Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests

Multiverse Book #3

"Hell's Gate" and "Hell Hath No Fury", by David, Linda Evans, and Joelle Presby, take the clash of science and magic to a whole new dimension...join us in a friendly discussion of this engrossing series!
Re: Multiverse Book #3
Post by goglen   » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:16 am

goglen
Ensign

PeterZ wrote:No argument. The Sharonans will be fighting to build their needed infrastructure as far forward as possible. Once they return to Hell's Gate, the Sharonans have to build their navy. Going beyond requires controlling the swamp/lakes/seas between those two gates.

I'm probably the only one, hoping it would end with #3; I prefer to read entire storylines serially (no cliffhangers) and was very frustrated.

That said, I predict no Navy needed - remember, they (forgot which, been so long... non-magic ones, aka "victims" (as I see it)) have been experimenting with internal combustion engines and even airplanes were referenced.

I predict dragons vs F-22 Raptors. Or at least Wright Flyer IIs?
Post by PeterZ   » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:08 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

More like Sopwith Camels or Fokker Dreideckers armed with machine guns. Dragons will fly and dive faster but those planes will be turn more tightly and likely climb faster. Arming those planes with a serious heavy Maxine gun would be sweet! Granted the Sharonan planes need more power than the originals.

As for going beyond HG without a navy, where to the planes land as they search for the next gate? The need a navy to protect their supply lines that have to pass that watery terrain.
Post by Howard T. Map-addict   » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:47 pm

Howard T. Map-addict
Rear Admiral

Dragons will have a lower Stalling Speed.
They might even be able to hover!
Therefore dragons can dodge better than airplanes can,
and can probably turn tighter too.

Lightning-bolt range probably exceeds machine-gun range.
Fireballs aimed level will probably be affected by
gravity, more than machine-gun bullets, and then a bullet
that hit a fireball might make it explode right there.
So the Black Lightning dragons are air-superiority
fighters, while the Reds (and Yellows) are not.

The next question will be whether beasts or machines fly
faster. I daresay that any biplane will be slower than
any dragon. Monoplanes might match their speed.

Seems to me that landing fields will need soldiers, not
ships, to protect them, at least until aircraft carriers.
In turn, the fields can be taken and leveled by
paratroopers.

HTM

PeterZ wrote:More like Sopwith Camels or Fokker Dreideckers armed with machine guns. Dragons will fly and dive faster but those planes will be turn more tightly and likely climb faster. Arming those planes with a serious heavy Maxine gun would be sweet! Granted the Sharonan planes need more power than the originals.

As for going beyond HG without a navy, where to the planes land as they search for the next gate? The need a navy to protect their supply lines that have to pass that watery terrain.
Post by PeterZ   » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:45 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Howard T. Map-addict wrote:Dragons will have a lower Stalling Speed.
They might even be able to hover!
Therefore dragons can dodge better than airplanes can,
and can probably turn tighter too.

Lightning-bolt range probably exceeds machine-gun range.
Fireballs aimed level will probably be affected by
gravity, more than machine-gun bullets, and then a bullet
that hit a fireball might make it explode right there.
So the Black Lightning dragons are air-superiority
fighters, while the Reds (and Yellows) are not.

The next question will be whether beasts or machines fly
faster. I daresay that any biplane will be slower than
any dragon. Monoplanes might match their speed.

Seems to me that landing fields will need soldiers, not
ships, to protect them, at least until aircraft carriers.
In turn, the fields can be taken and leveled by
paratroopers.

HTM

Agreed on sustained air speed. I don't agree with the stall speed. As large as dragons are they will have higher stall speeds in their standard flying posture. The difference will be they can reconfigure their wing shape and reorient themselves more easily to better recover from a stall.

Ranges depend on the machine gun. Wooden bullets as was initially used in some of those WWI planes, would easily be outranged by lightning bolts. A heavy 50 cal spitzer could outrange lightning with sufficient propellent. The trick is installing a powerful enough engine into the plane.

