforementioned Skylark series made a galaxy entirely disappear. That's a solid step up from making just a single planet disappear - but I leave it to you to decide how that ranks on a Chuck Norris scale :D

Stargate SG1: Atlantis' Project Arcturus, my original post, mentions the ability to destroy 5/6 of a solar system.

And In Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths, the Quantum Eigenstate Device (QED) is a planet-killing or possibly universe-killing weapon.

These weapons are surely NOT set on stun - well, STUNNING, maybe.

I'm still quite curious of how an actual weapon of that magnitude is realistically tested. Talk about a record setting very loooooooong fuse. Or, if you misprogram its delayed activation -- like this would NOT be a time to trust someone else to remember to choose the correct AM or PM setting -- then kablooey your own tushy.

Why do the words of many moms, long long ago, suddenly keep popping into my head. "If I get you that Red Ryder BB Gun, you'll shoot your eye out."

What do these people's mom tell them? They can literally-accidentally blow themselves, their friends and everyone they've ever known eyes, hands, legs, head and arse clean off.

"Johnny," I'd rather you play with matches.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:16 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:

Harold, take a bow. You've just been awarded the Outstanding Link Award, Most Engaging Link Award, the Whatta Link Award, the Very Interesting Link Award and a few lesser awards like the Attaboy Award.

OLA, MELA, WLA, VILA, AA. You're approaching Harrington's weight of metal. And because of it, election into the League of Most Extinguishing Gentlemen.

Nice link. I've spent some time bouncing off the alpha walls within this link -- safety interlocks removed -- because my wife could've began accelerating large bodies of mass @ s-frac towards my head at any time because it wasn't what I should have been doing. Very interesting.

[ s-frac => the speed of skull fractures. ]

Power directly scales up doesn't it? If you can pack this much of a wallop in your starships then a hand weapon must really pack a punch.

"Oooh, nice shoulder launcher. What are you aiming at?"

"That full moon. I'm trying to sneak over to my gf's house under cover of darkness."

By the way, if you ever meet her, remember, this is all classified material from my sister's ears. She hates "silly Sci-Fi" and with this, she'd wield too much "I'll never shut up about this to you" enormous energy of her own! Or even worse... "This exceeds your thinking that mom's bright red satin sheets gave you super powers just because you tied it to the back of your neck and called it a cape."

She refers to the genre as the inner-boy teenage pissing contests. A my weapon's bigger than yours thing. "I'll destroy all the gravity in the universe," she once said as a joke!

At least she meant it as a joke. She'll whacka-me-mole if she thinks I cater to these notions. I call it the She-wa Option. She wa slap me silly if I asked her to read something like this. LOL

Sisters just don't understand.
I felt indestructible when I wore that cape.
Last edited by cthia on Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by cthia   » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:39 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

If you can tap into a fraction of this kind of power in the Honorverse, you can blow up the bridges in space. So much for the MWJ. Which I always thought that some faction would take them nasty Manties on by disabling or destroying their junctions -- whose power requirements certainly don't seem so far fetched now.

In the Dahakverse, if you hear someone say "I'm gonna kill every last one of them stinkin' rastards!" Well, you know they mean it. There are no ships sitting idle or threats sitting idle in the Dahakverse.

Talk about a hatred-hard-on for killing. Something akin to "I hate them Manticorans! Don't send the flagship. Send the slagship!"

Destructive powers so great they destroy Old Earth sayings. There's no more "If looks can kill."

Now, looks can kill, if you're peering out the lens of a periscope on a Lensman.

A Death Star can fry an egg a universe away. Talk about warming your food before you get home.

In Dahakverse "Screw you and your Edict too?"

or

"Screw you and the ship you hypered in on."

"Them there is fighting words."

No!...

"Them there is obliteration words."

How long does it take to charge capacitors and fire main batteries of a weapon of that nature?

"Their primary weapon will be ready to fire in 33 solar ticks sir."

Return to Honorverse