Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 52 guests

Point of View: Wishes and Likes

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Point of View: Wishes and Likes
Post by cthia   » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:28 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Henke is now the default Queen of Manticore, and they want to impeach her.

We have not seen the POV of an heir apparent, at the infamous moment that all succeeding heirs before her are unceremoniously removed and she is shoved and bullied onto the throne. I'd like to witness the ensuing power struggles first hand... Michelle would have to secure a virgin power base...

'The balance of political power is threatened during an unforeseen, emotional, enemy instigated usurping of powers. The delicate political balances and processes that Elizabeth had so carefully woven during years of cultivation are unduly stretched and threaten to snap when political alliances are questioned and allegiances are lost.

It happens at the nexus of another two-pronged war - delivered unto the unwitting souls of Manticore by that smiling Demon Murphy, caught between two different entities who've just decided to up the ante on their game.

The MAlign, smelling blood, commits a precipitous act. News of an unprecedented design of attacking MAlign ships is spreading like wildfire. Bad press at such a suspiciously appointed time has shaken the very sanctity of peace deep within the marrow of the average Manticoran citizen in the street, causing widespread panic and fear.

But this time, the MAlign has seriously wounded the SLN with a devastating attack. Breakthroughs in artificial intelligence has convincingly simulated voice and video of Harrington and others, indubitably implicating Manticore in this horrendous loss of civilian lives. A total destruction of Solarian infrastructure, with orbital fallouts causing planetside catastrophies that make Oyster Bay look like a circus.

But it wasn't Detweiler's plan. It is the handiwork of a rogue element, a clone. Detweiler didn't count on the god-complex. He had bred one other - who thought his genius exceeded his own, a satan to Detweiler's own plans, a power-ridden megalomaniac who considers himself intellectually Supreme.

Everything is thrown at Michelle. The wolves come out of the woodworks. The SLN, stalwarts in the area of half-a-brain, decides to launch an all out attack of remaining mothballed ships. Every single ship in the fleet, thousands of ships.

Henke is on the ropes, her beloved Star Empire is in jeopardy.

Meanwhile, a chemical reaction is brewing between certain members of a nuclear reactive element - Jeremy X, Thandi Palane, Victor Cachat, Anton Zilwicki, The Ballroom, representatives of Erewhon, Sphinx, the Andermani and Beowulf, along with Nimitz, Samantha, Ariel and Sorrow Singer are all mysteriously assembled together on Torch under the prepossessed eye of Queen Berry - and they are not amused. They've got a well founded sniff of the MAlign Bolthole, a scorched earth policy and plans to Torch it.

Treecats everywhere have unusually adopted a meditative, lotus postion, with two pair receiving palms, crooning. As if it is an omen of what is to come.

The MAlign Bolthole is exposed for its one glaring weakness. To remain so successfully hidden in the dark for so many centuries required a sacrifice of an impractical life in a harsh uninhabitable region of space. As a result, no civilian targets live within. They are shipped in and out from another secured location. The Bolthole can now be attacked with relative impunity, without worry of collateral civilian deaths.

Except - Elizabeth and those next three successive heirs are held captive, and are therefore considered hostages, on Darius.

Thomas Theisman still dreams of peace, but this time he has his sights set on the entire galaxy at large, and he has delivered unto the Salamander his technologically brilliant golden girls of Shannon Foraker and Sonja Hemphill, bearing gifts in the form of their latest toys and a twinkle in their eye.

Harrington and a dream team are gathered together in Manticoran space planning yet another unprecedented defense of the Home System. The Salamander's eyes are brown flint and her heart has gone cold. The duped Solarian League has formally dispatched a pregnant juggernaut with the latest upgrades in her direction, hellbent on another misguided mission of revenge.

Peace be still...

Honor Harrington is about to unleash — a killing machine.

News of an impending MAlign attack reaches Michelle. And on top of it, Queen Henke learns that the four who died in order that she ascend the throne are still alive, but to save them she will seemingly have to sacrifice the unthinkable. She is teetering on the verge of losing a tough battle with certain elements of her own government and there's growing rumour and talks of an impending impeachment.

No, Henke decides instead, that her Star Empire is in peril.

BUT she is still reigning Queen right now. And Gloria Michelle Samantha Evelyn Henke, is about to show the entire galaxy at large the true meaning of ... it's in the blood.'

Last edited by cthia on Wed May 18, 2016 2:20 pm, edited 48 times in total.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by JeffEngel   » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:37 pm

JeffEngel
Admiral

GofyTomcat1 wrote:Wishes:
Shannon "Oops" Foraker, preferably if she is either around Honor or Sonja (and the latter in a serious relationship))

MORE HONOR!! A LOT MORE HONOR!! AS IN GIVE HER A COMMAND AGAIN HONOR!!

Treecats having their POV in a chapter or so!

Honor Stephanie-Alexander Harrington
Tom Theisman
Estelle Matsuko ( OBS and her views was SOOO GOOD!!!!)

Ya know... Treecats have straight-up abandoned the attempt to act just cute-and-cuddly and not too too smart. And they've got sign language now and a keen awareness of the implications of space warfare. The PRN's people's commissioners were handy as civilians to whom officers would explain things to convey exposition. They're not there anymore to play that role, but we've now got treecats who can ask and don't have to feign not being able to follow explanations, though their very different backgrounds may make for some catch-up relative to human readers for some concepts.

