Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Apostrophe S . . .

In the breaks in his writing schedule, David has promised to stop by and chat for a while!
Apostrophe S . . .
Post by Gladtobemom   » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:52 am

Gladtobemom
Ensign

A quote from Treecat Wars: “Ever since the x-a’s arrived, Dad’s whole team’s been incredibly focused. It’s not that I don’t like anthropology, but there are times I seriously need a break.”

I'm assuming, since Treecat Wars will become an Accelerated reader like the first two books.

This, however, refers to the usage of x-a's instead of simply x-as or "x-a group" etc.

I understand that the language is flexible and I understand that this book is already "out" there. I am very surprised this got past an editor, though.

:? I'd like for Mr. Weber to consider whether he wants to continue using this particular grammar mistake.
----------------------
As a side note, both my kids (Zoe 12 and David 13) have now read the book. Zoe cried. Both liked it.
Gladtobemom
Re: Apostrophe S . . .
Post by JohnRoth   » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:08 am

JohnRoth
Admiral

Gladtobemom wrote:A quote from Treecat Wars: “Ever since the x-a’s arrived, Dad’s whole team’s been incredibly focused. It’s not that I don’t like anthropology, but there are times I seriously need a break.”

I'm assuming, since Treecat Wars will become an Accelerated reader like the first two books.

This, however, refers to the usage of x-a's instead of simply x-as or "x-a group" etc.

I understand that the language is flexible and I understand that this book is already "out" there. I am very surprised this got past an editor, though.

:? I'd like for Mr. Weber to consider whether he wants to continue using this particular grammar mistake.

This is not an error. Merriam-Webster's Concise Dictionary of English Usage (2002) says on page 79 under Apostrophe(3), and I quote (emphasis is mine):

Merriam-Webster wrote:The apostrophe is sometimes used with -s to form the plural of letters, numerals, abbreviations, symbols and words used as words.

"x-a" as used is an abbreviation for "xeno-anthropologist." Whether it's properly pluralized with an apostrophe is the author's option and a matter of Baen's house style; either way is correct.

There is a great deal of grammar misinformation floating around; I find it useful to check with a real authority rather than a grammar maven who simply plays one on the internet when I've got a question of whether something is or is not correct.
Re: Apostrophe S . . .
Post by Bolo's Honor   » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:29 pm

Bolo's Honor
Midshipman

Here, here!

In fact, I find it annoying when the 's construct is not used in such cases. In the "real world", this is all too common with acronyms. A particular case in point would be a discussion of the Secret Service organization of several different countries:
The SS's of Germany, France, and Russia...

as opposed to
The SSs of Germany, France, and Russia...

Over time, as acronyms become accepted words, this construct also changes, though. LASER (Light Amplified by Stimulated Emission of Radiation) is no longer an acronym, but the ordinary word "laser". As an acronym, though, one would not write of multiple LASERs; it would be multiple LASER's. Now, of course, it is simply multiple lasers.
Languages Do Evolve ....
Post by HB of CJ   » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:21 am

HB of CJ
Captain of the List

Ever do a Shakespear play? That language type is so cool and only, what; 400 years old? So colorful, so rich. We certainly do not speak or spell like that today. Maybe we should.

English is certainly changing. Also, for what it is not worth, I for one do not really care if the current written version is perfect. As long as I can read it, I am happy. Yikes!

HB of CJ (old coot) uneducated colonial guy from South West Oregon, USA.

Return to David's Dimension