Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Death of a church?

Fans of Colin Maclntyre and the great starship Dahak should take a minute to stop in here for discussions about one of David's best-loved series.
Death of a church?
Post by eldrwyrm   » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:56 pm

eldrwyrm
Lieutenant Commander

Has there ever been any word about what happened on Pardal between Sean hacking Cent Comp and the "I'm not dead yet" hypercom? I was very disappointed to not see anything in the story about that. Mostly because I was hoping it would give me some insight as to how RFC might handle the Church of God Awaiting on Safehold. :mrgreen:
Re: Death of a church?
Post by munroburton   » Sat May 17, 2014 7:54 am

munroburton
Admiral

eldrwyrm wrote:Has there ever been any word about what happened on Pardal between Sean hacking Cent Comp and the "I'm not dead yet" hypercom? I was very disappointed to not see anything in the story about that. Mostly because I was hoping it would give me some insight as to how RFC might handle the Church of God Awaiting on Safehold. :mrgreen:

Almost certainly, he shut down the defense systems and turned the temple servitors onto the remaining Loyalists, as well as fully unlocking Imperial technology for use around Cent Comp. It's possible their army was ordered to disengage while the Imperial weapons came into use.

A Temple Loyalist surrender probably followed. If the kids were smart, they rounded up the remaining Loyalist clergy and put them on top of the list for history classes. Even if they accomplished this fully, there might be zealous enclaves rejecting everything put before them as Demon magic/lies and clinging even harder to their old lifestyles. How long those enclaves will last is anyone's guess, but they won't be able to do crap about fully-enhanced Imperials backed by hundreds of planetoids.

I'd say the same thing, in broad strokes, would happen on Safehold as soon as Merlin can neutralise the Rakurai and open up Nimue's Cave. The technology gap won't be as insurmountable for the Faithful, however.
Post by 7thsealord   » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:38 am

7thsealord
Commander

munroburton wrote:A Temple Loyalist surrender probably followed. If the kids were smart, they rounded up the remaining Loyalist clergy and put them on top of the list for history classes. Even if they accomplished this fully, there might be zealous enclaves rejecting everything put before them as Demon magic/lies and clinging even harder to their old lifestyles. How long those enclaves will last is anyone's guess, but they won't be able to do crap about fully-enhanced Imperials backed by hundreds of planetoids.

Comes to that, a very small number of Imperials controlling the Temple (+ planetary defenses), the orbital shipyards, one sublight battleship, assorted lesser craft and a loyal "local" army should be quite capable of doing EXTREMELY nasty things to such enclaves. If absolutely necessary, of course.

Given how well they have handled things up to this point, I wouldn't expect the kids (and their friends/advisors) to get a sudden case of the stupids. Far from it.
----------------------------------------------------

“I want my epitaph to be ‘Doggone If He Wasn’t Trying His Best’.”
“I want mine to be ‘We Buried What Pieces We Could Find’.”

Wondermark
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:23 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

munroburton wrote:A Temple Loyalist surrender probably followed. If the kids were smart, they rounded up the remaining Loyalist clergy and put them on top of the list for history classes. Even if they accomplished this fully, there might be zealous enclaves rejecting everything put before them as Demon magic/lies and clinging even harder to their old lifestyles. How long those enclaves will last is anyone's guess, but they won't be able to do crap about fully-enhanced Imperials backed by hundreds of planetoids.

The other thing is that the source of all knowledge (as far as the Church is concerned) would start to speak, ordering the Loyalists to lay down their arms. Once this happens you will probably get Loyalist against Loyalist, as sides get chosen as to whether or not to believe the Oracle. We never did find out is there was anything in the Church's belief system about a future messiah, who would come some day, and save all Pardahlans, if so, the Oracle at the Temple will now announce that the messiah has arrived.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by Rod   » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:35 pm

Rod
Lieutenant Commander

If there is ever going to be another book. I hope it takes off from when Sean gains access to the quarantine computer. I can't call it hacking, he had the authority to access it. He just had to find that authority to access it.
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:08 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Rod wrote:If there is ever going to be another book. I hope it takes off from when Sean gains access to the quarantine computer. I can't call it hacking, he had the authority to access it. He just had to find that authority to access it.

Wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. It has been 19 years since the last book was published, and David has so much stuff on his plate that he not permitted to die before he is 175 years old, just so he has time to finish it all.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by JeffEngel   » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:23 am

JeffEngel
Admiral

fallsfromtrees wrote:
Rod wrote:If there is ever going to be another book. I hope it takes off from when Sean gains access to the quarantine computer. I can't call it hacking, he had the authority to access it. He just had to find that authority to access it.

Wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. It has been 19 years since the last book was published, and David has so much stuff on his plate that he not permitted to die before he is 175 years old, just so he has time to finish it all.

"In the last centuries Pre Diaspora, prolong research was largely funded by the followers of a certain space opera author, determined that he live long enough to complete all existing series. 'We will not allow Snippet Withdrawal Syndrome to seize us forever! We will not let him go gently into that good night!'"
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:32 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

fallsfromtrees wrote:Wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. It has been 19 years since the last book was published, and David has so much stuff on his plate that he not permitted to die before he is 175 years old, just so he has time to finish it all.
JeffEngel wrote:"In the last centuries Pre Diaspora, prolong research was largely funded by the followers of a certain space opera author, determined that he live long enough to complete all existing series. 'We will not allow Snippet Withdrawal Syndrome to seize us forever! We will not let him go gently into that good night!'"

Right On Brother, Right On.
========================

Return to Dahak