Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Planetary system is stable?

Fans of Colin Maclntyre and the great starship Dahak should take a minute to stop in here for discussions about one of David's best-loved series.
Planetary system is stable?
Post by Zakharra   » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:59 pm

Zakharra
Captain of the List

I have the Dakak series of books and one thing has bothered me. With starships the size of small planets, why wasn't the capital system of Bitra(?) messed up? If I remember right when Collin and Dahak arrived, the system had hundreds to thousands of planetoid sized vessels floating around. Shouldn't that many planetoids have messed up the orbits of the planets in the system already? That's a LOT of mass floating around that would have a gravitational effect, and I'd think that would have disjointed the orbits of more than a few worlds.
Re: Planetary system is stable?
Post by crewdude48   » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:55 am

crewdude48
Commodore

Yes, but this is a system that designed the drive systems for warships the size of small planets. I am sure that they could have easily corrected any planetary orbital irregularities whenever they cropped up.

Zakharra wrote:I have the Dakak series of books and one thing has bothered me. With starships the size of small planets, why wasn't the capital system of Bitra(?) messed up? If I remember right when Collin and Dahak arrived, the system had hundreds to thousands of planetoid sized vessels floating around. Shouldn't that many planetoids have messed up the orbits of the planets in the system already? That's a LOT of mass floating around that would have a gravitational effect, and I'd think that would have disjointed the orbits of more than a few worlds.
Post by Rod   » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:30 pm

Rod
Lieutenant Commander

If I remember correctly, there were only about a 78 planetoid sized vessels. And I had assumed that they were in parking orbits outside of traffic patterns. (38 light minutes from Bia) And that would place them out 424 million miles. And that's out around Jupiter's orbit. And again if you were going for Parking orbits, you'd put them in a orbit that's on the other side of what planet is in that orbit. And a Parking orbit would be one to not cause problems.

Edit,
These are Earth based numbers not Bia's
Re: Planetary system is stable?
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:52 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

Rod wrote:If I remember correctly, there were only about a 78 planetoid sized vessels. And I had assumed that they were in parking orbits outside of traffic patterns. (38 light minutes from Bia) And that would place them out 424 million miles. And that's out around Jupiter's orbit. And again if you were going for Parking orbits, you'd put them in a orbit that's on the other side of what planet is in that orbit. And a Parking orbit would be one to not cause problems.

Edit,
These are Earth based numbers not Bia's

The mass of the planetoid ships is about the mass of the moon (self evident, since Dahak is the moon). The mass of the moon is 1/81 the mass of earth. so a total of 78 of them is going to be about the mass of earth. The mass of earth is about 1/318 the mass of Jupiter. Parking it in one of the Lagrange points (L4 or L5) should keep the system stable for 50,000 years or so, depending on the number of other gas giants in the system.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln

Return to Dahak