Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Dahak the massive

Fans of Colin Maclntyre and the great starship Dahak should take a minute to stop in here for discussions about one of David's best-loved series.
Re: Dahak the massive
Post by namelessfly   » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:25 pm

namelessfly

Howard T. Map-addict wrote:The Ringworld is not a ship,
it is a fixed-position artifact,
but remember that the Puppeteers were migration
on five moving planets!

HTM

Bohica wrote:The only thing that comes to mind is Larry Niven's Ringworld, although I don't know if that counts as a "ship." even though is is an artificial construct.

Read "Ringworlds Children". The Protectors reverse engineer the hyperdrive by gutting the puppeteer ship and transform the superconductor grid in the Ringworld into a hyperdrive, thus turning a fixed artifact into an FTL ship.
Post by pertm   » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:00 am

pertm
Midshipman

There is a ship that is the size of Jupiter. It has a planet inside the size of Mars but heavier. Robert Reeds have used it in Marrow and several shorter stories.
Post by Spacekiwi   » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:41 am

Spacekiwi
Admiral

pertm wrote:There is a ship that is the size of Jupiter. It has a planet inside the size of Mars but heavier. Robert Reeds have used it in Marrow and several shorter stories.

Welcome to the forums pertm, and welcome to the land of the posters. I hope its not too deep and scary here in the shark pool? have fun, and if you arent starting an arguement a day, somethings wrong with the rest of us..... :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
its not paranoia if its justified....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
`

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
its not paranoia if its justified... :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by White Tallon   » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:01 am

White Tallon
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

I'm surprised no one here mentioned a true planet that has his own mind and ability to move across the galaxy at will...

Green Lantern Mogo

No offense to our beloved Dahak, but Mogo would eat him for breakfast.
-

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
Eleanor Roosevelt, 'This Is My Story,' 1937
Post by Gallowglass3000   » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:45 pm

Gallowglass3000
Ensign

The Goda War. The Goda are planet sized weapons systems that for millennia has kept the peace in the galaxy.
Post by niethil   » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:45 pm

niethil
Commander

My home-planet is travelling through space at a respectable speed, propelled by a gravitational engine. And it's canon that it can tractor Dahak !

Does that count ?
-------------
'Oh, oh' he said in English. Evidently, he had completely mastered that language.
Post by fossten   » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:05 pm

fossten
Ensign

Yes I agree that the Lensman series achieves the largest scale of fighting - remember that in Children of the Lens they used Nth-space planets as projectiles to wipe out the planet Ploor and her SUN!
Post by DJMacdonald   » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:24 pm

DJMacdonald
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

fossten wrote:Yes I agree that the Lensman series achieves the largest scale of fighting - remember that in Children of the Lens they used Nth-space planets as projectiles to wipe out the planet Ploor and her SUN!

Doc Smith's Skylark series ends with suns being used as weapons -- taken from one galaxy and moved into another in diametrically opposed orbits. Children of the Lens used N-Space planets to destroy one planet... Skylark DuQuense nearly used up a galaxy's worth of stars to destroy the Chlorian's galaxy.
-- Duncan
Post by DDHv   » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:54 pm

DDHv
Captain of the List

Didn't the expedition to Ringworld stop off at the Puppeteer planets?

I remember seeing a snippet of one involving humans working for the puppeteers and taking control of one farm planet/ship to head back toward the galaxy center. The puppeteers "led them from behind" without letting them know they were the explorers for them. Never had more time for this one.
Douglas Hvistendahl
Retired technical nerd

Dumb mistakes are very irritating.
Smart mistakes go on forever
Unless you test your assumptions!
Post by erylflynn   » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:42 am

erylflynn
Midshipman

Surprised no one mentioned the Bowl of Heaven, Larry Niven. A ship that is propelled by the gravity of a star.

Return to Dahak