Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Continuity Error?

"Hell's Gate" and "Hell Hath No Fury", by David, Linda Evans, and Joelle Presby, take the clash of science and magic to a whole new dimension...join us in a friendly discussion of this engrossing series!
Continuity Error?
Post by saintonge   » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:20 am

saintonge
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Others may have pointed this out, but in The Road to Hell, chan Rahool has to look for the CSE manual to check into what it means when chimpanzees are having a lot of babies suddenly.

But it's been established that he's a Voice, which means that he should have total recall of anything he ever read in it, I'd think.

:?:
Re: Continuity Error?
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:24 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

saintonge wrote:Others may have pointed this out, but in The Road to Hell, chan Rahool has to look for the CSE manual to check into what it means when chimpanzees are having a lot of babies suddenly.

But it's been established that he's a Voice, which means that he should have total recall of anything he ever read in it, I'd think.

:?:

He might not had read that part of the manual.
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by Terranovan   » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:21 am

Terranovan
Ensign

Two more continuity errors I can think of:
1. Hell's Gate has 10,000 Thankhar Olderhan (Jasak's father) as, among other things, the RETIRED commander of the Second Andaran Scouts. Road to Hell has him on active duty - specifically, a message addressed to "2AS-Actual" (namely, the commander of the Second Andaran Scouts) c/o Mrs. Arylis Ulthar is meant for him.
2. In Hell's Gate, Shaylar is absent from Chief Sword Threbuch informing Gadrial of Halathyn vos Dulainah's death, and she needs her Talent to tell her that something's happened. She tells the court interrogating her in Road to Hell that Threbuch won her respect with the way he told her - in terms that imply, to me, that she saw and heard the news being broken.
Editing to add:
3. Hell's Gate has Jasak briefing mul Gurthak on Sharona having a high degree of cultural unity but multiple nations and no political unity. Road to Hell has Jathmar fooling him into thinking that Sharona's had one government for quite some time. Technically, he's telling Jasak the truth, since Zindel was crowned several days earlier, but the "quite some time" part is a deception.
Last edited by Terranovan on Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I doubt that RFC will reply to this with anything more than a grin and "Tum, te, tum, te, tum..."
Post by PeterZ   » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:54 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Jasak's father is the hereditary CO of the Second Andaran Scouts. That means he is the CO whether actively leading the Scouts or simply making policy affecting the Scouts but not in day-to-day command of the unit. He might have retired from active duty to take command of the Scouts when his father died and making him Duke. I suspect the Dukes of Garth Showma are the hereditary commanders of the unit but are not active members of the unit. Most probably have been active members of the unit and have retired from active service to take up their Ducal/political responsibilities.

I don't see any issue.
Terranovan wrote:Two more continuity errors I can think of:
1. Hell's Gate has 10,000 Thankhar Olderhan (Jasak's father) as, among other things, the RETIRED commander of the Second Andaran Scouts. Road to Hell has him on active duty - specifically, a message addressed to "2AS-Actual" (namely, the commander of the Second Andaran Scouts) c/o Mrs. Arylis Ulthar is meant for him.
2. In Hell's Gate, Shaylar is absent from Chief Sword Threbuch informing Gadrial of Halathyn vos Dulainah's death, and she needs her Talent to tell her that something's happened. She tells the court interrogating her in Road to Hell that Threbuch won her respect with the way he told her - in terms that imply, to me, that she saw and heard the news being broken.
Post by Owlish48   » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:04 am

Owlish48
Midshipman

Terranovan wrote:1. Hell's Gate has 10,000 Thankhar Olderhan (Jasak's father) as, among other things, the RETIRED commander of the Second Andaran Scouts. Road to Hell has him on active duty - specifically, a message addressed to "2AS-Actual" (namely, the commander of the Second Andaran Scouts) c/o Mrs. Arylis Ulthar is meant for him.

I think of the English royals and the military here: Prince William, Duke of Cambridge, holds the appointment of Colonel of the Irish Guards but is not (and never has been) an active duty officer in that regiment. Texev shows that T. Olderhan was a serving officer in the 2nd Andaran Scouts (and may well have been the unit's active CO as well as appointed by position), but holds the appointment as commander by his position as Duke. Textev also shows he takes that appointed position quite seriously.

Return to Multiverse