Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Imperative - the sequel to Extremis

Set in the Starfire strategy game universe, co-authored by David and Steve White, these novels feature the clash of the Terran Federation, the cat-like Orions, the genocidal Rigelians, and the "Bugs"...join us in the discussion!
Imperative - the sequel to Extremis
Post by Duckk   » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:04 pm

Duckk
Site Admin

Saw this pop up in my Amazon page.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/147678 ... _i=desktop

ORIGINAL TRADE PAPERACK. Steve White, co-author with David Weber of the New York Times best-seller The Shiva Option, joins with Compton Crook Award Winner Charles E. Gannon to carve another notch in the Starfire adventure saga.

The war with the Arduans—profoundly alien invaders who originally arrived in STL ships—is over. Most of those attackers are now probationary (and very productive) citizens of the Rim Federation.

However, many among the Arduans’ warrior caste have neither accepted defeat, nor the personhood of any of the other intelligence races. Their leader, the ruthless admiral of the second Arduan exodus— Amunsit—is in firm control of the Zarzuela system. Along with a fifth column among the peaceable Arduans, she hopes to find allies in subsequent refugee fleets that abandoned their race's now-dead home system long ago.

But as the victors’ diplomats attempt to soothe tensions with these warlike neighbors, two heroes of the last war—veteran Admiral Ian Trevayne and young trouble-shooter Ossian Wethermere--suspect they have stumbled upon a deeper Arduan plot: one which could shatter the Pan-Sentient Union, and perhaps interstellar civilization itself.
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Re: Imperative - the sequel to Extremis
Post by coldsteel   » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:22 am

coldsteel
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Sweet!
Post by Roguevictory   » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:18 pm

Roguevictory
Captain of the List

Cool though I still wish they would give us some books set in the earlier wars.
Post by CRC   » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:35 am

CRC
Lieutenant Commander

Good News!

Played Starfire in college, loved most of the books, especially the Bug and Theban wars.

Glad to see the series is not dead.

On The Other Hand - The tech is getting a little out of hand. You can only go bigger, better, stronger, faster for so long until it approaches ridiculousness and SDVT's are pretty much there already...
Post by munroburton   » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:05 am

munroburton
Admiral

CRC wrote:Good News!

Played Starfire in college, loved most of the books, especially the Bug and Theban wars.

On The Other Hand - The tech is getting a little out of hand. You can only go bigger, better, stronger, faster for so long until it approaches ridiculousness and SDVT's are pretty much there already...

No, really? I thought they had already gotten there with the Arduan system defense ships, not to mention their generation ships. The others still have some ways to go before they reach those sizes. :P

The book's on my to-get list.
Post by CRC   » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:12 pm

CRC
Lieutenant Commander

munroburton wrote:

No, really? I thought they had already gotten there with the Arduan system defense ships, not to mention their generation ships. The others still have some ways to go before they reach those sizes. :P

The book's on my to-get list.

The system defense ships are actually not that bad an idea. I used to use custom non-hyper very large warships as OBS's, for defense, in some of the earlier computer games. It does bring into question the 6 ship datalink issue given the computing power available by then. I mean if you can link multiple launchers across an SDS to get the right time on target, why can't more than 6 ships do the same with whisker lasers and computers.

My problem was the DN to SDN to M to SM to DVT to SDVT.

I was actually ok to the monitor point in the Bug wars, but Insurrection's SM and now the SDH thrown into the mix for some odd reason, just confuses the heck out of the situation.

For anything less than an SDN, forget it!

But, yes, the book is definitely on my can't wait list.

If its Baen, we should be able to get an ARC 6 months prior.
Post by munroburton   » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:44 pm

munroburton
Admiral

CRC wrote:The system defense ships are actually not that bad an idea. I used to use custom non-hyper very large warships as OBS's, for defense, in some of the earlier computer games. It does bring into question the 6 ship datalink issue given the computing power available by then. I mean if you can link multiple launchers across an SDS to get the right time on target, why can't more than 6 ships do the same with whisker lasers and computers.

My problem was the DN to SDN to M to SM to DVT to SDVT.

I was actually ok to the monitor point in the Bug wars, but Insurrection's SM and now the SDH thrown into the mix for some odd reason, just confuses the heck out of the situation.

For anything less than an SDN, forget it!

But, yes, the book is definitely on my can't wait list.

If its Baen, we should be able to get an ARC 6 months prior.

You have a point I agree with there. The Allies are well past the point where they should just reclassify their types and condense what they have in service. I don't recall any textev of why they need such a variety of classes simultaneously in service.
Post by Tenshinai   » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:45 pm

Tenshinai
Admiral

Shounen style, you can always go a little bit further. It will be over 9000... :mrgreen:
Post by coldsteel   » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:29 pm

coldsteel
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

CRC wrote:My problem was the DN to SDN to M to SM to DVT to SDVT.

Well, these hulls are already part of the actual game, the Leviathan and Juggernaut hulls.
Post by CRC   » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:30 pm

CRC
Lieutenant Commander

coldsteel wrote:
CRC wrote:My problem was the DN to SDN to M to SM to DVT to SDVT.

Well, these hulls are already part of the actual game, the Leviathan and Juggernaut hulls.

(Dating myself now...)Not when I played the game. Remember?

SSSSAAAAMCLGPM

Or something like that...anything larger than a CA was a real pain to track!

Return to Starfire