Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests

HFQ Official Snippet #17

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: HFQ Official Snippet #17
Post by Tonto Silerheels   » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:09 pm

Tonto Silerheels
Captain of the List

JimHaker wrote:

I believe by 'previous snippet' he is referring to 'tiny 2' in which something is about to go BOOM.

I suspect that you're mistaken. I think iranuke was referring to the time between HFQ Official Snippet #16 and HFQ Official Snippet #17. In HFQ Official Snippet #16 we have Kaillyt seeing something black, in appearance like a stick or driftwood, and moving upstream. In HFQ Official Snippet #17 we have a gloved hand rising feebly from the water. iranuke speaks of a sentry seeing something, and the time to swim back across the river. I think those two are the same.

In contrast you're referring to the time between HFQ Official Snippet #17 and the Teeny-Tiny HFQ Snippet #2.

~Tonto
Post by Captain Igloo   » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:25 pm

Captain Igloo
Captain (Junior Grade)

Kakai wrote:Thank you, RFC! Seems you had fun on the con and we got a long snippet, so everybody's happy. Thank you a lot!

So... no snorkels? Ah, damn, that's what I bet on. Well, at least all the rest is there... I keep on waiting for the BOOM.

But what will go boom? My bets are on blasting gelatine (aka Gelignite), a waterproof dynamite.
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:32 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Tonto Silerheels wrote:JimHaker wrote:

I believe by 'previous snippet' he is referring to 'tiny 2' in which something is about to go BOOM.

I suspect that you're mistaken. I think iranuke was referring to the time between HFQ Official Snippet #16 and HFQ Official Snippet #17. In HFQ Official Snippet #16 we have Kaillyt seeing something black, in appearance like a stick or driftwood, and moving upstream. In HFQ Official Snippet #17 we have a gloved hand rising feebly from the water. iranuke speaks of a sentry seeing something, and the time to swim back across the river. I think those two are the same.

In contrast you're referring to the time between HFQ Official Snippet #17 and the Teeny-Tiny HFQ Snippet #2.

~Tonto

No, the snorkel or whatever was close to the near bank (between boats 2 and 3), whereas the the gloved had is very close to the far bank on the other side of the river.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by gcomeau   » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:43 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

fallsfromtrees wrote:

~Tonto

No, the snorkel or whatever was close to the near bank (between boats 2 and 3), whereas the the gloved had is very close to the far bank on the other side of the river.

The gloved hand would belong to the owner of the snorkel who has now *returned* from his explosives laying mission near the enemy lines on the other side of the river where he was almost spotted by the sentry who saw his "upstream-floating-stick" for a moment.

The hand would be rising feebly because said owner is wiped out from having to cross all that way and back in freezing water.
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:56 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

~Tonto
fallsfromtrees wrote:No, the snorkel or whatever was close to the near bank (between boats 2 and 3), whereas the the gloved had is very close to the far bank on the other side of the river.
gcomeau wrote:
The gloved hand would belong to the owner of the snorkel who has now *returned* from his explosives laying mission near the enemy lines on the other side of the river where he was almost spotted by the sentry who saw his "upstream-floating-stick" for a moment.

The hand would be rising feebly because said owner is wiped out from having to cross all that way and back in freezing water.

This interpretation is probably correct, although snippet 17 doesn't say anything about a snorkel, but what the sentry in snippet 15 actually saw may have been the blackened out kayak moving into position. Still there would have been a period of time (15 minutes) between that sighting and Edwards making it back to the far shore to be pulled out by his commanding officer.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by JimHacker   » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:05 pm

JimHacker
Captain (Junior Grade)

~Tonto

I'm afraid you have misunderstood what I was saying.

Iranuke was addressing something lyonheart had said:
lyonheart wrote:It definitely looks like the the previous snippet follows this incident rather soon.

(my bold)
I believe Lyonheart was clearly predicting that snippet 'tiny 2' would soon come in sequence, withthe charges about to be detonated.

