Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests

Unification?

"Hell's Gate" and "Hell Hath No Fury", by David, Linda Evans, and Joelle Presby, take the clash of science and magic to a whole new dimension...join us in a friendly discussion of this engrossing series!
Re: Unification?
Post by brnicholas   » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:54 am

brnicholas
Captain (Junior Grade)

Henry Brown wrote:
brnicholas wrote:I think some of the largest multinational companies (General Electric, GM, Toyota, HSBC for example) may match the PA in all the ways you describe.

Nicholas

I have to disagree. Consider 2 of the companies you use as an example: Toyota and GM. Both are large, international automobile companies. But that is all they are. Toyota and GM don't make other kinds of stuff. Furthermore, there are a number of *other* large auto companies such as Ford, VW, Honda, Hyundai/Kia and so on. So even in the one industry that are a part of, neither GM or Toyota is truly dominant.

Now consider the PA. They build railroads on a scale that dwarfs the trans-continental railroad project of the 1900s. They also manufacture the equipment used to build the railroads AND the locomotives that will run on the tracks once built. They operate ships wherever there is a watergap in the multiverse. They also build the ships, establish the ports, and administrate the ports. All multiverse communications are controlled by the PA. Finally, the PA runs the portals which has no true real world equivalent, but which I think could be called logistics. So, the PA is a railroad/heavy equipment manufacturing/shipping/shipbuilding/communications/logistics company. And in each of the area I just named, the PA is far and away the largest, dominant company.

We have read the books in very very different ways. As a starting point since you mention the PA's multinational character I assume you are talking about the PA as it was when the series started. At that point I understand the PA to have responsibility for operating the portals and providing security for them, for regulating exploration of the multiverse and certifying and protecting the property rights of those operating on the frontier. That is all I understand the PA to be doing.

The TTE is an independent private company. It, not the PA, is responsible for the railroads. There is a clause in the right of way agreement that lets it build railroads through the portals which lets the PA nationalize (or maybe the right word is internationalize) it under certain circumstances but that doesn't mean the two should be equated at the beginning of the series. I don't recall any evidence that the TTE is a monopoly operator except at the frontier and I don't recall any evidence at all that it builds rather then purchases its engines, cars and equipment.

In conclusion, is their a modern equivalent for the PA, no but it is not as dramatically far off from what we have as you think.

Nicholas
Post by rafael   » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:28 pm

rafael
Captain of the List

Astelon wrote:
Howard T. Map-addict wrote:They do know that the Strangers attacked them at once,
and with Magical Weapons.
They do not know of any escapees.
They have reason to believe that someone was kidnapped.

And the Arcanas have apparently shown no mercy to those they have faced, murdering and slaughtering (they don't know about torture yet but can make good guesses as to why no voice got a warning out) their way through multiple universes for no reason at all. In fact the Arcanans used peace talks as a ploy to begin this murderous rampage, so they have no honor or respect for other at all.

It would be understandable for the average Sharonan to assume that the Arcanans want nothing more than the complete destruction of all opposition, and enslavement of all people to their way of life. In fact the national leaders should be reaching that conclusion based on the evidence.

A lot of pressure for effective action on the part of the whole planet, with no exceptions. was it rushed? Yes, a bit, but they had good reasoning behind their actions.[/quote]

The above atrocities were carried out by order of a political military leader and do not seem to be what they as a culture act like or fight.

And no one knew who shot first.
Post by Astelon   » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:56 pm

Astelon
Commander

The above atrocities were carried out by order of a political military leader and do not seem to be what they as a culture act like or fight.

And no one on Sharona knows that. They have to make judgements based on the actions they see, which are a series of atrocities, lies, and aggression form Arcana. From the Sharonan view point Arcana, as a whole, has chosen this war, without regard or respect for fellow man. If Sharona doesn't respond effectively and forcefully they become slaves.

It will likely be argued that any Arcanan attempt to initiate negotiations is just a ploy to buy time, especially after the trouncing the Arcanans just received.

At this point the first shot is irrelevant. From the Sharonan view the Arcanans don't want peace, and it will be almost impossible to convince them otherwise.

The Arcanans will shortly be better informed on the intent of the Sharonans, especially when the first emperor of Sharona tells them it is total war.

Return to Multiverse