Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 50 guests

Genkis latest Honorverse cover

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Genkis latest Honorverse cover
Post by pokermind   » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:36 am

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

Genkis latest Honorverse cover Ashes of Victory the thumbnail:

Link to art: http://genkkis.deviantart.com/art/Honor-Harrington-Ashes-of-Victory-494290758

Genkis wrote:
This is the cover of the Honor Harrington's novel "Ashes of Victory" written by David Weber and his friends, by courtesy of L'atalante Publishing.

Release : Available
Official website of L'atalante publishing : http://www.l-atalante.com/

See you soon for several new illustrations :)

Enjoy Genkis lovers more to come :)

Poker
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Re: Genkis latest Honorverse cover
Post by Hutch   » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:29 pm

Hutch
Vice Admiral

Excellent as always.

The scene (per Bing translator) is Sir Thomas Caparelli looking down into the "Pit" as he plans grand stragety for the Manticore Alliance.

Pity he couldn't have drawn Pat Givens standing next to him....
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by dreamrider   » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:52 am

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

Hutch wrote:Excellent as always.

The scene (per Bing translator) is Sir Thomas Caparelli looking down into the "Pit" as he plans grand stragety for the Manticore Alliance.

I don't believe that Pat Givens was present for that scene in the text.

dr
Post by Hutch   » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:47 am

Hutch
Vice Admiral

dreamrider wrote:

dr

You made me curious, so I went back and founds this--not conclusive, but at least my wish had a foundation.

And along the way, a few traditions had developed. One of which was that every Tuesday and Thursday, at precisely ten hundred hours, Sir Thomas Caparelli would just happen to walk into the Pit while Patricia Givens just happened to be there. They'd been doing it every week for years now, yet it never showed up on the official agendas their yeomen and flag secretaries meticulously maintained. Not because there was any reason they shouldn't put their heads together, and certainly not because they thought anyone would fail to notice they were doing it. It was simply one of those things that had grown up so naturally that neither had felt any need to make it official.
"Morning, Pat," Caparelli said quietly as Hodgkins returned to his duties and Givens took his place.

"Good morning, Sir."

She waved one hand in a small, inviting gesture towards the master tank, and Caparelli walked to the console reserved for his use whenever he visited the Pit. He seated himself, and Givens stood by his right shoulder. She had her own console, a few meters from his, but she seldom used it during their regular "unscheduled" meetings, and she folded her hands behind her while she watched him tap keys and study the results.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by Lord Skimper   » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:25 pm

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

You would think people would get tired standing around. I always read that they are almost always sitting down at a station.
Post by Genkis   » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:50 pm

Genkis
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Hello everybody :)

well, absolutely, I thought that people would be tired and would be sitting down at a station. That's why, if you look carefuly, you can see people sitting down at their stations ;)
But, for the dynamism of the illustration, it was cool to show (also) a kind of strategic meeting with people stand up around an holographic table. :)
Post by Hutch   » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:50 am

Hutch
Vice Admiral

Genkis wrote:Hello everybody :)

well, absolutely, I thought that people would be tired and would be sitting down at a station. That's why, if you look carefuly, you can see people sitting down at their stations ;)
But, for the dynamism of the illustration, it was cool to show (also) a kind of strategic meeting with people stand up around an holographic table. :)

Thanks for looking in at our thread, Genkis.

If I may ask, what is the next Honor Harrington cover you will be doing? (If we must wait for another year for the next book, I can at least look forward to your next cover).

Post by Genkis   » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:25 am

Genkis

My pleasure, and thanks to you for following my work ;)
I always love listening (reading in this situation ;) ) the opinion/advices of the people who look at my artworks. It helps me to do something better.

Well, yesterday I released the cover of "A short victorious war". You can see it on my deviant art gallery or on facebook.

http://genkkis.deviantart.com/art/Honor ... -495269794

https://www.facebook.com/genkkis?fref=nf&pnref=story

I will show the new cover for "The honor of the Queen" in one week. And today, I'm working on the cover for the companion. But I won't be able to show it before a long moment :)
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:39 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

dreamrider wrote:

dr

Since when has conformance to the text ever bothered an artist in the throes of creativity when doing a book cover?
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by Genkis   » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:53 am

Genkis

[/quote]
Since when has conformance to the text ever bothered an artist in the throes of creativity when doing a book cover?[/quote]

When you create a cover you have several possibilities
- You can illustrate one specific scene
- try to (re)create the atmosphere of the novel (only if the illustrator read it, lots of us don't read books before they illustrate it because they don't have enough time,)
- or make something completly free in order o make something cool even if it doesn't represent the story(many covers are done this way)

I choose to make a mix between the two first option. I always read the book (except 2 or 3 novels when the deadline was too close). So I take an important scene, or two, I make a mix between them. And I try to show the atmosphere of the book. I won't draw a kiss between two characters if it's a story about an epic battle for example ;)
Then I have to be careful about technical aspects. In France our books about the Honorverse are smaller than yours. So I can't draw too many things. Because it won't be easy to "read" when you'll see the book cover in a book store. And it have to be efficient so...
Sometimes, I have to give up representating everything. In this particular case I wanted to draw the admiral with Sir caparelli. But it was too heavy. So I had to delete her in order to draw Sir Caparelli bigger...

Most of the time there are more things in my sketches than the final result... Sadly. I can't draw everything. That would be easier if it was a comic book. I wouldn't have to select what I can show. I would draw everything :D

Return to Honorverse