Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests

A Space Pirate/Privateer novel series and setting

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
A Space Pirate/Privateer novel series and setting
Post by lwhitehead   » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:15 pm

lwhitehead
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Hi this idea I have a space Pirate/Privateer novel series and setting, originally it I wanted it for the Honor setting.

Now when Space empires and nations got to war there navies tend to snap up able body people to man there ships, that's something the Honor books didn't have.

I need help figuring out what these ships are like and FTL travel system however there is a space Bouy system created by an Alien race the Humans keep finding bits of there relics.

LW
Re: A Space Pirate/Privateer novel series and setting
Post by Daryl   » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:51 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Good to see that you are still interested in writing your novel. I'm sure that others here will help and offer constructive criticism.
As we all discussed previously you do need to work on your spelling and grammar, as editors will only do so much, and from this small post it is evident that more needs to be done.

Good luck.

lwhitehead wrote:Hi this idea I have a space Pirate/Privateer novel series and setting, originally it I wanted it for the Honor setting.

Now when Space empires and nations got to war there navies tend to snap up able body people to man there ships, that's something the Honor books didn't have.

I need help figuring out what these ships are like and FTL travel system however there is a space Bouy system created by an Alien race the Humans keep finding bits of there relics.

LW
Post by Thucydides   » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:55 pm

Thucydides
Captain of the List

Press ganging is an interesting approach for a naval/space war setting. After all, the War of 1812 revolved in part around British press ganging of Anerican merchant marine sailors for the Royal Navy.

Of course this does lead to one question: why would a Space Navy, needing highly skilled and motivated people to run the ships want to press gang people? How would the Navy ensure they are getting the right quality of people, much less motivate them to serve and serve well aboard the warship? (I might wonder about the loyalty of a person press ganged aboard my space warship).

Details like how the ships work and the FTL system can be researched, since thousands of SF novels, games, cartoons, movies and so on exist to get inspiration. Just be consistent; if ships don't have artificial gravity then you have to remember to think about details like how the ship changes orientation when under power, when rotating and when in free fall (including interior fixtures, the ships heads (toilets) and how people get to and from their duty stations). I would suggest reading the Atomic Rockets website for a good place to start.

http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/index.php

Whatever system you decide to use, it will also put some limits on what the people in the story can do, and how the "universe" will be shaped (if you can just "pop" into real space right in orbit over a planet, then a space navy provides no protection and there is really no reason for things like Space Empires to maintain navies, for example). So think about how your story needs to work, so you don't pick something which causes plot problems later.
Post by Weird Harold   » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:30 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Thucydides wrote:Press ganging is an interesting approach for a naval/space war setting. After all, the War of 1812 revolved in part around British press ganging of American merchant marine sailors for the Royal Navy.

Details like how the ships work and the FTL system can be researched, ...

David Drake's RCN/Lt Leary series features a naval organization that would work well with press-gangs. I don't know how well the sail-based FTL travel technology would fit with the OP's vision, but the Republic of Cinnabar Navy would work as a model for press-ganged crews.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)

Return to Free-Range Topics...