Engine size will determine how quickly the plane accelerates. Even with a lower top speed, I can see some of these early planes outclimbing a dragon initially. During longer climbs I can see dragons catching up. That brings up the biggest advantage for dragons, endurance. Dragons will be able to sustain combat for longer periods. Once the plane runs out of bullets, its done.
Post by JoellePresby   » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:05 pm

JoellePresby
Coauthor

THE ROAD TO HELL (MV3), 21 August 2014 UPDATE

For those looking for updates, David posted this time. :D

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6132

To add on to what David had to say, here are my take-aways from our revision meetings:
(1) The book is coming along very, very well.
(2) It is fantastic working with David.
(3) Sharon Rice-Weber is delightful. She's doing a "High Tea with the Duchess" at HonorCon 2014. I hope my schedule allows me to drop in. If you've met Sharon before, you know you want to go. And if you've never met Sharon, you are missing out.
Post by grendel_one   » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:36 pm

grendel_one
Captain (Junior Grade)

JoellePresby wrote:THE ROAD TO HELL (MV3), 21 August 2014 UPDATE

Thanks for the update, looking forward to it (but 2 years? sheesh . . .)
Post by Zakharra   » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:04 pm

Zakharra
Captain of the List

grendel_one wrote:
JoellePresby wrote:THE ROAD TO HELL (MV3), 21 August 2014 UPDATE

Thanks for the update, looking forward to it (but 2 years? sheesh . . .)

well he is busy with writing several other books in several other series....
Post by grendel_one   » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:24 pm

grendel_one
Captain (Junior Grade)

Zakharra wrote:
grendel_one wrote:Thanks for the update, looking forward to it (but 2 years? sheesh . . .)

well he is busy with writing several other books in several other series....

It's not that, the book is due to be turned in 'shortly' (besides he isn't even writing it).

But after they turn it in, it's another 18 months to get published

Clothing stores can get new fashions from the designer to the floor in 2 weeks, it's time for publishing to move out of the stone age.
Post by drothgery   » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:52 pm

drothgery
Admiral

grendel_one wrote:It's not that, the book is due to be turned in 'shortly' (besides he isn't even writing it).

It seems like a large part of the delay is that Baen wants to re-release the first two books to reintroduce the series, since it's been 7 years since HHNF came out. Which isn't unreasonable (especially if there's a decent chance RFC and Joelle could have book 4 ready by then so a new reader could get through the series pretty quickly).
Post by runsforcelery   » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:45 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

grendel_one wrote:
grendel_one wrote:Thanks for the update, looking forward to it (but 2 years? sheesh . . .)

Zakharra wrote: well he is busy with writing several other books in several other series....

It's not that, the book is due to be turned in 'shortly' (besides he isn't even writing it).

Clothing stores can get new fashions from the designer to the floor in 2 weeks, it's time for publishing to move out of the stone age.

Actually, my writing schedule is a part of the process, since I am, indeed, writing somewhere around half of it myself and editing the entire manuscript as well as spending time in conferences with Joelle on both #3 and #4. As Drothgery points out, however, the delay has little to do at this point with my writing speed and/or "stone age" production (in fact, Baen can turn a book around in less than 4 months in an emergency, although the probability of typos increases significantly on such a rush basis). Other publishers take a year or more, with a "crash" production best time of about 6 months.

The real reason for the delay is that after six or seven years, Baen feels (and I agree) that they need to re-release the two existing books (in trade paperback this time) to reenergize the series. So it's more a question of fitting the two existing books into the release schedule than it is anything to do with the production schedule on this book, per se. And Joelle and I are hopeful that the extra lead time will, indeed, allow us to get #4 written and ready to go by the time #3 releases. If we can, the entire series will be out for new readers in the space of about 18 months to two years, which is pretty darned good, when you think about it.

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.

Return to Multiverse