Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 38 guests

Rivka Rebecca? Really?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Rivka Rebecca? Really?
Post by Norm.bone   » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:15 pm

Norm.bone
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

drothgery wrote:There's another Dave around the corner from me.

In our college marching band, there were 8 Daves in the low brass section, 5 of us in one rank.

Nicknames were critical, not just popular, in Rank Dave.
Post by Hutch   » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:02 pm

Hutch
Vice Admiral

Norm.bone wrote:
drothgery wrote:There's another Dave around the corner from me.

In our college marching band, there were 8 Daves in the low brass section, 5 of us in one rank.

Another Dave here (just another cog in the Dread and Secret Order of Dave.... 8-) ;) )

My brother and I have the same initials...DJH. Don't know if my parents wanted to save time marking things or it just worked out that way.
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by SWM   » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:18 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Way back when I was a student, one student organization I was in (with about 30 members) had 5 Steve's and 4 Will's.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by Borealis   » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:24 pm

Borealis

Our family has a naming tradition, though it only applies to the males. In our case it has to do with the middle name. The first name is anything acceptable to my wife and me. (Pretty much what my wife wanted... ;) )

My son's middle name is Jon after my first name. So he is Brendan Jon

As the oldest son, my middle name is my father's first name, Richard. So I got Jon Richard.

My father's middle name is Arthur after his father and so on. i.e. Richard Arthur.

For multiple son's, the middle name drops one generation. My younger brother's middle name is Arthur after (choose one) either my father's middle name or my grandfather's first name. So he is Steven Arthur and his son is Andrew Steven.

As long as there are not too many boys, the naming convention works quite well.
Post by Norm.bone   » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:09 am

Norm.bone

Borealis wrote:Our family has a naming tradition, though it only applies to the males. In our case it has to do with the middle name. The first name is anything acceptable to my wife and me. (Pretty much what my wife wanted... ;) )

My son's middle name is Jon after my first name. So he is Brendan Jon

As the oldest son, my middle name is my father's first name, Richard. So I got Jon Richard.

My father's middle name is Arthur after his father and so on. i.e. Richard Arthur.

For multiple son's, the middle name drops one generation. My younger brother's middle name is Arthur after (choose one) either my father's middle name or my grandfather's first name. So he is Steven Arthur and his son is Andrew Steven.

As long as there are not too many boys, the naming convention works quite well.

My inlaws have a male naming tradition, too. They're all "DDD". Daniel David, Dennis Dean, Dallas, Daisy (Some of them do it for the girls, too.) etc.
Post by Rnewman   » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:33 pm

Rnewman
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

DawnFalcon wrote:
But I will say my first name is Andrew. At one job, out of about seventy people working there, I was the ninth Andrew to be hired.

And yes, of course I was sitting next to two other Andrews.

LOL, same here. Out of 21 engineers, we had:

Randy Newman
Randy Nelson
Randy English
Randy Eisenach

And of course, we all got assigned a corner of the same 4 cube block.

We all just learned to sit still whenever we heard a call for "Randy" over the wall.

We had a couple we knew who named their two daughters Annabell Rose and Rosalie Anne. I guess they just really liked the names.
Post by Lord Skimper   » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:40 pm

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

I have only met one other Skimper.
Post by lyonheart   » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:36 pm

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi Hutch,

My family commemorated the wife's family by making her last name the first born son's middle name while David was always the first born son's first name; so my Grandfather's father's name was David Ross, my grandfather's name was David Cairns, my father's was David Reed, and my oldest brother's was David Ray while my oldest nephew was David Snyder.

For years when both my dad and brother were living in the same house, we'd get calls for David Lyon, then David R, which didn't clarify things so unless they knew the middle name, they had to state their business before we could tell which they really wanted.

Once my second brother answered the phone of someone wanting Mr. Lyon, and was told 'we have five of those here'; and upon learning it was David Lyon, responded with 'we have two of those too'; 'yes, both had the same middle initial', 'yup, both had served in the military', etc, etc; that had all of us listening on our side rolling on the floor laughing. :lol:

My nephew named his son Grant to end all the clutter of David's. ;) :D

L

Hutch wrote:
Norm.bone wrote:*quote="drothgery"*
There's another Dave around the corner from me.*quote*

Another Dave here (just another cog in the Dread and Secret Order of Dave.... 8-) ;) )

My brother and I have the same initials...DJH. Don't know if my parents wanted to save time marking things or it just worked out that way.
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by dreamrider   » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:05 pm

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

lyonheart wrote:Hi Hutch,

My family commemorated the wife's family by making her last name the first born son's middle name while David was always the first born son's first name; so my Grandfather's father's name was David Ross, my grandfather's name was David Cairns, my father's was David Reed, and my oldest brother's was David Ray while my oldest nephew was David Snyder.

For years when both my dad and brother were living in the same house, we'd get calls for David Lyon, then David R, which didn't clarify things so unless they knew the middle name, they had to state their business before we could tell which they really wanted.

Once my second brother answered the phone of someone wanting Mr. Lyon, and was told 'we have five of those here'; and upon learning it was David Lyon, responded with 'we have two of those too'; 'yes, both had the same middle initial', 'yup, both had served in the military', etc, etc; that had all of us listening on our side rolling on the floor laughing. :lol:

My nephew named his son Grant to end all the clutter of David's. ;) :D

L

What in God's name did your family do if an eldest son married a girl named Analise Mykernowski?? :-)

dreamrider
Post by Michael Everett   » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:46 pm

Michael Everett
Admiral

Lord Skimper wrote:I have only met one other Skimper.

Dammit, Skimper!
Stop giving us straight lines like that!
If I had posted the (admittedly humerous) "Thank Goodness" that was my first reaction (thanks to my dark and twisted sense of humour), I might have been the subject of the Banhammer of the Almighty Duckk!
Please, phrase it better next time!
Sheesh!

As for names, I was lucky in that my parents went through all the possible permutations discarding anything that formed a three-letter acronym or any unfortunate abbreviations.

If only more parents were that careful...
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995

Return to Honorverse