Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests

Maps.

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Maps.
Post by runsforcelery   » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:13 am

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

Forgot to mention this earlier. TOR is looking at setting up a small online site (with a link in the next book) where you will be able to find tactical and operational maps we couldn't fit into the page count of the book. I still have to get together with Joe Buckley about updating the Jiltanith map, but at least you should be able to track things like the route of Ahlvarez's retreat and major ship movements.

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Re: Maps.
Post by Isilith   » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:57 am

Isilith
Captain (Junior Grade)

runsforcelery wrote:Forgot to mention this earlier. TOR is looking at setting up a small online site (with a link in the next book) where you will be able to find tactical and operational maps we couldn't fit into the page count of the book. I still have to get together with Joe Buckley about updating the Jiltanith map, but at least you should be able to track things like the route of Ahlvarez's retreat and major ship movements.

This... is... awesome!!! Thanks RFC!!!
Post by isaac_newton   » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:42 am

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:Forgot to mention this earlier. TOR is looking at setting up a small online site (with a link in the next book) where you will be able to find tactical and operational maps we couldn't fit into the page count of the book. I still have to get together with Joe Buckley about updating the Jiltanith map, but at least you should be able to track things like the route of Ahlvarez's retreat and major ship movements.

Outstanding :-) :-)
Happy days
Post by BarryKirk   » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:36 am

BarryKirk
Captain of the List

Thank you thank you thank you...

Highly appreciated... I will "waste" many joyful hours examining those maps.
Post by Howard T. Map-addict   » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:01 am

Howard T. Map-addict
Rear Admiral

Hurray!

H True Map-addict

BarryKirk wrote:

Thank you thank you thank you...

Highly appreciated... I will "waste" many joyful hours examining those maps.
Post by USMA74   » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:40 pm

USMA74
Commander

Thank you (and Tor) for doing that. I hope they are on a little larger scale than the maps in the book. One suggestion is that the tactical (battle maps) be downloadable so that we, your loyal readers, can print out the maps and track individual units. I would hope that the final result would look a lot like the battle maps in West Point's History of the Civil War or any of the many Osprey publications.

PS Thank you as well for the two very nice snippets. :)
Post by lyonheart   » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:43 pm

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi USMA74,

Hello RFC!

Thank you so very much, and amen to all that others have posted, as I suspect this was your idea when they balked at printing all the maps you wanted.

Even if it wasn't, thank you for letting us know.

Is there a date for it to be up and running?

L

USMA74 wrote:Thank you (and Tor) for doing that. I hope they are on a little larger scale than the maps in the book. One suggestion is that the tactical (battle maps) be downloadable so that we, your loyal readers, can print out the maps and track individual units. I would hope that the final result would look a lot like the battle maps in West Point's History of the Civil War or any of the many Osprey publications.

PS Thank you as well for the two very nice snippets. :)
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by Frankjg   » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:23 pm

Frankjg
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Yeh! Maps for us to help follow the action. I want them.
Post by Kufat   » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:13 am

Kufat
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

I think it'd be fun if some of them were done in tech-level-appropriate styling and some were obviously generated by Owl. (Of course, the viewpoint that just wants them to be as clear as possible also has something for it.)
Post by Larry   » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:03 am

Larry
Lieutenant Commander

Better Maps???? GENIUS!!!! Love the idea. Hope this works out. Sometimes it's a little hard to see where the battle lines and current zone of controls for both sides are at. So many folks here seem to feel that Dohlar as an example will soon be isolated, but I just can't see it. Southern Harchong and Desnar certainly, if Silkah can be persuaded to allow it. But Dohlar, Well I have my doubts. Better maps to show how the two sides are deployed would certainly help clarify relative strengths and positions.

Larry

Return to Safehold