Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

SoftS Official Snippet #11

Fans of Bahzell and Tomenack come on in! Let's talk about David's fantasy series and our favorite hradani!
Re: SoftS Official Snippet #11
Post by Spacekiwi   » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:53 pm

Spacekiwi
Admiral

Or that. Yeah. My first thought though was that it was a typo. Yours fits too though. :)

ti3x wrote:
No, I'm sure it's supposed to be, "He is Space Sergeant Houghton." That make more sense.

Or, possibly, we're seeing an artifact of a dictation software hiccup. But I think the first one is much more likely. ;)
`

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
its not paranoia if its justified... :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by hvb   » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:32 pm

hvb
Captain (Junior Grade)

Yes, the impression I am getting is that this is the 'verse we know, or at least one too close to it for us to have evidence otherwise as of yet.

But Kenhodan is relearning the world guided, not only by suppressed memories, but suppressed memories from a home 'verse that is not this one.

i.e. in his 'verse the canal project (and a great many things after, and likely some before) never happened; but in this one they did.

Thus Bahzell, Wencit, & Leeana (& Tomanāk) are dropping hints we get, because the former three are "our" 'verse's versions of those lifes/souls/whatnot; but that 'verse is not the one Kenhodan recalls deep background from, and so we must conclude that he isn't the Ken Houghton Bahzell & Wencit met in Sword Brother. (Which Tomanāk points out in the deepest-most authorial voice. :mrgreen: )

Kenhodan is not only bereft of his memories, but those memories are of another 'verse.

ti3x wrote:Unless Kenhodan's memories are not up to date.

PeterZ wrote:Well we also know this is NOT the same universe as War Maid's Choice. Varnaythus died before WMC occurred in the universe of Sword Brother. That suggests that the events of WMC were different.

I suspect that the Derm Canal did not happen. Had that canal been completed Kenhodan's "recollection" of the animosity between Sothoi and Hradani would have been tempered by that massive joint project. What exactly happened is unknown. I can't wait to find out.
Post by PeterZ   » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:21 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

I doubt that Ken Houghton was in Bahzell's 'verse long enough to learn much the first time they met. Certainly not about Sothoi war maids and Kontovaran sword fighting techniques.

He was given those memories. So why give him old memories? I think it is more likely that this universe is different from that of WMC.

hvb wrote:Yes, the impression I am getting is that this is the 'verse we know, or at least one too close to it for us to have evidence otherwise as of yet.

But Kenhodan is relearning the world guided, not only by suppressed memories, but suppressed memories from a home 'verse that is not this one.

i.e. in his 'verse the canal project (and a great many things after, and likely some before) never happened; but in this one they did.

Thus Bahzell, Wencit, & Leeana (& Tomanāk) are dropping hints we get, because the former three are "our" 'verse's versions of those lifes/souls/whatnot; but that 'verse is not the one Kenhodan recalls deep background from, and so we must conclude that he isn't the Ken Houghton Bahzell & Wencit met in Sword Brother. (Which Tomanāk points out in the deepest-most authorial voice. :mrgreen: )

Kenhodan is not only bereft of his memories, but those memories are of another 'verse.
]
Post by FriarBob   » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:11 pm

FriarBob
Rear Admiral

PeterZ wrote:I doubt that Ken Houghton was in Bahzell's 'verse long enough to learn much the first time they met. Certainly not about Sothoi war maids and Kontovaran sword fighting techniques.

He was given those memories. So why give him old memories? I think it is more likely that this universe is different from that of WMC.

You missed that part where Tomanak stated that this was NOT Ken Houghton. It's apparently supposed to be some sort of genetic-twin/doppelganger of his (more or less) but one who grew up in a NOT real world instead of the world we know with Light Attack Vehicles and similar "tanks" (by Bahzell's standard's at least, obviously not by our own).

And odds are VERY good he grew up in this same fictional one as Bahzell. What little now remains of his otherwise missing memories are NOW wrong because what he does remember is from BEFORE things changed so much because of Bahzell and his dad and the rest of the gang's previous adventures.
Post by PeterZ   » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:41 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Perhaps, FB. I suspect that in universes so fundamentally different as Sargent Houghton's and Bahzell's are, the people that inhabit them are different. The menu of choices are different enough for enough generations between those worlds would shape the same soul differently. It makes more sense that Kenhodan comes from a similar world as Sargent Houghton.

FriarBob wrote:
PeterZ wrote:I doubt that Ken Houghton was in Bahzell's 'verse long enough to learn much the first time they met. Certainly not about Sothoi war maids and Kontovaran sword fighting techniques.

You missed that part where Tomanak stated that this was NOT Ken Houghton. It's apparently supposed to be some sort of genetic-twin/doppelganger of his (more or less) but one who grew up in a NOT real world instead of the world we know with Light Attack Vehicles and similar "tanks" (by Bahzell's standard's at least, obviously not by our own).

And odds are VERY good he grew up in this same fictional one as Bahzell. What little now remains of his otherwise missing memories are NOW wrong because what he does remember is from BEFORE things changed so much because of Bahzell and his dad and the rest of the gang's previous adventures.
Post by ericth   » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:17 am

ericth
Commander

If we knew who gave Bahzell that pipe, the "friend long since dead", it might help us narrow down things, but I cant recall any textev from prior books detailing who. Does anyone know?
Post by PeterZ   » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:19 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

ericth wrote:If we knew who gave Bahzell that pipe, the "friend long since dead", it might help us narrow down things, but I cant recall any textev from prior books detailing who. Does anyone know?

Guessing its the halfling sea captain. Forgot the name.
Post by Bluenoser   » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:02 am

Bluenoser
Ensign

PeterZ wrote:
ericth wrote:If we knew who gave Bahzell that pipe, the "friend long since dead", it might help us narrow down things, but I cant recall any textev from prior books detailing who. Does anyone know?

Guessing its the halfling sea captain. Forgot the name.

Evark Pitchhallow was his name, and he was who I thought of too as opposed to Kilthan.
Post by Bahzellstudent   » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:57 pm

Bahzellstudent
Lieutenant Commander

thanks RFC
Post by lyonheart   » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:26 pm

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hello RunsForCelery,

Thanks so very much for the snippet!

So we have to wait about another 10 days for the next one?

Looks like it'll be worth it. 8-)

Thanks again.

L
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!

Return to War God