Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 37 guests

Stories you wish were told?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Stories you wish were told?
Post by TheGlyphstone   » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:40 am

TheGlyphstone
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

One of the things that makes good writing is the way an author like DW slides in little details of setting development and world-building. The plot follows one small portion of a very big and very old galaxy, after all. What corners of the Honorverse do you wish would get a spotlight shined on them, as impractical as the hope might be?

Me, I'd love to see a story on Medusa post-OBS, especially one from the POV of a Medusan native - their physiology is rather bonkers, but cognitively they seem to be much closer to humans than treecats are, and we get all sorts of treecat-POV stories. Aside from OBS, the only time they've really been mentioned was in connection to Dr. Sharif's background.

I'm also curious about the planet Sharpton, where the cyborg is revered as a cultural icon - mentioned once in AoV and never again. I can't help but picture it as Cyberpunk World the way, say, Montana is Cowboy World.
Re: Stories you wish were told?
Post by bunyipbelle   » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:00 am

bunyipbelle
Lieutenant Commander

I would love to see a story about what happens when Eliose Pritchard, Thomas Theisman and the other Havenite characters who have been assigned treecat bodyguards return to haven with their assigned treecat bodyguards.I think that people in Haven who know a little about tree cats would be creating all sorts of conspiracy theories.
I would also like to see what happens when Sonia Hemphill goes to Bolthole and meets Shannon Foraker. It was mentioned in a Rising Thunder that they were thinking of sending Sonia there.I think that they would get on like a house on fire.I think that the sparks would fly. :)
TheGlyphstone wrote:One of the things that makes good writing is the way an author like DW slides in little details of setting development and world-building. The plot follows one small portion of a very big and very old galaxy, after all. What corners of the Honorverse do you wish would get a spotlight shined on them, as impractical as the hope might be?

Me, I'd love to see a story on Medusa post-OBS, especially one from the POV of a Medusan native - their physiology is rather bonkers, but cognitively they seem to be much closer to humans than treecats are, and we get all sorts of treecat-POV stories. Aside from OBS, the only time they've really been mentioned was in connection to Dr. Sharif's background.

I'm also curious about the planet Sharpton, where the cyborg is revered as a cultural icon - mentioned once in AoV and never again. I can't help but picture it as Cyberpunk World the way, say, Montana is Cowboy World.
Post by cthia   » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:14 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Well... I'm a bit of a romantic and I'd like a few chapters dealing with Helga Boltitz and Gwen Archer please.

For bigger stories, I'd like the first landing of Manticore. And discovery of the Manticore Wormhole Junction -- the lives and ships lost trying to navigate it initially. Exploring its reaches. Settling Manticore - Sphinx - coming to terms with wildlife and marine biology. Especially marine biology on Sphinx.

"Don't go into the water."

Was Manticore discovered first or the MWJ?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Hutch   » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:24 am

Hutch
Vice Admiral

cthia wrote: Was Manticore discovered first or the MWJ?

The wormhole junction wasn't discovered untilsometime around 1580 PD (the first transit (to Beowulf) was in 1585PD). The initial settlement of Manticore was in 1416PD (that's when the slow-boat colonists arrived; there was a small colony already there to help them, having arrived by FTL).

All the above is from HoS.

As for stories to be told, we've had bits and pieces about Mike and Honor while at the Academy; I imagine there are a few more stories in there.
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by Roguevictory   » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:11 am

Roguevictory
Captain of the List

Many

The Free Brotherhood Incident aka Manticore's first naval conflict.

Honor facing the Crusher or better yet a whole Worlds of Honor showing various characters facing the Crusher.

Stories showing Roger III's and Sonia Hemphill's periods as Starship captains and Caparelli's Silesian incident.

Some stories set in the Saganami era wold be interesting as well.
Post by roseandheather   » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:04 am

roseandheather
Admiral

bunyipbelle wrote:I would love to see a story about what happens when Eliose Pritchard, Thomas Theisman and the other Havenite characters who have been assigned treecat bodyguards return to haven with their assigned treecat bodyguards.I think that people in Haven who know a little about tree cats would be creating all sorts of conspiracy theories.
I would also like to see what happens when Sonia Hemphill goes to Bolthole and meets Shannon Foraker. It was mentioned in a Rising Thunder that they were thinking of sending Sonia there.I think that they would get on like a house on fire.I think that the sparks would fly. :)

I think you all can take it as read by now that whatever bunyipbelle wants I also want. Mind-reader, that one. :mrgreen:
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by cthia   » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:25 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I'd like more on the Diaspora leading up to the first colony ship Promethius - the selection process, the fighting and maneuvering, the deceit, the cutthroats... to gain passage. And a closer look at the atrocities on Old Earth.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:16 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I'd like more of the story about the first humans settling on Barstool and wiping out the sentient species the Amphors in about thirty standard years. Were the Amphors violent?

Too bad there doesn't exist a Prime Directive equivalent in the Honorverse. Since the Medusans haven't been wiped out, I suppose things have changed.

Post by exiledtoIA   » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:20 pm

exiledtoIA
Lieutenant Commander

I'd like to see more about the good ship Francis. Admit it, while
it's normal to read about the people who get to ride along with Honor, It was fun to see how the one's who don't always get it right live. I still think that they have a Havenite counterpart and I want to see them meet up. Probably somewhere in the Talbot quadrant where they get to mix it up with Sollies.
Janacek's (sp?) snotty cruise.
Maybe how some the people in the Protectors Own ended up on Hades so they were available to become the PO's.
Post by TheGlyphstone   » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:36 pm

TheGlyphstone
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Speaking of romances...

Horace Harkness and Iris Babcock. Even Honor recognized what a bizarre pairing that was on the surface - an interesting courtship indeed, and one that would make a great short story.

Return to Honorverse