Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests

Ranting about Microsoft and Tech Support in India

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Re: Ranting about Microsoft and Tech Support in India
Post by smr   » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:10 am

smr
Vice Admiral

Lovely a new problem caused by Microsoft.

I think the issue is Microsoft does not like me installing an ssd drive on Labor day weekend on my old laptop.

I called Microsoft a 9:33 pm and reached a agent. I explained that Microsoft said my product codes is not geniune. The agent said her name (I did not write it down!) I was waiting for her to come back with case number. Big mistake. Explain the problem and she put me on hold after 5 minutes the phone call terminated. Nice Microsoft. Called 3 more times and went straight on hold! It was getting close to 10 PM cut off time for technical support.

Update: Called after 10pm, I am currently in the cue!

Whenever a person calls Microsoft, please write down the Microsoft personal that the customer is talking to and write down the case number.
2(+) DVD-ROM drive with DIFFERENT country codes in same PC?
Post by Ensign Re-read   » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:08 pm

Ensign Re-read
Commodore

Hello again one and all.

I've not bothered to read all of the 20-ish some pages included in this topic.
From what I have read or perused, I have the impression that instead of asking one another for their help, most of the entries are ranting about how Microsoft did or did not do this or that.
(I'm familiar with the need to Rant; that was not a criticism.)

This entry however, is a request for your help, opinion(s) or suggestion(s) as to
EITHER
your opinion on my situation
OR
a request for your referral to which web site to go to for the help.

=====

A year-plus ago a local computer store had a going-out-of-business sale. That's where I picked up a lot of hardware to upgrade my kid's dual-head PC and to build our DVR box.

The DVR box started its life as a MythBuntu box. (i.e.: a variation of Ubuntu that has MythTV installed at it's main activity.) I eventually got fed up with dealing with the various problems, purchased MicroSoft Windows 8.1 Professional, and downloaded/activated the separate "Media Center" software.

So far, the Media Center software has not really been set up properly. (For example, I doubt that it is "aware" that I have two tuner cards with a total of three HDTV tuners.)

Even so, I have been able to do some "Tivo-ing", but I've not (yet) tried to play DVDs.

Part of my build was to include ONE single DVD-ROM drive:
It's an "LG" brand "Super Multi DVD Writer",
MODEL: GH24NS95, 2013 05 31, ROM VER.: RN01, S/N: 305HAUG3397**.

I have a need to be able to play DVDs that have are encoded with Country Code 1 (US/Canada) OR Country Code 2 (Europe, esp. Swedish).

When I (only just recently) tried to play a DVD for the first time, and it did not work. (The DVD happened to be Country Code 2.) I got into Windows 8's "Properties" tab for the DVD Drive, and noticed that it _SEEMS_ as if no country code has (yet) been selected.

---

I'm not entirely sure that I understand what and how I can do to fix this situation, so this next part is where I need a "Fact Check":

I'm sure that I do have to actually select a country code in the above mentioned Properties Tab in order for the drive to work.

I am aware that one can set and reset the Country Code in a DVD-ROM drive up to a total of FIVE times before one would have to send the drive back to the manufacturer to be reset.

I am also aware that there are firmware alternatives that could set the drive's code to "0" (or no country code).

While I'd like to do the firmware route, I have what seems like a simpler plan in mind.

I'd like to purchase a different, hopefully equivalently rated, DVD-ROM drive, install it just below the first one, and set each drive to its own Country Code (1 & 2).

Here's the catch:
One source that I read says that a given computer's DVD-ROM drives have to all be of the same type.
(No I can't find this source again.)
Another source however said that there should be no reason why I couldn't have the separate drives have their own separate Country Codes.

So, who's right?

---

Please don't be shy about answering the actual question (if you think you actually know the answer).

However, I'm also equally interested in hearing if any of you have an opinion as to what web site I should direct the question(s) to.

Tanks,
ERR

=====
The Celestia "addon" for the Planet Safehold as well as the Kau-zhi and Manticore A-B star systems, are at URL:
http://www.lepp.cornell.edu/~seb/celestia/weber/.
=====
http://www.flickr.com/photos/68506297@N ... 740128635/
=====
Re: 2(+) DVD-ROM drive with DIFFERENT country codes in same
Post by Spacekiwi   » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:14 pm

Spacekiwi
Admiral

You could do that, although depending on your os, there are easier ways of doing it. VLC supports all regions by default if you install it, is free, open source, and plays more files than windows media player, although it may not be able to defeat the firmware on your particular drive. There are also *nix specific players like xine, that you might try, or you could run WINE and run remote selector, or another program to remove the region coding, if you were to switch back to *nix or *buntu.
Googling doesnt seem to show anything about mulitple dvd regions in one pc, so im not sure. you could try setting them up individually on another pc and then install them, but im not too sure sorry.

