Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 40 guests

Notes from Weber--SPOILER WARNING!!!

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Notes from Weber--SPOILER WARNING!!!
Post by Hutch   » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:23 pm

Hutch
Vice Admiral

So I am at Liberty Con in Chattanooga (2 hr drive for me), where the MWW is the Writer Guest of Honor (and Eric Flint is here with the 1632 Mini-con). DW had a session of "Weber Talks" (not what it was called, but that is what we got), where he held forth on a variety of topics, most have little to do with the Honorverse (but we did get his take on Islam, history thereof). But in the last 5 minutes of the session, he did let several things slip.

So I repeat again..SPOILER WARNING!! If you read past here and then say "Awww, I didn't want to know that now, tough patooties...You Have Been Warned.

Also, I'd ask that you take care not to drop this out of the thread except with Spoiler warnings....the way DW talked we won't see anything from Honor in 2015 and if there is anything in 2016, it'll be later than sooner, so let's be careful about spoiling anything for folks who don't like to know ahead of time.

That said.....

* House of LIes is taking longer than planned, both due to the MWW writing schedule and Bu9's ability to get together and hash out the detail work. He has not started his novelette for House of Lies yet, but he did reveal....

*...That it was supposed to be about the DuQuense plan and Mesan involvement with same, but that instead he currently plans to write two shorter novelettes focusing on the lives and times of Thomas Theisman and Eloise Prichart as they go from the Legislaturist Era to the Rob Pierre/Oscar St. Just era and ending the Tom asks Eloise to take over the Government.

(And no, I take no responsibility for any seismic shifts caused by rose-n-heather's reaction to this news.)

* Weber confirmed that there will be only two more books in the 'mainline' Honor Harrington saga, and guaranteedthat we will not be disappointed on how it turns out or Honor's involvement in the storyline. While giving nothing of the plot away, he did say (spoiler warning, remember....)

--About 10 Million Beowulfers are going to die. He originally planned that "Uncle Jacques" would be one of them, but may be back off that, since how much more can you piss Honor off than she already is?

--Eloise and Emperess Elizabeth are going to forge even closer ties between Haven and Manticore, by giving citizenship in one polity the same recognition in the other (i.e., if a Manticorian moves to a Havenite system, he will be treated the same as if he was a Havenite, and visa versa for Havenites in the SEM. He hasn't decided yet if the fleets will be merged or be more like a NATO-type relationship, but the pattern will be to ensure that whatever comes in the future, Haven and Manticore will face it together...as friends and allies.

(somebody please check on rose-n-heather's BP)

And that should be enough. Again, don't expect anything before the last half of 2016 and maybe 2017. Runs for Celery said nothing (at this time) about the movie deal. But we still have two days to go and he's doing a session with Eric Flint tomorrow morning, so who knows what may get dropped.....

Remember. "SPOILERS" if you use this information in other threads...or try to keep the conversation on this one.
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Re: Notes from Weber--SPOILER WARNING!!!
Post by kzt   » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:30 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Hutch wrote:--About 10 Million Beowulfers are going to die. He originally planned that "Uncle Jacques" would be one of them, but may be back off that, since how much more can you piss Honor off than she already is?

That's about 3 orders of magnitude less than I was expecting...
Post by Kytheros   » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:10 am

Kytheros
Rear Admiral

kzt wrote:
Hutch wrote:--About 10 Million Beowulfers are going to die. He originally planned that "Uncle Jacques" would be one of them, but may be back off that, since how much more can you piss Honor off than she already is?

I expect that the uninhabited areas of Beowulf will be taking a lot of damage too.
Also, Beowulf might get "lucky" and suffer mostly glancing damage strikes, rather than direct impacts.