Chances are a lot of that happens offscreen - picture Samantha poking Hamish for strategy and tactics seminars any time he's free or needs someone to take his mind off whatever. But still, it could work on-screen too. It'd also be interesting to see just how much Samantha may have advanced treecats' sense of engineering hanging around with Harold Tschu, and being a memory singer, all of that could go right back to the treecats' mental internet. ("Kittipedia!")

I doubt that anyone is expecting treecat tac officers in the next few decades, but for any treecats looking to tap into that sort of information, there'd be a narrative point served in many cases too.
Post by roseandheather   » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:53 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

GofyTomcat1 wrote:Wishes:
Shannon "Oops" Foraker, preferably if she is either around Honor or Sonja (and the latter in a serious relationship))

MORE HONOR!! A LOT MORE HONOR!! AS IN GIVE HER A COMMAND AGAIN HONOR!!

Treecats having their POV in a chapter or so!

Honor Stephanie-Alexander Harrington
Tom Theisman
Estelle Matsuko ( OBS and her views was SOOO GOOD!!!!)

And this is why I adopted you.
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by roseandheather   » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:22 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

My POV wishlist for the next novel:

Eloise Pritchart
Thomas Theisman
Estelle Matsuko
Sonja Hemphill
Michelle Henke
Shannon Foraker
Abigail Hearns
Allen Higgins (preferably not having his heart broken again)
Michael Oversteegen
Lester Tourville

...gee. What a shock this must be to all of you.
~*~

Javier & Eloise
Post by cthia   » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:30 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

roseandheather wrote:My POV wishlist for the next novel:

Eloise Pritchart
Thomas Theisman
Estelle Matsuko
Sonja Hemphill
Michelle Henke
Shannon Foraker
Abigail Hearns
Michael Oversteegen
Lester Tourville

My heart goes out to you. For your obvious sadness at the fact that the only place left on the list to place Michael and Lester was at the bottom.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by roseandheather   » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:37 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

cthia wrote:

Eloise Pritchart
Thomas Theisman
Estelle Matsuko
Sonja Hemphill
Michelle Henke
Shannon Foraker
Abigail Hearns
Michael Oversteegen
Lester Tourville

My heart goes out to you. For your obvious sadness at the fact that the only place left on the list to place Michael and Lester was at the bottom.

It was highly depressing. Much crying is had. Oh woe is me, to be faced with a series in which I love so many characters. Whatever shall I do? :mrgreen:
~*~

Javier & Eloise
Post by cthia   » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:43 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:

Eloise Pritchart
Thomas Theisman
Estelle Matsuko
Sonja Hemphill
Michelle Henke
Shannon Foraker
Abigail Hearns
Michael Oversteegen
Lester Tourville

roseandheather wrote:It was highly depressing. Much crying is had. Oh woe is me, to be faced with a series in which I love so many characters. Whatever shall I do? :mrgreen:

Warm milk and cookies, a soothing fireplace and a nook on the sofa with a reread in hand works for me. :D

Post by cthia   » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:51 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I'd like to have The POV of Sonja when she's very young and precocious, perhaps on a broken ship, stranded in the dead of space on a luxury liner and her engineering and mechanical knowhow saves them. Or the very precocious but headstrong story of Shannon Foraker, simultaneously blowing up all of her father's treacherous enemies, in a never solved, national aircar disaster. Her virgin "OOPS."

When I consider Harkness, Zilwiki, Shannon and Sonja, I think of the McGyvers of the Honorverse.

Remembering the story of Zilwicki and Cachat stranded together on a dying ship held together by duct tape and gubble gum is intriguing.

I'd like the POV of them all, young, first realizing their rare talent for what it truly is and the profound circumstances which led them to know, for what they were born.

Post by cthia   » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:10 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

This is one to ponder.

I'd love the POV of Queen Henke's interaction with Honor. Or Honor's interaction with Queen Henke. There's an abrupt status change in the dynamics of the relationship. Honor goes from being Henke's Sr. Officer to Henke's subject in one fell swoop. I'd really like to have the dynamics in ink. It could be awkward(?). Would it be?

Certain circumstances could potentially make that rather awkward. I can think of a few right off hand.

Post by stewart   » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:47 am

stewart
Captain of the List

cthia wrote:This is one to ponder.

I'd love the POV of Queen Henke's interaction with Honor. Or Honor's interaction with Queen Henke. There's an abrupt status change in the dynamics of the relationship. Honor goes from being Henke's Sr. Officer to Henke's subject in one fell swoop. I'd really like to have the dynamics in ink. It could be awkward(?). Would it be?

Certain circumstances could potentially make that rather awkward. I can think of a few right off hand.

------------

I do not think it would be awkward for either other than circumstances that might put Michelle on the throne.
1) Michelle recognizes Honor as her superior in the tactical arena, and has noted it several times
2) Michelle and Honor have been best of friends for approx. 50 years
3) Honor has TREMENDOUS respect for the House of Winton

Result(1) -- Honor becomes Michelle's primary sword-arm with Hamish and Sir Thomas as primary military / strategic advisors.

Result(2) -- Stand By for a series of BOOMs wherever a MA / RF hideout is discovered.

-- Stewart

Return to Honorverse