Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

Heads of State Unable to Read a Treaty???

"Hell's Gate" and "Hell Hath No Fury", by David, Linda Evans, and Joelle Presby, take the clash of science and magic to a whole new dimension...join us in a friendly discussion of this engrossing series!
Re: Heads of State Unable to Read a Treaty???
Post by tinfoil   » Tue May 26, 2015 4:11 pm

tinfoil
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Anyone else smelling a plot sequence similar to Roger/Elizabeth in Honorverse where they off the 'old guy' in hopes of creating a pliable female monarch, but getting the exact opposite?
Post by Howard T. Map-addict   » Wed May 27, 2015 1:25 pm

Howard T. Map-addict
Rear Admiral

If so, then we can expect DW to vary it.
Perhaps Emperor Zindel survives badly injured,
and Princess Andrin becomes Regent.

Let's see, does the Act Of Union provide for a Regency?
Perhaps one of the other monarchs becomes Acting Ruler.
:) ;) :o :D :lol: :twisted: :geek: :mrgreen:

HTM

tinfoil wrote:Anyone else smelling a plot sequence similar to Roger/Elizabeth in Honorverse where they off the 'old guy' in hopes of creating a pliable female monarch, but getting the exact opposite?
Post by brnicholas   » Thu May 28, 2015 8:22 pm

brnicholas
Captain (Junior Grade)

I also smell Empress Andrin in the near future but when Louis R speaks of Andrin chan Calirath he is thinking far far too small. Before this is over she is more likely to be Empress Andrin the Great or Empress Andrin Hammer of Arcana. In two centuries the Caliraths will be speaking of themselves as the descendents of Andrin, Halian and Erthain the Great.

Nicholas

tinfoil wrote:Anyone else smelling a plot sequence similar to Roger/Elizabeth in Honorverse where they off the 'old guy' in hopes of creating a pliable female monarch, but getting the exact opposite?
Post by Randomiser   » Fri May 29, 2015 4:01 am

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

brnicholas wrote:I also smell Empress Andrin in the near future but when Louis R speaks of Andrin chan Calirath he is thinking far far too small. Before this is over she is more likely to be Empress Andrin the Great or Empress Andrin Hammer of Arcana. In two centuries the Caliraths will be speaking of themselves as the descendents of Andrin, Halian and Erthain the Great.

Nicholas

I think, and I certainly hope, this series is going to be a lot more nuanced than just 'Sharona good, Arcana bad'
Post by PeterZ   » Fri May 29, 2015 5:11 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Of course it will. Consider the reprisals Sharona must implement to discourage continued Arcanan atrocities. Justified or not, they will be heart wrenching when applied to sympathetic Arcanans.

Randomiser wrote:
brnicholas wrote:I also smell Empress Andrin in the near future but when Louis R speaks of Andrin chan Calirath he is thinking far far too small. Before this is over she is more likely to be Empress Andrin the Great or Empress Andrin Hammer of Arcana. In two centuries the Caliraths will be speaking of themselves as the descendents of Andrin, Halian and Erthain the Great.

Nicholas

I think, and I certainly hope, this series is going to be a lot more nuanced than just 'Sharona good, Arcana bad'
Post by bkwormlisa   » Sat May 30, 2015 4:16 pm

bkwormlisa
Commander

After the way Andrin slapped him down - and even semi-defied her father - in that last Conclave, I don't think Chava would expect her to be a pliable young female ruler. I suppose it's possible, since it's been implied that he thinks little of women, but he has some pretty good evidence that Andrin isn't about to roll over and play dead for him.

And I do hope it's not going to be the same. I think it would be a lot more interesting to have a strong ruler and a strong heir, instead of only a single authority figure. Elizabeth's son hasn't yet appeared in any of her conferences or even really developed a character onstage, and I'd like to see what happens when Andrin regularly attends Zindel's planning sessions. Especially if she disagrees with him at some point!
Howard T. Map-addict wrote:If so, then we can expect DW to vary it.
Perhaps Emperor Zindel survives badly injured,
and Princess Andrin becomes Regent.

Let's see, does the Act Of Union provide for a Regency?
Perhaps one of the other monarchs becomes Acting Ruler.
:) ;) :o :D :lol: :twisted: :geek: :mrgreen:

HTM

Post by Astelon   » Sat May 30, 2015 5:19 pm

Astelon
Commander

I suspect it will be more of kill the Caliraths and take over bit, especially if they manage to successfully snub Chava Busar. I don't know how arrogant he is, but if he could some how cripple the Ternathian response to his takeover bid, then he might think he could successfully seize power.
Post by boballab   » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:01 am

boballab
Captain of the List

Randomiser wrote:

Nicholas

Keep in mind that we haven't seen the inside of Arcanan politics like we have Sharona's. All we know so far is that it has two main factions similar to the ones Sharona has, but we haven't seen how the sausage is made there yet nor their reaction.

"I'd like to think that someone in the Navy somewhere has at least the IQ of a gerbil!" Rear Admiral Rozsak on the officers in the SLN
Post by Astelon   » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:18 am

Astelon
Commander

It is actually three main factions; the Ransarans (Gadrial's people), Andarans (Jasak's people), and Mythalans. Currently the combined vote of the Andarans, and Ransarans set the policy, but Mythal is looking to change that.

A major part of the reason most readers identify more with Sharona is because we have seen the inside of their politics, and seen mostly good people. It is very hard to identify with something (Arcana and its leadership) when you know next nothing about it. It gets even harder when the highest ranking individual you have seen is obviously a "bad guy," and the second is allowing atrocities out of perceived military necessity.

AS for reprisals, I hope Sharona avoids official reprisals (unofficial is another matter entirely). What I can see happening is that Sharonan talents allow them to identify, try, and execute the guilty more rapidly then any Aracana could possibly believe (and they won't). The executions could be seen out of context by a recon flight leaving the Arcanans to believe that the Sharonans are willfully murdering prisons for no cause. After all the expeditionary force has been told this already, I'm sure word is spreading to other ormations as they are (or will be) moved up.
Post by PeterZ   » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:55 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

If the issue is simply illegal brutality, even by Arcanan standards, you are probably right about having no official reprisals. Unfortunately, Arcana might have initiated an official policy for dealing with Voices. In that case, Sharona must respond with a reprisal to deter that policy or their voices will be a continued target. By doing nothing, Sharona encourages Arcana to continue either using or even expanding the policy until it bites them back.

Astelon wrote:It is actually three main factions; the Ransarans (Gadrial's people), Andarans (Jasak's people), and Mythalans. Currently the combined vote of the Andarans, and Ransarans set the policy, but Mythal is looking to change that.

A major part of the reason most readers identify more with Sharona is because we have seen the inside of their politics, and seen mostly good people. It is very hard to identify with something (Arcana and its leadership) when you know next nothing about it. It gets even harder when the highest ranking individual you have seen is obviously a "bad guy," and the second is allowing atrocities out of perceived military necessity.

AS for reprisals, I hope Sharona avoids official reprisals (unofficial is another matter entirely). What I can see happening is that Sharonan talents allow them to identify, try, and execute the guilty more rapidly then any Aracana could possibly believe (and they won't). The executions could be seen out of context by a recon flight leaving the Arcanans to believe that the Sharonans are willfully murdering prisons for no cause. After all the expeditionary force has been told this already, I'm sure word is spreading to other ormations as they are (or will be) moved up.

Return to Multiverse