It is, after all, unlikely that the SLN will be directly aiming at Beowulf, and the MAlign can't be too obvious about their meddling - Beowulf is close enough - and important enough, that the rest of the League, or at least the elites of the League, will be paying attention.
Post by Bill Woods   » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:28 am

Bill Woods
Captain of the List

kzt wrote:
[Blink.] You were expecting something on the order of 10 Billion? That would be more or less the entire population of the system! Even 10M is more than the Yawata Strike.
----
Imagined conversation:
Admiral [noting yet another Manty tech surprise]:
XO, what's the budget for the ONI?
Vice Admiral: I don't recall exactly, sir. Several billion quatloos.
Admiral: ... What do you suppose they did with all that money?
Post by kzt   » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:05 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Bill Woods wrote: [Blink.] You were expecting something on the order of 10 Billion? That would be more or less the entire population of the system! Even 10M is more than the Yawata Strike.

Hey, I'm really sorry about hitting the planet with those missiles... Totally an accident. Really.
Post by George J. Smith   » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:13 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

Methinks that maybe the 500+ waller fleet that was in Tasmania might have something to do with the projected event at Beowulf
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by Hutch   » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:04 am

Hutch
Vice Admiral

George J. Smith wrote:Methinks that maybe the 500+ waller fleet that was in Tasmania might have something to do with the projected event at Beowulf

If we knew where that (by now nearly 600-waller) fleet actually is (Kingsford has called them off, but I for one (small minority, I know) still am troubled on the timing of that), and we do not know where Beowulf is in regards to Tasmania....may be 200-300 LY away as far as we know.
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by munroburton   » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:52 am

munroburton
Admiral

Hutch wrote:
George J. Smith wrote:Methinks that maybe the 500+ waller fleet that was in Tasmania might have something to do with the projected event at Beowulf

If we knew where that (by now nearly 600-waller) fleet actually is (Kingsford has called them off, but I for one (small minority, I know) still am troubled on the timing of that), and we do not know where Beowulf is in regards to Tasmania....may be 200-300 LY away as far as we know.

Tasmania is implictly about halfway between Sol and Manticore.

In any case, the SLN still has lots of active wallers. Even with Filareta's 500 and the 600 at Tasmania, they still have 900 or so elsewhere, including Tsang's 100 which is already assembled and stationed close to Beowulf.
Post by NervousEnergy   » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:28 pm

NervousEnergy
Captain (Junior Grade)

Has he said anything about the overall writing schedule?
Post by Michael Riddell   » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:22 pm

Michael Riddell
Captain (Junior Grade)

Très intéressant.....

Mike.

Hutch wrote:* House of LIes is taking longer than planned, both due to the MWW writing schedule and Bu9's ability to get together and hash out the detail work. He has not started his novelette for House of Lies yet, but he did reveal....

*...That it was supposed to be about the DuQuense plan and Mesan involvement with same, but that instead he currently plans to write two shorter novelettes focusing on the lives and times of Thomas Theisman and Eloise Prichart as they go from the Legislaturist Era to the Rob Pierre/Oscar St. Just era and ending the Tom asks Eloise to take over the Government.

(And no, I take no responsibility for any seismic shifts caused by rose-n-heather's reaction to this news.)

* Weber confirmed that there will be only two more books in the 'mainline' Honor Harrington saga, and guaranteedthat we will not be disappointed on how it turns out or Honor's involvement in the storyline. While giving nothing of the plot away, he did say (spoiler warning, remember....)

--About 10 Million Beowulfers are going to die. He originally planned that "Uncle Jacques" would be one of them, but may be back off that, since how much more can you piss Honor off than she already is?

--Eloise and Emperess Elizabeth are going to forge even closer ties between Haven and Manticore, by giving citizenship in one polity the same recognition in the other (i.e., if a Manticorian moves to a Havenite system, he will be treated the same as if he was a Havenite, and visa versa for Havenites in the SEM. He hasn't decided yet if the fleets will be merged or be more like a NATO-type relationship, but the pattern will be to ensure that whatever comes in the future, Haven and Manticore will face it together...as friends and allies.
---------------------
Gonnae no DAE that!

Why?

Just gonnae NO!
---------------------

Return to Honorverse