Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

The Number of Warp Transits between..

Set in the Starfire strategy game universe, co-authored by David and Steve White, these novels feature the clash of the Terran Federation, the cat-like Orions, the genocidal Rigelians, and the "Bugs"...join us in the discussion!
Re: The Number of Warp Transits between..
Post by HB of CJ   » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:29 pm

HB of CJ
Captain of the List

Conceiled. Concelled. Consealed. Concealed. It all sounds the same now. C ... O ... N ... C ...E ...A ...L ... E ... D. Concealed. Got it. Sorry. Slight stroke or big TIA. I also have lost most of my German, Spanish and Russian ... and visual first names. Age marches on and all that stuff. HB of CJ (old coot) :) :)
Post by Louis R   » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:29 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

that's what makes English so much fun. we've stolen so much vocabulary from so many places we can't tell it apart anymore :)

HB of CJ wrote:Conceiled. Concelled. Consealed. Concealed. It all sounds the same now. C ... O ... N ... C ...E ...A ...L ... E ... D. Concealed. Got it. Sorry. Slight stroke or big TIA. I also have lost most of my German, Spanish and Russian ... and visual first names. Age marches on and all that stuff. HB of CJ (old coot) :) :)
Post by DDHvi   » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:37 pm

DDHvi
Captain (Junior Grade)

Louis R wrote:that's what makes English so much fun. we've stolen so much vocabulary from so many places we can't tell it apart anymore :)

HB of CJ wrote:Conceiled. Concelled. Consealed. Concealed. It all sounds the same now. C ... O ... N ... C ...E ...A ...L ... E ... D. Concealed. Got it. Sorry. Slight stroke or big TIA. I also have lost most of my German, Spanish and Russian ... and visual first names. Age marches on and all that stuff. HB of CJ (old coot) :) :)

It can be fun counting the number of languages that have contributed in one way or another to English. Spelling according to the language the work came from is part of the confusion. I recall a piece, "Meihem in ce klasroom," IIRC, from Astounding that outlined how by changing one thing at a time and allowing a bit of time to get used to it before the next change, it would be possible to make English phonetic, instead of about 80-90% phonetic. One grade school teacher taught phonics, but had a jail cell diagram on the bulletin board, and any not phonetic words were exiled there and the students told they would just need to memorize them.

Making English more phonetic has been suggested at times, but the only progress seems to have been by the advertisers. We will come thru, phonics or no.

BTW, I suggest the Chinese ideograms are still used because of the multiple languages there. It means learning one new language for R/W instead of a dozen with their phonic systems. The alphabetical system works best where one language is dominant. Anyone wanting to start learning the ideograms should look at:

http://chineasy.org/
Douglas Hvistendahl
Retired technical nerd
ddhviste@drtel.net

Dumb mistakes are very irritating.
Smart mistakes go on forever
Unless you test your assumptions!
Post by coldsteel   » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:14 pm

coldsteel
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

And there, children, is how a thread gets derailed...

;)
Post by Roguevictory   » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:59 am

Roguevictory
Captain of the List

Zakharra wrote:
munroburton wrote:There was some textev in Shiva that implied the CSU would take primary responsibility for all the planets with sentients occupied by the Bugs - they promised to supply at least half of all ground landing forces, despite the fact that either the TFMC or the Orion equivalent alone outnumbered their groundforce. They had immense motivation to do just that for Teliki and their experience with that world would prepare them for the task far better than the TF.

So those systems became protectorates of the CSU. In order to carry their mission out, the CSU required absolute control of their supply lines, so the chain was ceded. It's certain that at the time that treaty was written up and those systems handed over, nobody thought the TF could ever suffer a schism, let alone outright civil war.

I do wonder what happened to the System Which Must Be Concealed.

I would believe that if the Federation hadn't kept control over the other Bug systems. There's a place in the book where the rebel female admiral (I cannot remember her name. >_< ) was spending several months patrolling a part of the old Bug systems because they were a possible way the Federation could have come to rebel space.

The part that was confusing me is that the Insurrection book was before Shiva (something like nine years), and no mention of the Curcian Union was made there. For obvious reasons of course, they hadn't been invented yet. But it still left a glaring hole to me. I also don't see the Federation letting the Curcians having control of the Harah system that is literally right next door to the Alpha Centauri system that is the Sol System Gateway. Not without some form of being allowed to have come Fleet units/warp point bases/fortresses in it.

Given what the Bugs almost did, I can see the Fleet and politicians being extremely firm in making sure that that system is under Federation control rather than Curcian. It seems like the safety of humanity's home and the Federation's capital would trump anything else. Anything else just seems.. odd.

1: The Federation probably keeps a ton of defenses on the Alpha Centauri side of the warp point, and possibly sends occasional recon drones through to keep an eye on things. Giving up that system to avoid caretaker duty was probably considered worth it, and the CSU might have been viewed as a shield. Any enemies coming in that way would have to fight through CSU territory to reach Alpha Centauri giving the Federation time to prepare and a means to study their new enemy in action.

2: The CSU got any bug systems with native sentient species and systems to form a supply line to such systems. Obviously the bug systems the rebels had to patrol or worry about didn't have any native species and were accessible to both sides without crossing the CSU supply lines.
Post by coldsteel   » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:09 pm

coldsteel
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Also, remember, like someone said, Insurrection was written years before ISW-4. The Pesthouse chain was never considered till then. I believe Marvin had to write up some revisionist Encyclopedia Galactica entries when the game module came out.

Return to Starfire