Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

Gwynna and Kenhodan (Sword of the South Spoilers)

Fans of Bahzell and Tomenack come on in! Let's talk about David's fantasy series and our favorite hradani!
Re: Gwynna and Kenhodan (Sword of the South Spoilers)
Post by hanuman   » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:05 am

hanuman
Captain of the List

Dauntless wrote:agreed. young and immature (physically) she may be. Child? that is something she has not been since her mage crisis

Look, with reference to that quote by dwileye, I am not saying that Gwynna was not profoundly affected by her melding with Wencit or her new knowledge, or that her particular parentage hasn't been a huge influence in preparing her for what everyone knew her future would hold.

But that quote makes it quite clear that whatever knowledge transfer might have happened during her melding with Wencit, and despite knowing exactly what she has to do in future, she is still overwhelmed and confused by it all. Knowledge is one thing, wisdom is something else entirely. Wisdom can only come from understanding and lived experience. In everything that matters, Gwynna really is still a child, albeit one with extraordinary gifts and a mental maturity far beyond her years. She - Gwynna, the person - hasn't LIVED the eight or so years differential between her current age and the physical age that she'll be in seven or eight months' time. That is important in terms of emotional growth and nothing can replace that.
Post by dan92677   » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:42 am

dan92677
Commander

That is true, but having an adult enough body to handle the power that she will have access to may prevent some accidents from happening while she accrues that life experience. It's hard to believe that she won't attempt to use what she has access to now, is it, knowing her precocity(sp)?

I just hope rfc will share some of them with us, as well as some of her monitored 'lessons', too, ala the trip to see the dragon.

I also have a suspicion that Wencit will definitely detect some level of knowledge of what she has absorbed from him when they are again face to face.

Dan
Post by Weird Harold   » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:37 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

dan92677 wrote:That is true, but having an adult enough body to handle the power that she will have access to may prevent some accidents from happening while she accrues that life experience.

Guys, Eighteen is the end of puberty and the wild hormonal and mood swings that go with it. Getting past that hazard in someone as powerful as Gwynna is/will be is a not insignificant goal.

(I wish my daughters and granddaughters all had possessed the ability to skip over that part of growing up. :D)
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by hanuman   » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:22 am

hanuman
Captain of the List

Weird Harold wrote:
dan92677 wrote:That is true, but having an adult enough body to handle the power that she will have access to may prevent some accidents from happening while she accrues that life experience.

Guys, Eighteen is the end of puberty and the wild hormonal and mood swings that go with it. Getting past that hazard in someone as powerful as Gwynna is/will be is a not insignificant goal.

(I wish my daughters and granddaughters all had possessed the ability to skip over that part of growing up. :D)

Okay, so it would appear we missed the obvious. And now that you drew attention to it, that discussion between Gwynna and her mishuki teacher hinted quite broadly at the hormone thing.
Post by Dauntless   » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:35 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

hanuman wrote:
Dauntless wrote:agreed. young and immature (physically) she may be. Child? that is something she has not been since her mage crisis

Look, with reference to that quote by dwileye, I am not saying that Gwynna was not profoundly affected by her melding with Wencit or her new knowledge, or that her particular parentage hasn't been a huge influence in preparing her for what everyone knew her future would hold.

But that quote makes it quite clear that whatever knowledge transfer might have happened during her melding with Wencit, and despite knowing exactly what she has to do in future, she is still overwhelmed and confused by it all. Knowledge is one thing, wisdom is something else entirely. Wisdom can only come from understanding and lived experience. In everything that matters, Gwynna really is still a child, albeit one with extraordinary gifts and a mental maturity far beyond her years. She - Gwynna, the person - hasn't LIVED the eight or so years differential between her current age and the physical age that she'll be in seven or eight months' time. That is important in terms of emotional growth and nothing can replace that.

the mage crisis alone, before we factor what little of wencit's knowledge she has grasped, took her childhood.

wisidom? well that is tricky. there are many people 3 times her age i have known and far too few of them for my liking had anything approaching wisdom.
Post by dan92677   » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:28 pm

dan92677
Commander

Gwynna already has more power than she knows how to handle right now, hence her wanting to get by puberty as soon as possible.
Whatever she got from Wencit, she already knows what she will be expected to do and she knows that she isn't yet ready. But, and a big one, SHE MEANS TO BE READY WHEN THE CREW RETURNS!!!

I sure hope that rfc having a 5 book contract (and schedule) means that we will be getting War God installments on a more frequent basis than before.....

Dan
Post by feyhunde   » Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:42 pm

feyhunde
Lieutenant Commander

hanuman wrote:
Dauntless wrote:She - Gwynna, the person - hasn't LIVED the eight or so years differential between her current age and the physical age that she'll be in seven or eight months' time. That is important in terms of emotional growth and nothing can replace that.

Indeed. The problem is the trope of aging up is often used in ways that are squicky. A way to make it technically ok to have a romance with an underage character. It may not be intended to be such by MWW, but it has those implications.

So long as there's no attempt to have our returned prince and Gwynna be romantic without 5 years of in story time, I'll feel ok.
Post by Tanguera   » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:46 am

Tanguera
Midshipman

I just reread Sword Brother - totally had missed that Sergeant Houghton's dead love was Gwynn. We already know there is a parallel with Kenhoden and the Sergeant.
Post by SYED   » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:21 pm

SYED
Rear Admiral

Any chance that the new guy is also a potential Mage. We know mages can pool power and ability, if he is a Mage, they can make a link to share power.

When he played the harp he released wild magic, so possibly a wild wizard. Imagine a wild wizard bound to a wild Mage.

The possibility of mages working with wizards, make me wonder if mages can work with those dwarf magic users. It is a very stable ability, imagine if augemented by Mage talents.

Return to War God