Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 44 guests

What, no planet kablooey?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: What, no planet kablooey?
Post by jpiwf   » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:50 pm

jpiwf
Midshipman

In 'Iron Sunrise' by Charles Stross a few asteroids with engines go on a multiple decade revenge expedition as kinetic missiles to a neighbouring starsystem after a planet is destroyed.

Peter F. Hamilton throws things he calls 'Hawking M-Sinks' (portable black hole) into a planet in 'Judas Unchained'. Lots of nastier weapons in that series though: quantumbusters, novabombs, DF-Spheres.
Post by noblehunter   » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:48 pm

noblehunter
Captain (Junior Grade)

Card has a molecular disassembler thing called the Doctor device (IRRC) in Ender's Game. Dismantles things like ships but also including planets.
Post by exiledtoIA   » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:13 pm

exiledtoIA
Lieutenant Commander

cthia wrote:I'll email a sentiment@dahakverse.come-on!

I'm sorry. I just can't wrap my head around that much senseless killing. After awhile -- alright already! What in the Universe of a conflict can fuel that sort of a grudge? Or is it something simple -- like coffee beans developing a universal blight. Hey, only thing I can figure is a lack of coffee that can fuel that source of animosity.

I just remembered another planet killing source. Remember The Fifth Element? If it hadn't been for the lovely Milla Jovovich (Fifth Element), Earth would have been reduced to so much space dust.

Curious. Even in the Honorverse, as readers, we've often surmised the possibility of planet destruction by tossing huge asteroids at them. An option some of us thought available to the Masadans.

I'm curious, has anyone come across an incident where that particular method was actually used to destroy a planet? It would have happened in Armageddon if not for our unlikely band of heroes, but that was a random asteroid.

If so, please broadcast the transponder on the book. I'd like a read.

"The Shiva Option" by David Weber and Steve White.
Used "Sledgehammer" and "Hammer" class asteroids to destroy a "bug" planet.
Post by cthia   » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:22 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

jpiwf wrote:In 'Iron Sunrise' by Charles Stross a few asteroids with engines go on a multiple decade revenge expedition as kinetic missiles to a neighbouring starsystem after a planet is destroyed.

Peter F. Hamilton throws things he calls 'Hawking M-Sinks' (portable black hole) into a planet in 'Judas Unchained'. Lots of nastier weapons in that series though: quantumbusters, novabombs, DF-Spheres.

This sounds like a very good read and it's fairly recent. I admit to being ignorant of the title and the author. This thread has me taking names and planning an order. Waldenbooks or Barnes & Noble will be made quite happy. I always order enough Sci-Fi to send to friends in Romania. They eat American Sci-Fi there.

I'd like to take the time to thank everyone for sharing some interestingly resounding er sounding leads er reads er leads er...

Thanks.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by niethil   » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:52 pm

niethil
Commander

We might want a more precise statement for what we are thinking about. Something like a gradation in destructive power.

If I am not mistaken, based on previous posts and own reading, it burns down to this.

Under wiping out or seriously thinning the dominant specie : Meteor strikes (Starship Troopers), Nuclear Winter (real world), Proto-molecule (Caliban's War)

Under sterilising the planet : Shadow Planet Killer (B5), Foreshadow (Lexx), Sledgehammer (Shiva Option), Planetary Bombs (Yamato), Sunbeam (Lensman)

Under reducing a planet to debris : MD (Ender's Game), Death Star (Star Wars), Vorlon Eclipse Planet Killer (B5), C frac rocks (Dahak)

And under making a planet entirely disappear : Nova Bomb (Andromeda), Dahak (Dahak), Vogon fleet (H2G2), spade and a lot of work (Ringworld, Dyson), Hypergate explosion (Lost Fleet), Negasphere (Lensman)

Above that level, there is nothing, except maybe Chuck Norris.
-------------
'Oh, oh' he said in English. Evidently, he had completely mastered that language.
Post by jpiwf   » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:01 pm

jpiwf
Midshipman

cthia wrote:
jpiwf wrote:In 'Iron Sunrise' by Charles Stross a few asteroids with engines go on a multiple decade revenge expedition as kinetic missiles to a neighbouring starsystem after a planet is destroyed.

This sounds like a very good read and it's fairly recent. I admit to being ignorant of the title and the author. This thread has me taking names and planning an order. Waldenbooks or Barnes & Noble will be made quite happy. I always order enough Sci-Fi to send to friends in Romania. They eat American Sci-Fi there.

I'd like to take the time to thank everyone for sharing some interestingly resounding er sounding leads er reads er leads er...

Thanks.

I might have misnamed the 2nd book, it's in his commonwealth series, but i believe the m-sink appears in one of the void trilogy books. Same universe, 2000 years later. Bigger book, although with Hamilton a book is always big. Some of the thickest books in my colection are his. All are good reads, start with 'Pandora's Star' and proceed from there.
The 1st book is a sequel to 'Singularity Sky', but reads well as a stand alone.
Post by phillies   » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:14 pm

phillies
Admiral

If you do not mind war games: In several of the Taurus games intergalactic warfare games, the battlecruisers could take out an enemy solar system, it would appear, by *ramming*.

After all, they were heavily armoured throughout.

And

four light years long.
Post by cthia   » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:23 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

niethil wrote:We might want a more precise statement for what we are thinking about. Something like a gradation in destructive power.

If I am not mistaken, based on previous posts and own reading, it burns down to this.

Under wiping out or seriously thinning the dominant specie : Meteor strikes (Starship Troopers), Nuclear Winter (real world), Proto-molecule (Caliban's War)

Under sterilising the planet : Shadow Planet Killer (B5), Foreshadow (Lexx), Sledgehammer (Shiva Option), Planetary Bombs (Yamato), Sunbeam (Lensman)

Under reducing a planet to debris : MD (Ender's Game), Death Star (Star Wars), Vorlon Eclipse Planet Killer (B5), C frac rocks (Dahak)

And under making a planet entirely disappear : Nova Bomb (Andromeda), Dahak (Dahak), Vogon fleet (H2G2), spade and a lot of work (Ringworld, Dyson), Hypergate explosion (Lost Fleet), Negasphere (Lensman)

Above that level, there is nothing, except maybe Chuck Norris.

Nice categorization niethil. I agree it needed to be done. TBH, I didn't realize the depth of planetary destruction -- didn't take into account simple specie sterilization, nor did I reckon on entire galaxies and gasp universes being wiped out on a whim (still anxious to read those).

I loved Lexx, but by the time I stumbled onto that Sci-Fi show, it had already been cancelled and I was doomed to reruns. I was always gob smacked by how matter-of-factly Lexx destroyed...

"Lexx, destroy that planet."

Ka-blθθey, "Planet destroyed."

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Loren Pechtel   » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:41 pm

Loren Pechtel
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:Can someone tell me the location of the action relative to Earth in the Dahak and Lensman series?

Could they just be a wormhole away from the Honorverse? :D

Lensman--spans the galaxy and beyond.

Dahak--Earth, deep space, a star system I forget.
Post by Loren Pechtel   » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:43 pm

Loren Pechtel
Rear Admiral

noblehunter wrote:Card has a molecular disassembler thing called the Doctor device (IRRC) in Ender's Game. Dismantles things like ships but also including planets.

Yeah, the bugger homeworld was destroyed by it.

Return to Honorverse