Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

IMPORTANT NOTE Heard this from RFC's mouth TODAY

Discussion concerning the TV, film, and comic adaptations.
Re: IMPORTANT NOTE Heard this from RFC's mouth TODAY
Post by d-eye   » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:53 pm

d-eye
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Well the tales of honor web site and forum have been removed. The game is still in the play store but i suspect not for much longer.
Post by tytso   » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:26 pm

tytso
Midshipman

d-eye wrote:Well the tales of honor web site and forum have been removed. The game is still in the play store but i suspect not for much longer.

The game requires back-end servers to run (even in single user mode), and I assume that was using sound cloud service (AWS, Google Compute Engine, Rackspace, etc.) --- and that costs money. So it's likely the game will stop functioning completely very shortly, regardless of whether someone bothers to remove it from the play store.
Post by JustCurious   » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:24 am

JustCurious
Commander

If it is to be done as a television mini-series then perhaps what book you start it with should be reconsidered.
If it was to be a movie then starting with The Honor of the Queen was the right choice. It would work better a s movie than On Basilisk Station. But On Basilisk Station would work much better on Television than in the cinema. Television handles what is going on inside people's heads than cinema and I think it would handle the story of the crew getting used to Honor's command style quite well.
Post by Weird Harold   » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:12 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

JustCurious wrote:If it was to be a movie then starting with The Honor of the Queen was the right choice. It would work better a s movie than On Basilisk Station. But On Basilisk Station would work much better on Television than in the cinema. ...

For any live action version of the Honorverse, TV or Movie, it would be best to ignore the Medusan revolt story arc, because the Medusans would have to be 100% CGI and the CGI budget is going to be astronomical just rendering Nimitz (and other treecats) not to mention the spaceships and battles.

Honor of the Queen is the best starting point from the standpoint of cost because bringing the Medusans to life accurately will probably cost as much as the rest of the series combined. :shock:

(not to mention portraying the Medusan's communications style understandably. :roll: )
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by munroburton   » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:28 pm

munroburton
Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
JustCurious wrote:If it was to be a movie then starting with The Honor of the Queen was the right choice. It would work better a s movie than On Basilisk Station. But On Basilisk Station would work much better on Television than in the cinema. ...

For any live action version of the Honorverse, TV or Movie, it would be best to ignore the Medusan revolt story arc, because the Medusans would have to be 100% CGI and the CGI budget is going to be astronomical just rendering Nimitz (and other treecats) not to mention the spaceships and battles.

Honor of the Queen is the best starting point from the standpoint of cost because bringing the Medusans to life accurately will probably cost as much as the rest of the series combined. :shock:

(not to mention portraying the Medusan's communications style understandably. :roll: )

Go earlier than OBS. I'm not saying go right to the start with Ms. Midshipwoman Harrington, but surely the coterie of short stories between those two provide sufficient meat for one season.

Start around the time she's ATO on HMS Manticore(power room fire?), CO of a LAC, XO of some CA during that Gryphon avalanche, CO of HMS Hawkwing, the Crusher course and then end the season with the letter assigning Honor to command CL Fearless.

From a production perspective, that would let you play around with the sets, actors/characters, etc. and smooth out the rough edges before tackling the Genesis of Honorverse canon.

OBS can be season two - although it's a relatively short book, there's still plenty of events. Fearless' refit, the fleet exercises, being sent to Basilisk, all the work they did there up to discovering the Havenite plot and then foiling it in a two-part season climax.
Post by Weird Harold   » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:37 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

munroburton wrote:... OBS can be season two ...

I think you missed my point that a large part of OBS revolves around the Stiltie uprising -- the major part of the Havenite plot and the whole driving element of the second half of the book. OBS can't really be done without the Medusans and they would have to be pure CGI and make that season/episode totally uneconomical.

Post by George J. Smith   » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:59 pm

George J. Smith
Commodore

snip
Go earlier than OBS. I'm not saying go right to the start with Ms. Midshipwoman Harrington, but surely the coterie of short stories between those two provide sufficient meat for one season.

I think the short story Let's Dance would be a good starting point.
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by munroburton   » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:53 am

munroburton
Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
munroburton wrote:... OBS can be season two ...

I think you missed my point that a large part of OBS revolves around the Stiltie uprising -- the major part of the Havenite plot and the whole driving element of the second half of the book. OBS can't really be done without the Medusans and they would have to be pure CGI and make that season/episode totally uneconomical.

So toss the Medusans and replace them with something more production-friendly? It's not as if their trilateral biology was essential to the story. A bunch of bipedal natives who inhales the same drugs supplied by Haven, then grabs the weapons also supplied by Haven and surges out to wipe all offworlders out.

Since we never ever see Medusans again in the entire series, that wouldn't be a problem with me.
Post by Weird Harold   » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:08 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

munroburton wrote:Since we never ever see Medusans again in the entire series, that wouldn't be a problem with me.

We may not see them, but their mode of gesture-based communication is rather critical to later events.

I'm not inherently opposed to minor changes in physiology as long as they don't distort the story beyond recognition.

The whole story from OBS can be revealed in flashbacks and oblique references without dedicating a whole season and major revision of alien physiology to the budget. There really isn't anything there, character development-wise, that isn't demonstrated later as well.

Post by Dauntless   » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:12 pm

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

I think your biggest problem with removing/modifying the medusians is the knock effect on teaching the 'cats sign language. though i don't think that would be that much of a issue. especially as it does not come up until for quite some time further down the road.

Return to Multimedia