Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests

Ranting about Microsoft and Tech Support in India

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Re: Ranting about Microsoft and Tech Support in India
Post by Relax   » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:32 pm

Relax
Fleet Admiral

Tenshinai wrote:The only thing you keep proving with your posts is that you don´t know anything.

The johnnyguru site was mentioned, why don´t you go there and check what rates PSUs on, might give you a few amazing insights and some valuable knowledge.

So, have your daddy, or brother post, because you might want to open an engineering book or two. I said durability, there are multiple things that go into that. Efficiency is not one of them. Do pay attention to the words used instead of the words you wish were used.

Uh, power supplies have been around since the 20's, 30's, not 1981... Actually earlier than that, but not commercially. Just because someone put a box around a power supply does not make it amazing.
_________
Tally Ho!
Relax
Post by Ensign Re-read   » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:23 am

Ensign Re-read
Commodore

Relax & Tenshinai:

Would you two please "play nice"?!?!?!

I respect both of your opinions on several topics.
To paraphrase Rodney King:
Can't you all just get along?

=====
The Celestia "addon" for the Planet Safehold as well as the Kau-zhi and Manticore A-B star systems, are at URL:
http://www.lepp.cornell.edu/~seb/celestia/weber/.
=====
http://www.flickr.com/photos/68506297@N ... 740128635/
=====
Post by Relax   » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:38 am

Relax
Fleet Admiral

Sure, when he starts replying to what is actually posted instead of making up whatever he wants. Should put him on my ignore list. He used to be there, for some reason I took him off...
_________
Tally Ho!
Relax
Post by Daryl   » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:59 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

I do think that some here are missing the benefits of planned obsolescence. I once had a 286 PC that ran Word Perfect and Lotus quite well, but I do enjoy playing with my i5 quad core with 16GB of RAM and 10TB of storage.

I have an excellent digital camera that still works perfectly despite being 5-6 years old, but if it did die I could justify buying the new model with 30X zoom and 20MP.
Post by Spacekiwi   » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:00 am

Spacekiwi
Admiral

Same here. I only just upgraded from a 2.2 inch screen 'snart phone'(just barely usable enough to qualify) from 2010, which cost 80 or so US, and only because it was too much of a pain to continue trying to use it due to the bugs around texting. got myself a new 50 US phone, 4.4 inch and running android 4.2, and plan to use it until it dies. before these i had the classic nokia monochrome screen with snake, and got rid of it because the battery didnt hold a charge. I upgraded my laptop when it proved unable to play portal (it was running a celeron with integrated graphics) to a i5, before swapping that one for some profit to get me a i7 and 740m, but hope to keep using it until it dies. All our tech we keep going for at least 5 to 10 years, and our cars for 15 to 20. Mum and Dads phones are the only ewception, as their jobs gave them new phones as part of their packages, otherwise mum would still be running an iphone 3g/4 (forgoot which one it was). Obsolescence can work for you if you do it right. :D

Daryl wrote:I do think that some here are missing the benefits of planned obsolescence. I once had a 286 PC that ran Word Perfect and Lotus quite well, but I do enjoy playing with my i5 quad core with 16GB of RAM and 10TB of storage.

I have an excellent digital camera that still works perfectly despite being 5-6 years old, but if it did die I could justify buying the new model with 30X zoom and 20MP.
`

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
its not paranoia if its justified... :D
Post by Spacekiwi   » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:56 pm

Spacekiwi
Admiral

Hey wastedfly, heres another companies review on how thye measure PSU's for review.... :)

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/how-we-test-psu,4042.html#p1

wastedfly wrote:
Spacekiwi wrote:Well, using the standard of 80% efficiency at 20, 50 and 100% of load, like the 80+ standard requires, and for my particular psu, rated over all the rails, the 3, 5 and 12. It draws at max, 120w over the 3 and 5, and 550 over the 12, and 15 w on the -3 and -5 rails, giving it giving it an actual max wattage of 585, which for me was close enough to the stated ratinmg of 600, along with its cost, to make it my choice for a psu. My PSU even has a nice chart with the voltage and currents on top, to show you how current times voltage equals power(watts.)And what about Johnnyguru for psu reviews as well?

Just looked at Johnnyguru.com
Did not know they existed.
Looks fairly good...

I have no idea how he is measuring AC WATTS. Is he using RMS? If he is doing the typical Halo sensor to voltmeter simplistic approach, he is not measuring actual power. If not, then his efficiency means nothing. DC WATTS definition does not change, as there is no frequency involved, but AC WATTAGE has no true standard. Most use RMS AC WATTAGE as the standard along with PF(lag/lead). I noticed he used PF, but is he measuring the power at the PF, or ignoring the correction factor and therefore the wattage? Residential, nearly all of us, do not have PF as part of our power bill.

