Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Heirs of Empire - Why did Cruz do it?

Fans of Colin Maclntyre and the great starship Dahak should take a minute to stop in here for discussions about one of David's best-loved series.
Heirs of Empire - Why did Cruz do it?
Post by Garth 2   » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:56 am

Garth 2
Captain of the List

So re-reading Heirs of Empire at the moment, and hit the bit where Cruz family is kidnapped etc. now we know what he was asked to do, but I'm wondering why he did it.

After all -
* apparently at no point was proof of life shown
* Given his security level, if he'd ask to see his boss, they could have easily got to the Director of ONI
* Imperial Terra construction could have easily been delayed due to "unspecified improvements" whilst ONI launched an internal investigation

And anyone in this situation would have to assume that your families already died (especially without proof of life) and getting revenge would be the only option left.
Re: Heirs of Empire - Why did Cruz do it?
Post by Bahzellstudent   » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:02 am

Bahzellstudent
Lieutenant Commander

I guess that is artistic licence! We all like to think we would do the rational think when faced with that sort of personal challenge - but I suspect for at least some of us, emotion would kick in and we'd do anything even for the hope of rescue for our children/spouse etc
Post by tazy   » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:51 am

tazy
Midshipman

The only thing that comes to mind is Larry Niven's Ringworld, although I don't know if that counts as a "ship." even though is is an artificial construct....!!!
tZy
Post by Garth 2   » Sun May 24, 2015 5:19 am

Garth 2
Captain of the List

Bahzellstudent wrote:I guess that is artistic licence! We all like to think we would do the rational think when faced with that sort of personal challenge - but I suspect for at least some of us, emotion would kick in and we'd do anything even for the hope of rescue for our children/spouse etc

Oh, I get that but:
The synopsis of the investigation clearly shows he never; -> visited Earth whilst his wife and kids where there (not even for a weekend)
-> had contact with them
-> made no transactions on the fleet credit card
-> whole load of personality traits changed
-> and amazingly no-one wondered within his department if he was alright

Return to Dahak