Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Ancient Aliens

Aliens? Invading aliens? What will Earth do? Well...we may have a few more resources than we first thought. Come join a friendly discussion about David Weber's newest Tor series - "Out of the Dark."
Ancient Aliens
Post by Lord Skimper   » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:14 pm

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

Is Out of the Dark RFC's coming out as an Ancient Alien supporter?

Our good buddy of the Dark seems to be a watcher of some kind of Ancient Alien race that the others don't know about and seemingly don't have a hope in Heck of defeating. Could be a long ago sailed away watcher race who finally decided it was time to act and reveal himself. Text suggests he is upset he let it go so far and hints that this could have been prevented, yet without a ship to get into orbit one doesn't see how. Unless this means that there are other things that go bump in the night out there in the Cosmos, hidden away waiting watching?
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:09 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Lord Skimper wrote:Is Out of the Dark RFC's coming out as an Ancient Alien supporter?

Our good buddy of the Dark seems to be a watcher of some kind of Ancient Alien race that the others don't know about and seemingly don't have a hope in Heck of defeating. Could be a long ago sailed away watcher race who finally decided it was time to act and reveal himself. Text suggests he is upset he let it go so far and hints that this could have been prevented, yet without a ship to get into orbit one doesn't see how. Unless this means that there are other things that go bump in the night out there in the Cosmos, hidden away waiting watching?

I should probably know better, but I am going to respond to this. Where is there the slightly piece of textev that Dracula was an ET? To the contrary, there is mention of the time before he was converted to being a vampire. Is there some other ancient alien you are referring to?
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Re: Ancient Aliens
Post by Lord Skimper   » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:11 pm

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

fallsfromtrees wrote:
Lord Skimper wrote:Is Out of the Dark RFC's coming out as an Ancient Alien supporter?

I should probably know better, but I am going to respond to this. Where is there the slightly piece of textev that Dracula was an ET? To the contrary, there is mention of the time before he was converted to being a vampire. Is there some other ancient alien you are referring to?

You read "Out of the Dark" right? Just after or as our dark friend "saviour" is attacking the base the Commander is wondering if an Alien was left or sought refuge on Earth when they couldn't figure out how the Humans had broken into their base. Our guy that goes bump in the night who shows up about the time the first observation of Earth takes place...
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:45 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

fallsfromtrees wrote:I should probably know better, but I am going to respond to this. Where is there the slightly piece of textev that Dracula was an ET? To the contrary, there is mention of the time before he was converted to being a vampire. Is there some other ancient alien you are referring to?
Lord Skimper wrote:
You read "Out of the Dark" right? Just after or as our dark friend "saviour" is attacking the base the Commander is wondering if an Alien was left or sought refuge on Earth when they couldn't figure out how the Humans had broken into their base. Our guy that goes bump in the night who shows up about the time the first observation of Earth takes place...

Yes, I read the book - I even did so with my eyes open. Given that Vlad considers himself to be have been human before he became a non-breather, and that all of the other vampires in the book started out as human, the only evidence you have for the alien origin is the speculations of one of the invaders, who was unaware of the capabilities of the vampires - which had not been shown before by the humans - a state of affairs that I considered to have been adequately explained in the book.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:41 pm

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

Yep, it's a "very strange" alien who can convert humans into aliens like himself. :twisted:

fallsfromtrees wrote:
Yes, I read the book - I even did so with my eyes open. Given that Vlad considers himself to be have been human before he became a non-breather, and that all of the other vampires in the book started out as human, the only evidence you have for the alien origin is the speculations of one of the invaders, who was unaware of the capabilities of the vampires - which had not been shown before by the humans - a state of affairs that I considered to have been adequately explained in the book.
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]
Post by pushmar   » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:11 pm

pushmar
Lieutenant Commander

DrakBibliophile wrote:Yep, it's a "very strange" alien who can convert humans into aliens like himself. :twisted:

fallsfromtrees wrote:

Probably uses Nanotech.
Post by Tenshinai   » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:01 am

Tenshinai
Admiral

pushmar wrote:
Probably uses Nanotech.

Genetic engineering might be possible as well.
Post by Tail Twitcher   » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:03 am

Tail Twitcher
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

There are three places in the book I noticed, when I reread with a view to spotting them.

The alien speculation as posted.

The supposition at the end of the book there are two races living on earth and they need to learn to coexist.

The other, is that we don't know how Vlad became Dracula, only that nothing in the book suggests it was supernatural - especially of an evil nature. He can adapt to the light and a silver cross has no affect on a new vampire.

I also got that being made a vampire didn't make one evil, it merely allowed one to go down that path if desired. But that is something humans don't need help with.

So it is certainly open to question, and I definitely prefer the ancient alien premise to the alternatives.

I'm an aetheist and see plenty of evil I can attribute to human beings, without giving them an excuse and someone/thing else to blame. Of course as humans blame will always be transfered if it can.

Return to Out of the Dark