I also note that the "80 plus standard" does not define itself either, so once again, it means ~~~ close enough, but does not really exist as a standard at all. In short, could easily be off by 10-25% due to inadequacies of the standard itself and still achieve "gold" status.

Anyone have the IEEE standard for PSU efficiency? This will be the true definition, not this hocus pocus, government oversight baloney.
`

its not paranoia if its justified... :D
Post by MAD-4A   » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:32 pm

MAD-4A
Captain of the List

I know what you mean…hate W7/8. Was just researching some history of computers & found out something I had previously missed. MS made its business on MS-DOS. MS-DOS was a complete rip-off of PC-DOS. MS basically stole someone else’s software to start their own. Now they are so rigid & hateful about even any perceived “theft” of their software. Can anyone here say HYPOCRITE? (I take some delight in editing this in Word >:P s.u. MS). (lol - off my chest)
-
Almost only counts in Horseshoes and Nuclear Weapons. I almost got the Hand-Grenade out the window does not count.
Post by The E   » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:14 am

The E
Admiral

MAD-4A wrote:I know what you mean…hate W7/8. Was just researching some history of computers & found out something I had previously missed. MS made its business on MS-DOS. MS-DOS was a complete rip-off of PC-DOS. MS basically stole someone else’s software to start their own. Now they are so rigid & hateful about even any perceived “theft” of their software. Can anyone here say HYPOCRITE? (I take some delight in editing this in Word >:P s.u. MS). (lol - off my chest)

Except you also missed that PC-DOS was a development from an earlier OS called 86-DOS, which Microsoft licensed and bought. IBM specifically contracted Microsoft to develop PC-DOS, so if anything, MS was stealing from itself.
Post by Tenshinai   » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:41 am

Tenshinai
Admiral

MAD-4A wrote:I know what you mean…hate W7/8. Was just researching some history of computers & found out something I had previously missed. MS made its business on MS-DOS. MS-DOS was a complete rip-off of PC-DOS. MS basically stole someone else’s software to start their own. Now they are so rigid & hateful about even any perceived “theft” of their software. Can anyone here say HYPOCRITE? (I take some delight in editing this in Word >:P s.u. MS). (lol - off my chest)

And Windows is pretty much a ripoff from the Commodore Amiga OS.
Post by Ensign Re-read   » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:32 pm

Ensign Re-read
Commodore

Hey all...

I don't participate in many forums, in part because the idea of keeping track of yet ANOTHER UN & PW is irritating.

Having said that, I've recently updated more than one PC of ours to Windows 10, and I have some questions to pose to a forum where they specialize in said topic.

I am aware of (at least) these web sites:

* superuser.com
* infoworld.com
* tenforums.com
* howtogeek.com
* windowscentral.com
and of course there must be something similar at...
* microsoft.com

Do any of you have any opinions as to which site has been the most useful to one of you in the past?

==========

FWIW, here are two sample questions:

---

One issue I have is that in order to re-install one of my Windows 7 Upgrade, I have to find an install disk for XP Home Edition, as that's the original license for THAT one machine. PROBLEM: I only have on hand a disk labeled: "XP Pro OEM SP3". Where can I go to get an ISO image to burn a new "XP Home" edition disk? OR Will the Pro version work with a Home license? (I think not, but I'll likely test that within the next 36ish hours.)

---

One more topic...
I understand that users of Windows Media Center could have gotten a copy of the Microsoft DVD Player software _IF_ one realizes to do so BEFORE one upgrades to Windows 10.

But some of us (like me) are not that organized. I did not do so beforehand, and I refuse to revert back to an earlier OS, get that software, then reinstall 10 again.

So, If the "VLC Media Player" software isn't satisfactory, how do I get a copy of the "Microsoft DVD Player" software at this point?

---

Questions like the above two are, in my opinion, not the best fit for this web site.

Where do you guys go to get your various Windows questions answered?

(Please refrain the Mac comments, we're a multi-OS household. No, that was not a PC pun.)

=====
The Celestia "addon" for the Planet Safehold as well as the Kau-zhi and Manticore A-B star systems, are at URL:
http://www.lepp.cornell.edu/~seb/celestia/weber/.
=====
http://www.flickr.com/photos/68506297@N ... 740128635/
=====

Return to Free-Range Topics...