Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

1632 TV Series

Alternate history buff? Wander on over for a discussion about Eric Flint's 1632 series!
1632 TV Series
Post by Greentea   » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:36 pm

Greentea
Commander

Eric posted an update to Baen's Bar:

I've been asked by a number of people where things stand with the TV series. In a nutshell, things are progressing but nothing has gelled yet. Mammoth Screen is sending people to LA in March to pitch the proposal to various distributors, and I'll fly out myself to meet with them. Hopefully I'll have more to report after that.

Fingers crossed. I want a 1632 Series TV show.
Cup of tea? Yes, please.
Re: 1632 TV Series
Post by Hutch   » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:54 pm

Hutch
Vice Admiral

Greentea wrote:Eric posted an update to Baen's Bar:

I've been asked by a number of people where things stand with the TV series. In a nutshell, things are progressing but nothing has gelled yet. Mammoth Screen is sending people to LA in March to pitch the proposal to various distributors, and I'll fly out myself to meet with them. Hopefully I'll have more to report after that.

Fingers crossed. I want a 1632 Series TV show.

Indeed, it would have to be better than 90% of the dreck that it on the tube.

I just shudder to think of what "Hollywood" would do with a story about 'hillbillies', Jews, 'primitive' Germans and real life characters like Gustavus and Richelieu...

I have great hopes and equally great fears....
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by EdThomas   » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:16 pm

EdThomas
Captain of the List

I'd love to see a 1632 series. One problem might be the number of possible story lines. There's so much happening in the series it would probably require more than one show to cover all the bases. The breadth of the sociological and political scope of the series is mind-boggling; a world without slavery, World Wars I and II never happening, a 300 year jump on technological development, etc
Post by Weird Harold   » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:18 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

EdThomas wrote:I'd love to see a 1632 series. One problem might be the number of possible story lines. There's so much happening in the series it would probably require more than one show to cover all the bases. The breadth of the sociological and political scope of the series is mind-boggling; a world without slavery, World Wars I and II never happening, a 300 year jump on technological development, etc

That might be what would make a series work well. I don't think TV has had a decent "anthology series" in decades; something that isn't the same cast in the same location week after week.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by coldsteel   » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:26 pm

coldsteel
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

As long as Tim Curry is NOT Richelieu... ;)
I Have Not Watched TV In Over 20 Years ...
Post by HB of CJ   » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:05 am

HB of CJ
Captain of the List

But ... if this ever makes it to broadcast, I may make an exception. It will be interesting how Hollywood (not known for any sanity or reason) will spin the books.

Will it gloss important stuff over? How would the episode time lines work? Compression of events? Lots of excellent inexpensive actors looking for good solid work.

It might be possible to create an extremely good series for little actual money. So many important aspects would have to come together. I volunteer for the medical stuff.

HB of CJ (old coot) ex RN. I love this Forum.
Post by dvdscar   » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:04 am

dvdscar
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

The production company involved is a British operation with a good reputation, so the hope is that "Hollyweird business-as-usual" will not be as big a problem as it would be with a US company.

Note that none of us are holding our breaths, as there has been no announcement yet that they intend to start production. We're kind of hoping to hear something along that line come out of the March meetings.

David
Post by HB of CJ   » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:18 pm

HB of CJ
Captain of the List

Curious how a British production company could do correct justice with the hills of West Virginia working through Hollywood CA USA? Reason I ask is that I am from Roanoke Virginia and kinda understand the mindset and culture. Sounds like a receipt for disaster. Just me. HB of CJ (old coot)
Post by pokermind   » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:55 am

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

HB of CJ wrote:Curious how a British production company could do correct justice with the hills of West Virginia working through Hollywood CA USA? Reason I ask is that I am from Roanoke Virginia and kinda understand the mindset and culture. Sounds like a receipt for disaster. Just me. HB of CJ (old coot)

Most of the story is in 2600s Europe thus an English company perhaps in association with a German company could do justice to the stories. The company could go to West Virgina for backgrounds and do the rest on the soud stges for Grantville. ;)

Poker
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Post by HB of CJ   » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:04 pm

HB of CJ
Captain of the List

Or ... and I love a good idea, why not just find a small town close to logistical needs and pretend it is Grantsville WV? BUT ... the WV hills and stuff are pretty distinctive and unique.

Then film most of the stuff on location cheap? Get some local hill billy types as extras? The concern would be the European 1630 stuff be correct enough? Clothing comes to mind.

Europe does NOT look like West Virginia. Thus the rub. Some of the story line would have to be "in town" (WV USA) and the rest "out in the country" (Northern Germany, 1630's)

Yep ... like already before better than me, this implies two production crews. How this could be done cheap is beyond me. Lots of ways this endeavor could fail ... or greatly succeed.

Just me. HB of CJ (old coot)

Return to Assiti Shards