If you do want VLC: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html . I cant recommend this enough, it is such a good program for removing stupid restrictions on file playings.

ps: if you have space, you could always use handbrake or similar to rip the raw files to your pc, then play them. that would remove the region lock from the files permanently, just not the disk.

hope that helps. :)

Ensign Re-read wrote:Hello again one and all.

A year-plus ago a local computer store had a going-out-of-business sale. That's where I picked up a lot of hardware to upgrade my kid's dual-head PC and to build our DVR box.

The DVR box started its life as a MythBuntu box. (i.e.: a variation of Ubuntu that has MythTV installed at it's main activity.) I eventually got fed up with dealing with the various problems, purchased MicroSoft Windows 8.1 Professional, and downloaded/activated the separate "Media Center" software.

So far, the Media Center software has not really been set up properly. (For example, I doubt that it is "aware" that I have two tuner cards with a total of three HDTV tuners.)

Even so, I have been able to do some "Tivo-ing", but I've not (yet) tried to play DVDs.

Part of my build was to include ONE single DVD-ROM drive:
It's an "LG" brand "Super Multi DVD Writer",
MODEL: GH24NS95, 2013 05 31, ROM VER.: RN01, S/N: 305HAUG3397**.

I have a need to be able to play DVDs that have are encoded with Country Code 1 (US/Canada) OR Country Code 2 (Europe, esp. Swedish).

When I (only just recently) tried to play a DVD for the first time, and it did not work. (The DVD happened to be Country Code 2.) I got into Windows 8's "Properties" tab for the DVD Drive, and noticed that it _SEEMS_ as if no country code has (yet) been selected.

---

I'm not entirely sure that I understand what and how I can do to fix this situation, so this next part is where I need a "Fact Check":

I'm sure that I do have to actually select a country code in the above mentioned Properties Tab in order for the drive to work.

I am aware that one can set and reset the Country Code in a DVD-ROM drive up to a total of FIVE times before one would have to send the drive back to the manufacturer to be reset.

I am also aware that there are firmware alternatives that could set the drive's code to "0" (or no country code).

While I'd like to do the firmware route, I have what seems like a simpler plan in mind.

I'd like to purchase a different, hopefully equivalently rated, DVD-ROM drive, install it just below the first one, and set each drive to its own Country Code (1 & 2).

Here's the catch:
One source that I read says that a given computer's DVD-ROM drives have to all be of the same type.
Another source however said that there should be no reason why I couldn't have the separate drives have their own separate Country Codes.

So, who's right?

---

Please don't be shy about answering the actual question (if you think you actually know the answer).

However, I'm also equally interested in hearing if any of you have an opinion as to what web site I should direct the question(s) to.

Tanks,
ERR

`

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
its not paranoia if its justified... :D
Post by smr   » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:14 am

smr
Vice Admiral

Once again Microsoft has wonderful customer service...I installed a new ssd card, a new graphics card, added 4 gigs of ram, and also I changed windows 7 from 32 bit to 64 bit! I get the error code that I am using illegal copy of windows. Microsoft...I have 3 volume license and was using only 2 of them! This time I video taped everything....yes I still a little sore at Microsoft. Now, I get to deal with customer service again. Oh, what joy to spend the day with Microsoft. Here this Microsoft, I taping the entire conversation from start to finish! Rant ended!

When upgrading Ram, buy the full amount of ram. For instance, my windows 7 premium can take up to 16 gbs of ram or 2 sticks of 8 gigs. It's much easier just to buy the ram for what the maximum amount that the motherboard and operating system can take. Spend the extra money now when buying the machine or upgrading on ram because a person just does not remember what type or what speed of ram the computer uses. (This is all depends on a person's budget!) One of my Christmas presents was 4 gigs of ddr3 ram for my desktop. All I can say is they bought the ram from Fry's...I had to pull the ram and ask for the duplicate of old ram! My computer would recognize the ram but I only had 3.98 gigs useable! I generally keep my machines 5 to 10 years! (Not so much on the last 2 machines...they both died way too early deaths!)

I have a couple of questions. When using an alternative operating system:

1. Does the os have a built in browser?

2. If the os comes with a browser, does it block adds from websites!

I have decided to use a different operating system due to problems with Microsoft!

UPDATE: A 20 minute phone support and windows 7 64 bit is activated. Wow! Now, I have to mess with my Ram problem. It now shows 6 gigs of ram installed instead of 8 gig of ram installed. I switched the ram positions and changed ungauge to gauge ram in the bios! Back to the grinder called computer upgrades.
Post by Tenshinai   » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:43 am

Tenshinai
Admiral

Ensign Re-read wrote:Here's the catch:

So, who's right?

Well it could be dependant on what OS is running.
But I KNOW that it´s possible to run multiple region coded DVDs on the same system, as i know people who have done it.
They have since however decided to pay up and get players that can play any region coded DVDs. (as both of them used 3 different DVD regions, and having 3 players was just too inconvenient)

pcper.com
hardocp.com
arstechnica.com
techreport.com
lostcircuits.com
anandtech.com

Be aware that this does not work on all drives. Some will work, others will just do a hardware based request that you must set region before you can use the drive again(and sometimes this can mess up the computer).

