Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests

Shard could have brought back better aircraft

Alternate history buff? Wander on over for a discussion about Eric Flint's 1632 series!
Shard could have brought back better aircraft
Post by Senior Chief   » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:33 am

Senior Chief
Commander

It is really to bad that some modern aircraft did not happen to be transiting the airspace directly above Grantsville when the shard displaced the town. Imagine a National Guard attack helicopter being taken for a ride back in time.

shades of a scifi tv program where a sherman tank and its crew happen to be in near Custer's Last Stand.
Re: Shard could have brought back better aircraft
Post by HB of CJ   » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:57 am

HB of CJ
Captain of the List

Odds are it would have been a very large commercial aircraft or perhaps one of those twin prop jet puddle jumper 33 passenger airliners. Where would it land?

Does Grantville have an airport? They say the Boeing 737 was designed to land on a grass field but can one imagine the pucker factor? What if it were a jet fighter?

The pilot would just have to punch out. Even if an attack helicopter was "trapped" it probably would not have been armed. Then how does one maintain it?

Interesting question indeed. You have my vote...I think the series might have been just a little bit more believable if more modern infrastructure had survived.

HB of CJ (old coot) Cm. I love this Forum
Post by Weird Harold   » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:47 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Senior Chief wrote:It is really to bad that some modern aircraft did not happen to be transiting the airspace directly above Grantsville when the shard displaced the town.

There is a grid of who and what was transported in the ring of fire. Despite the persistent wishes for more technology on the part of would-be authors, what is available has been firmly established for a good many years.

The Grid can be found at 1632.0rg IIRC.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Weird Harold   » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:58 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

HB of CJ wrote:Does Grantville have an airport?

Not that was included in the Ring Of Fire. There is a lot of textev devoted to the establishment and construction of the airfield in Grantville that would have been redundant if there were an existing airport.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Howard T. Map-addict   » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:59 pm

Howard T. Map-addict
Rear Admiral

Eric Flint did not want the Grantvillers to be too strong.

HTM

Senior Chief wrote:It is really to bad that some modern aircraft did not happen to be transiting the airspace directly above Grantsville when the shard displaced the town. Imagine a National Guard attack helicopter being taken for a ride back in time.

shades of a scifi tv program where a sherman tank and its crew happen to be in near Custer's Last Stand.
Post by sanimirza   » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:46 am

sanimirza
Midshipman

Hi, all

The initial interest in doing a TV series based on the 1632 series that I reported here last year never came to fruition. That's why I haven't followed up on the steps I laid out here at the time.
Recently, however, a new party has approached me on the subject. Two parties, in fact, although I think one of them probably doesn't have the resources to really be able to do it. The other party, though, is a well-established TV production company that has already produced over half a dozen successful TV series or mini-series. It's still too soon to tell if a deal will be made, but it looks promising.
sani
Post by Greentea   » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:45 am

Greentea
Commander

Mammoth Studios officially renewed their rights to produce a TV show last month. They have a strong production history. A deal has been made with ITV for world-wide distribution, a screenwriter has already been hired and the script for the first episode has been written. Most of the discussion about this is over on the Baen's Bar forum.

sanimirza wrote:Hi, all

The initial interest in doing a TV series based on the 1632 series that I reported here last year never came to fruition. That's why I haven't followed up on the steps I laid out here at the time.
Recently, however, a new party has approached me on the subject. Two parties, in fact, although I think one of them probably doesn't have the resources to really be able to do it. The other party, though, is a well-established TV production company that has already produced over half a dozen successful TV series or mini-series. It's still too soon to tell if a deal will be made, but it looks promising.
Cup of tea? Yes, please.

Return to Assiti Shards