Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 19 guests

What is in a name? as used by PICA's

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: What is in a name? as used by PICA's
Post by Iorwerth   » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:44 am

Iorwerth
Ensign

C. O. Thompson wrote:
Again... thank you this is fantastic!
Does any part of the name Merlin used when he went to visit the Army of Justice have any hidden meaning?

C.O. Thompson,

What name did he use? I am listenning to an Audible audio book you'd need to show me the spelling?

Iorwerth
--------------------
yma o hyd

Cymru am byth
Post by PeterZ   » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:05 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Iorwerth wrote:
C. O. Thompson wrote:
Does any part of the name Merlin used when he went to visit the Army of Justice have any hidden meaning?

C.O. Thompson,

What name did he use? I am listenning to an Audible audio book you'd need to show me the spelling?

Iorwerth

I don't believe Master Slayter used a name uncommon to the area. Else his cover would be suspect and his messages doubted.
Post by Expert snuggler   » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:35 pm

Expert snuggler
Captain of the List

It's easy to solve the problem of messages being doubted with basic pre-planning.

Standing orders to field commanders who aren't cleared for SNARC access could be "Tell your sentries to admit anyone who says 'Mellon', and act on his/her intelligence if you hear the password 'Martin Luther'."
Post by Louis R   » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:25 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

Japheth Slayter

Iorwerth wrote:
C. O. Thompson wrote:

C.O. Thompson,

Iorwerth
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:11 pm

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

Louis R...Japheth Slayter

Iorwerth...="C. O. Thompson"]

Does any part of the name Merlin used when he went to visit the Army of Justice have any hidden meaning?[/quote]

C.O. Thompson,

Iorwerth[/quote][/quote]

Thanks Louis R.
As I recall the name he used was specific to his contact with the Army of Justice but, he might have wanted to throw a red herring at the inquisitors

I reread LAMA just prior the release of HFQ (which I finished last night) but the spelling of the names in general give me a bit of a problem. When we combine this with the possibility that the name might be Welsh and therefore a Weber code... well I get all turned around.

I do not think that names were used in the last persona we see in HFQ but I plan to reread it starting this week end.
Just got Earth Awakens by O Scott Card and Aaron Johnston as a diversion.
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Post by Iorwerth   » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:48 am

Iorwerth
Ensign

Louis R wrote:Japheth Slayter

I think that Japheth is Hebrew, a son of Noah from Genesis and Slayter a simple derivation of Slater. Historically there was no 'J' in the Welsh alphabet, it has recently been adopted into the Welsh alphabet but only to allow the adaptation of some English words into Welsh.
--------------------
yma o hyd

Cymru am byth
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:23 am

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

Iorwerth wrote:
Louis R wrote:Japheth Slayter

I think that Japheth is Hebrew, a son of Noah from Genesis and Slayter a simple derivation of Slater. Historically there was no 'J' in the Welsh alphabet, it has recently been adopted into the Welsh alphabet but only to allow the adaptation of some English words into Welsh.

Thank you Iorwerth

Have you received your copy of HFQ yet?
I found it a real "can't put it down", "page turner" If I had it on audio book, I would have run it non-stop ;)
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:08 pm

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

Iorwerth wrote:Hello (Shwmae)

Athrawes is the feminine form of teacher, appropriate given although Merlin appears male, Nimue is a woman.
Dialydd Mab can translate as avenging son
Yr Alban is Welsh for Scotland.
Chwaer is sister in Welsh, iau is junior or younger; perhaps little sister
Ganieda is a sorceress / witch and Merlin's half sister; Cysgodol is shadow.
Dagr is dagger and Cudd is hidden

Merlin Athrawes = Merlin the teacher
Dialydd Mab = Avenging son
Nimue Alban = Nimue the Scot
Nimue Chwaeriau = Nimue's little sister
Ganieda Cysgodol = Shadow Witch or Shadow Sister
Dagyr Cudd = Hidden Dagger

Diolch yn fawr iawn

Iorwerth

Iorwerth,

There is one other name but, I am thinking that this name was chosen for him and has no alternate meaning from Welsh...
Zhozuah Murphai ((Which I translate as Joshua Murphy)) and it is used in the introduction to the Helm Cleavers in Zion
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Post by evilauthor   » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:01 pm

evilauthor
Captain of the List

C. O. Thompson wrote:Iorwerth,

There is one other name but, I am thinking that this name was chosen for him and has no alternate meaning from Welsh...
Zhozuah Murphai ((Which I translate as Joshua Murphy)) and it is used in the introduction to the Helm Cleavers in Zion

There's also an Abraim Zhevons, which I think is derived from Abram Devons, also a non-Welsh name. And Slatyr, derived from Slater.

What do all three have in common? They were initially used as infiltration identities. They're not supposed to draw attention due to their outlandishness because the identities using them aren't supposed to stand out as unusual. They're common Safeholdian names no one is supposed to look twice at.
Post by jchilds   » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:39 pm

jchilds
Captain of the List

So does that make him the Demon Murphai then?

Return to Safehold