Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests

What is next at the Front

"Hell's Gate" and "Hell Hath No Fury", by David, Linda Evans, and Joelle Presby, take the clash of science and magic to a whole new dimension...join us in a friendly discussion of this engrossing series!
Re: What is next at the Front
Post by Astelon   » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:23 pm

Astelon
Commander

I don't see a lot of extra anger over the gas attacks either. Maybe a little over such an indiscriminate killing weapon, but it's not much worse than artillery.

As for R&D to defend against and use gas weapons of their own, Earth had crude gas masks in the 9th century. It was originally used for miners. Sharon probably has some version available for modification and military use. They may even have developed poison gasses and not used them yet (no major wars recently).
Post by Castenea   » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:59 pm

Castenea
Captain of the List

Astelon wrote:I don't see a lot of extra anger over the gas attacks either. Maybe a little over such an indiscriminate killing weapon, but it's not much worse than artillery.

As for R&D to defend against and use gas weapons of their own, Earth had crude gas masks in the 9th century. It was originally used for miners. Sharon probably has some version available for modification and military use. They may even have developed poison gasses and not used them yet (no major wars recently).

I will almost guarantee that Sharona has gas masks of some kind already in production. Some of the compound developed from coal tar chemistry are nasty, and if they are refining kerosine in significant quantities some of the by products there are not much better. An example of the nasty products that a refinery may have for which protective suits are required is high purity an-aqueous ammonia (corrosive and flammable). Note ammonia is used in production of fertilizers and high explosives.
Post by n7axw   » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:02 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Just a comment about dragons...

I think that the attack on Ft Shalby revealed their vulnerability to Sharonan weapons. That opens up a real can of worms for the Arcanans. Textev reveals that they really don't have that many to start with, iirc, under 200??? And it takes 20 years to raise and train the things.

That means using them for casual things like raiding and so on is probably not a very good idea. In fact the Arcanans are going to have to think hard and make tough choices about when they are used at all.

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.

Return to Multiverse