Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Spoiler - Wencit's Age & Gwynna

Fans of Bahzell and Tomenack come on in! Let's talk about David's fantasy series and our favorite hradani!
Spoiler - Wencit's Age & Gwynna
Post by dwileye13   » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:54 am

dwileye13
Captain of the List

Obviously Wencit is ancient, but how so? He has stated that he has worked or waited thousands of years for things. He said he hadn't had armor on in 1400 years, he was old enough and senior enough to be the Chief of the White Council at least 1500 years before, We can assume he was the arms instructor for Torren Swordarm or the Imperial Court.

Age control is a talent - rather than speeding the aging process like our young mage, could the same talent be how Wencit can get so old? slowing the aging process to a 1 to 100 rather than Gwynna's speeding to 12 to 1. Are we going to see her eyes blossom like multi-hued flowers and be the young wild wizard to take Wencit's role?

I think so. Another step off the virtual plank of assumption Is Wencit half Hydrahni? Is that where Wild wizards come from? That is a secret Wencit would hold close to his poncho.

Wencit's comments about human/hydrahni cross breeds taking over the world - They take the best of both parents - leads me to this thought.
I am not young enough to know everything!
Re: Spoiler - Wencit's Age & Gwynna
Post by dan92677   » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:47 am

dan92677
Commander

That certainly could explain several cryptic age related statements that have been dropped here and there, couldn't it?
Post by Cartref   » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:35 pm

Cartref
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

You could always ask, has anyone ever seen Wencit without his bennie?

I don't recall so, but if they have is there any comment about his ears?

Gwynna, still has Hydrahni type ears.
Post by dan92677   » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:15 pm

dan92677
Commander

In this past book, it is mentioned that they used his hat to water the horses, and nothing was mentioned about his ears.

My concerns are that we won't find out all of the "jucies" until the coda of book#5.....
Post by Dauntless   » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:28 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

there has been talk before about nested glamours (Sword brother, i think), so who is to say that he isn't running one when he is in company.

I mean half-human & hardani mix is unheard of since the fall, and it would be a big thing for the populace at large to large to discover that the man who made their escape possible was half blood drinking berserker.

that would not be well received i'm sure. I mean these were people who KNEW hardnai had been peaceful folk before the wizards and still they slaughtered any that they came across.
Post by dwileye13   » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:38 pm

dwileye13
Captain of the List

The possibility that Wencit is Half Hydrahni is Valid, genetically 50/50 he would get the ears or not. The point being that Wencit says they get the best of both as far as the connection to the Wild Magic and the ability to be a wizard. Since he is as large as your average Hydrahni and has the wizardry and wild magic and perhaps some of the mage talents as well.

Why are wild wizards so rare?

How old is Wencit?? . . . . I believe from textev he is over 3000.
Post by JeffEngel   » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:55 pm

JeffEngel
Admiral

dwileye13 wrote:Obviously Wencit is ancient, but how so? He has stated that he has worked or waited thousands of years for things. He said he hadn't had armor on in 1400 years, he was old enough and senior enough to be the Chief of the White Council at least 1500 years before, We can assume he was the arms instructor for Torren Swordarm or the Imperial Court.
Why assume that? He does have quite a lot to do, and while he's an excellent swordsman, certainly the House of Ottovar had access to plenty of other excellent swordsmen who weren't also responsible for monitoring all wizardry.
Age control is a talent - rather than speeding the aging process like our young mage, could the same talent be how Wencit can get so old? slowing the aging process to a 1 to 100 rather than Gwynna's speeding to 12 to 1. Are we going to see her eyes blossom like multi-hued flowers and be the young wild wizard to take Wencit's role?
That assumes a closer connection between wild wizardry and the mage talent than is in evidence. That they are even capable of beneficial interaction was something Wencit kept secret, and there's been plenty evidence elsewhere that wizardry in general differs from the mage talent considerably.

I do seem to recall something about wild wizards as such being long-lived, and certainly the wand wizards can extend their lifespans greatly. So there's no special reason to suppose there's a connection between wild wizardry and mage talent on the basis of longevity, or to suppose that the life extension works the same way.

For that matter, the emergence of wild wizardry and the mage crisis have been described differently. You turn out to be a wild wizard when you really, really need something; a mage crisis just happens and it's a lot like an illness.
I think so. Another step off the virtual plank of assumption Is Wencit half Hydrahni? Is that where Wild wizards come from? That is a secret Wencit would hold close to his poncho.

Wencit's comments about human/hydrahni cross breeds taking over the world - They take the best of both parents - leads me to this thought.

I think you're going for connections beyond the warrant of Occam's Razor there. Wencit is bearded and has ears that are not notable. It's open to suppose that he didn't draw distinctive hradani traits in the genetic lottery, or that he's got a permanent glamour running to hide that. But the first seems very forced, and the second not only seems forced but also would mean he either went without the recognition he would have had in Kontovar in Norfressa with a different appearance just to avoid hradani persecution (and incidentally leave people with inadequate reason to believe he's the head of the Council of Ottovar instead of a Carnadosan wild wizard), or that he held that glamour since the beginning of his career in Kontovar, well ahead of the Fall and hradani persecution.
Post by feyhunde   » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:52 pm

feyhunde
Lieutenant Commander

dwileye13 wrote:I think so. Another step off the virtual plank of assumption Is Wencit half Hydrahni? Is that where Wild wizards come from? That is a secret Wencit would hold close to his poncho.

Every other Wild Wizard we know of was of the imperial line. Eg. Ottovar and the Lord of Carnadosa, and per SotS dozens of others. We also know the Lord of Carnadosa had children as only he and Toren Strongarm survived the attack which began the war. Since the cat-eyed wizard seems to be also of the House of Ottovar, this is a pretty clear indication that wild wizards are not half Hradani, as half hradani are sterile.
Post by dwileye13   » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:34 am

dwileye13
Captain of the List

feyhunde wrote:
dwileye13 wrote:I think so. Another step off the virtual plank of assumption Is Wencit half Hydrahni? Is that where Wild wizards come from? That is a secret Wencit would hold close to his poncho.

Every other Wild Wizard we know of was of the imperial line. Eg. Ottovar and the Lord of Carnadosa, and per SotS dozens of others. We also know the Lord of Carnadosa had children as only he and Toren Strongarm survived the attack which began the war. Since the cat-eyed wizard seems to be also of the House of Ottovar, this is a pretty clear indication that wild wizards are not half Hradani, as half hradani are sterile.

Wencit was not of the Imperial Line and I would like a reference to the fact that Herrick was a wild wizard. I believe he was a wand wizard that went dark. Also, Herrick was killed by Toren in the last battle of Lost Hope. Herrick's heir is half human and half some cat eyed whatever. Toren and Herrick were human brothers not any form of hybrid.
Post by Louis R   » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:48 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

That reference is here: http://infodump.thefifthimperium.com/en ... essa/226/1

About half-way through.

dwileye13 wrote:
feyhunde wrote:

Wencit was not of the Imperial Line and I would like a reference to the fact that Herrick was a wild wizard. I believe he was a wand wizard that went dark. Also, Herrick was killed by Toren in the last battle of Lost Hope. Herrick's heir is half human and half some cat eyed whatever. Toren and Herrick were human brothers not any form of hybrid.

Return to War God