However, Iranuke then said:
iranuke wrote:I would say that the previous snippet before this one happened about 10 to 15 minutes BEFORE this snippet. The sentry saw "something" and from seeing the "something" to get back across the river is about 1/2 mile. The record for swimming a quarter mile is over 3 minutes. Whoever in the gear is not going to swim 1/2 mile in under about 15 minutes.

I believe he misunderstood lyonheart and thought that Lyonheart had been referring to snippet 16 rather than tiny 2, and that Lyonheart was somehow arguing that snippet 16 followed snippet 17 in chronology. Iranuke then demonstrated by referring to the events you, Tonto Silerheels, mentioned how what he mistakenly believed to have been Lyonheart's point could not be true.

I was trying to point this out, although without a clarification from lyonheart I guess we can't be sure what he actually meant.

Now everyone has gone off at a tangent.
-------------------------------
Happiness is not having what you want
Nor is happiness wanting what you have
Happiness is believing that tomorrow you shall have
what you want today

..//^ ^\\
(/(_•_)\)
.._/''*''\_
.(,,,)^(,,,)
Post by lyonheart   » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:05 pm

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi Jim Hacker,

First, you're correct as far I go, I thought I'd made the "out of order little snippet #2" explicit, so I apologise to those who were confused.

Fortunately, you were on the right wavelength to realise what I meant. :D

Even better you were able to communicate that clearly to others not so insightful. ;)

L

JimHacker wrote:

~Tonto

I'm afraid you have misunderstood what I was saying.

Iranuke was addressing something lyonheart had said:
lyonheart wrote:It definitely looks like the the previous snippet follows this incident rather soon.

(my bold)
I believe Lyonheart was clearly predicting that snippet 'tiny 2' would soon come in sequence, withthe charges about to be detonated.

However, Iranuke then said:
iranuke wrote:I would say that the previous snippet before this one happened about 10 to 15 minutes BEFORE this snippet. The sentry saw "something" and from seeing the "something" to get back across the river is about 1/2 mile. The record for swimming a quarter mile is over 3 minutes. Whoever in the gear is not going to swim 1/2 mile in under about 15 minutes.

I believe he misunderstood lyonheart and thought that Lyonheart had been referring to snippet 16 rather than tiny 2, and that Lyonheart was somehow arguing that snippet 16 followed snippet 17 in chronology. Iranuke then demonstrated by referring to the events you, Tonto Silerheels, mentioned how what he mistakenly believed to have been Lyonheart's point could not be true.

I was trying to point this out, although without a clarification from lyonheart I guess we can't be sure what he actually meant.

Now everyone has gone off at a tangent.
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by runsforcelery   » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:30 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

Duckk wrote:There was a convention in Ohio I didn't know about? Noooooooooooo!

My bad. The con was in Williamsburg, Va. Don't know how Ohio got in there, except that I spent quite a while talking to other guests who were from Ohio (which also happens to be the state in which I was born).

Sorry! :oops:

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by Duckk   » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:37 pm

Duckk
Site Admin

Oh, ok, I feel better now. :lol:
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Post by Keith_w   » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:40 pm

Keith_w
Commodore

fallsfromtrees wrote: quote="XofDallas" quote="fallsfromtrees" either this is a typo on David's part (unlikely in such close proximately, or it is a separate action, and this has nothing to do with snippet 2, or RFC has something even sneakier in mind. Choices anyone? /quote

I vote typo. The mini-snippet was published 10 months ago. I don't know how rfc keeps track of all the names anyway, let alone how he keeps the story consistent with the maps. /quote
You might be correct, although if it is a typo, the two snippets are within a couple of pages, and I would think even a brief read through of the manuscript would have reveled the discrepancy - but snippet 2 may have been published before the final read through.

I wouldn't bet on that. I was re-reading HFAF (I think) and there was a portion where Manthyr and the boys were in the Gulf of Dohlar (I think) and someone said, "Inform Manchyr about..." and I thought, why would they want to tell the capital of Corrisande? And then realized that the computer had mis-heard RFC and picked the wrong name to include, so it is possible. There's lots of stuff like that.
--
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Return to Safehold