Aside from that, i think Spacekiwi got anything else.
Post by Spacekiwi   » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:09 pm

Spacekiwi
Admiral

If s/he (Re-read) use reddit, theres also all the pc sub-reddits that could help : /buildapc, /techsupport,
/hardware (regarding the actual hardware limitations), /windows, or /software. At lesat one probably has someone who could help.

Tenshinai wrote:
Ensign Re-read wrote:Here's the catch:

So, who's right?

Well it could be dependant on what OS is running.
But I KNOW that it´s possible to run multiple region coded DVDs on the same system, as i know people who have done it.
They have since however decided to pay up and get players that can play any region coded DVDs. (as both of them used 3 different DVD regions, and having 3 players was just too inconvenient)

pcper.com
hardocp.com
arstechnica.com
techreport.com
lostcircuits.com
anandtech.com

Be aware that this does not work on all drives. Some will work, others will just do a hardware based request that you must set region before you can use the drive again(and sometimes this can mess up the computer).

Aside from that, i think Spacekiwi got anything else.
`

its not paranoia if its justified... :D
Post by Imaginos1892   » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:52 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

smr wrote:I have a couple of questions. When using an alternative operating system:

1. Does the os have a built in browser?

2. If the os comes with a browser, does it block adds from websites!

Every version and distribution of Linux includes Firefox. Google Chrome includes Chrome. Haven't used Chrome much, but Firefox has more options, add-ons and extras available than you could use in a lifetime. Maybe 90% of everything is crap, but the remaining 10% should have everything you need. There are also about a dozen other free programs like Opera, SeaMonkey, Chromium, Konqueror, Epiphany, Dillo and Midori.

Linux surpassed MS-WIN-BLOWS a long time ago. I buy "bare-bones" computers and install Fedora Linux on them, except it's very very hard to find a notebook computer without MS-WIN-BLOWS on it. Those, I reformat the hard drive and install Linux.
-------------------
Oh, no. You can't-a fool me. There ain't-a no Sanity Clause!
Post by Ensign Re-read   » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:51 pm

Ensign Re-read
Commodore

Ensign Re-read wrote:Hello again one and all.

I've not bothered to read all of the 20-ish some pages included in this topic.
From what I have read or perused, I have the impression that instead of asking one another for their help, most of the entries are ranting about how Microsoft did or did not do this or that.
(I'm familiar with the need to Rant; that was not a criticism.)

This entry however, is a request for your help, opinion(s) or suggestion(s) as to
EITHER
your opinion on my situation
OR
a request for your referral to which web site to go to for the help.

=====

== CLIP ==

I've a noon appointment tomorrow at the local "Microsoft Store". I'll see then if they can fix the DVD-ROM {and Tuner} issues.

=====
The Celestia "addon" for the Planet Safehold as well as the Kau-zhi and Manticore A-B star systems, are at URL:
http://www.lepp.cornell.edu/~seb/celestia/weber/.
=====
http://www.flickr.com/photos/68506297@N ... 740128635/
=====
Post by smr   » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:16 am

smr
Vice Admiral

My power supply died on my old computer. As a result, I bought a new motherboard and processor. I restored a backup to the computer. Next, I called Microsoft and got a tech support gentleman based in India. He kept arguing with me about I needed to purchase a new product key. He got all excited about selling me a new product key...in the end I just hung up. Last, I tried activating the product code and too my surprise the Microsoft server accepted the code. I think it just used the old code from when I restored the operating system Win 7.

For the tech gurus, I recommend using Antec modular power supply. That makes a huge difference within the computer because all my wires are used and tied off.

16 gigs of ram
4.2 ghz 8 core Amd
1 gig video card (I am buying a new video card next month)
256 gig SSD
MSI motherboard

I do not overclock the computer because I do not have enough technical knowledge!
Post by Relax   » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:10 am

Relax
Fleet Admiral

Over the years I have seen 0 difference in power supplies for durability. Differences in brief power outings. Differences in efficiency, but not longevity. Their caps all die. Heck just yesterday pulled a 5HP motor off an air-compressor because the caps were corroded and one was blown while the other brushed up nicely. At least caps on motors are VERY simple to replace. Harder on a multilayer circuit board. Gotta cut em off high and solder new on. If you wish to keep using your PC power supplies figure out which capacitor is bad and replace. It will keep running just fine. Till the next cap goes bad of course. :evil:

Buying a modular power supply is just a way to suck more money out of the consumers pockets. If you are so out of brain power that one cannot figure out how to tie up unused power connectors... :? :o :shock:
_________
Tally Ho!
Relax

Return to Free-Range Topics...