Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 61 guests

Information I'd love to know

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Information I'd love to know
Post by Armed Neo-Bob   » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:08 pm

Armed Neo-Bob
Captain of the List

Wow, I'm climbing the ranks. :D

Thanks,

Rob

Armed Neo-Bob wrote:
SWM wrote:It's not clear where the rumors about the Torch wormhole came from. The only plausible source is somewhere in Manpower. We don't know whether the idea that it had multiple termini was deliberate misinformation, or a mangled version of the true report that Torch is (effectively) one of several termini of a junction, or a completely spurious rumor started by someone who had no real clue.

You'll have to look in AAC or MOH, because I'm having a senior moment, but Albrecht Detweiler hosting a meeting of onion insiders has Asimovna telling the guy who runs ops in the Haven Sector (the guy who, Anisimovna points out, is NOT on the Strategy Board) about the rumors and the intentions of the Malign vis-a-vis Erewhon. It was a deliberate attempt to get Erewhon to give the Mantie tech to Technodyne. It wasn't in one of the Torch books, it was mainline, but I can't remember exactly where now.

Regards,

Rob
Post by Bill Woods   » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:20 pm

Bill Woods
Captain of the List

Armed Neo-Bob wrote:
SWM wrote:It's not clear where the rumors about the Torch wormhole came from. The only plausible source is somewhere in Manpower. We don't know whether the idea that it had multiple termini was deliberate misinformation, or a mangled version of the true report that Torch is (effectively) one of several termini of a junction, or a completely spurious rumor started by someone who had no real clue.

You'll have to look in AAC or MOH, because I'm having a senior moment, but Albrecht Detweiler hosting a meeting of onion insiders has Asimovna telling the guy who runs ops in the Haven Sector (the guy who, Anisimovna points out, is NOT on the Strategy Board) about the rumors and the intentions of the Malign vis-a-vis Erewhon. It was a deliberate attempt to get Erewhon to give the Mantie tech to Technodyne. It wasn't in one of the Torch books, it was mainline, but I can't remember exactly where now.

From Crown of Slaves:
[Victor Cachat:] "—we can see the whole thing. Through hyper-space, Congo's not more than three days travel from Erewhon. And now it's been discovered that Congo's system has a wormhole junction with no fewer than three termini. Since the wormhole was first found by Mesan interests only a short while ago, the presumption is that at least one of them connects to the Solarian League. But nobody really knows where its termini lead to, except the Mesans." He wiggled one of the knives to indicate that its actual line of connection was uncertain.
... I suppose it's possible that one of those termini leads to Havenite space, but if it does the Republic certainly doesn't know about it. I admit, the Erewhonese would have to take our word for that, but it does happen to be true."

From Torch of Freedom:
"Jeremy's right about that," Du Havel put in. "What we can tell you, though, is that we haven't found anything outside the computers to suggest there was any ongoing survey effort. And none of the Mesan survivors who decided to stay on here ever heard anything about that kind of effort. In fact, several of them have told us they'd been specifically told by their superiors that it hadn't been surveyed yet." It was his turn to shrug. "Of course, none of them were hyper-physicists. Almost all of them were involved in pharmaceutical research, so it wouldn't have been their area of expertise, anyway."
"That's interesting," [Jordin Kare] said out loud. "Especially given the persistent rumors before the liberation that Torch was 'at least' a three-nexii junction. What you've just told us certainly agrees with everything official we've been able to find, but I can't find myself wondering where that specific number—three, I mean—came from in the first place."

There might have been a leak in Mannerheim, since three termini is the mid-level version of the story.
----
Imagined conversation:
Admiral [noting yet another Manty tech surprise]:
XO, what's the budget for the ONI?
Vice Admiral: I don't recall exactly, sir. Several billion quatloos.
Admiral: ... What do you suppose they did with all that money?
Post by KNick   » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:26 pm

KNick
Admiral

Duckk wrote:
So stuck in the past you can't see the future.

We know the future because David said what it will be. You are the one who can't accept it, not any of us.

Blood pressure, Duckk, blood pressure. This is simply one of his circular file posts.
_

Try to take a fisherman's fish and you will be tomorrows bait!!!
Post by roseandheather   » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:12 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

KNick wrote:
Blood pressure, Duckk, blood pressure. This is simply one of his circular file posts.

And this distinguishes it from all the others by...

:lol:
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by Vince   » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:36 am

Vince
Vice Admiral

roseandheather wrote:
KNick wrote:

Paraphrasing Star Trek:

Set Skimpers to ignore.
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Post by runsforcelery   » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:49 am

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

Lord Skimper wrote:The British Empire isn't an official or wasn't an official title. It was merely a meansofrefering to the whole political influence of the United Kingdom.

One might be the empress of thisarea queen of that, but when one is called Empress of all of it, one becomes the Empress of the Empire. The older lesser titles are supplanted by the new title. The barony of something navy gets absorbed into the Royal and later Imperial navy. It is still on a regimental level the barony of something naval unit. But it is part of the Royal or later Imperial Navy.

The SEM is now the Star Empire of Manticore. With an Empress. She may still be a Queen and a Princess and Lady and a Duchess and a Baronette but she is refered to as Empress. Not Duchess or Princess nor Queen. Empress.

Likewise the old Royal Manticorian Navy is now the Imperial Navy of Manticore. There still could be a Queens Own Regiment or a Royal Home Fleet. But the navy should, if follows any precedent, be called, now the Imperial Navy of Manticore or Imperial Manticorian Navy or Manticorian Imperial Navy.

This might not he a big deal with the small fry Navy it currently has. But once the Silesian and Talbott forces start producing units and crew your going to have Imperial Navy of the SEM and Royal Navy of the RMN. The RMN being the smallest of the systems. 1 system 2 stars 3 planets. Vs Talbott 15 systems, maybe more, 15+ stars 15+ planets. Not a kingdom but an Empire. Not the navy of a kingdom but the Navy of an Empire.

I know you are stuck in your way but you all claim not to be the conservatives, I would be a conservative. Yet your all so Conservative you can't see the Verse changing around you!

Silesia is not has never been and never will be part of the Kingdom of Manticore. It will be producing its own shops and its own crews and with 34 systems who knows how many stars and planets and the Imperial Navy will be 10-20 times the size of the Royal old navy of the Manticore system replaced with the rest of the Empire and its Empress Elizabeth the I. Not Queen. Not Royal Navy, Imperial Navy.

If you follow the process of and set titles of the Aristocrats then the RMN is now the IMN. If you just make something up then your Empress might have to bow to the visiting Earl of ...... With his Mighty fleet of Talbot MFT and the Baron of Silesia who has the Teutonic Navy the STN.

Or the RMN the MFT and the STN is now all IMN!

So stuck in the past you can't see the future.

This is the biggest hunk of nonsense I've seen in a long, long time. Do you actually read the books, or make it up as you go along? I only ask because you seem to fantasize your own solutions to problems --- frequently problems you invent as you go along --- which makes me wonder why I bothered to write the story in the first place. :roll:

In case you haven't figured it out, I write the books and I pretty much totally disagree with everything you've just said. In fact, there's so much wrong in this post that there is absolutely no point in trying to explain what it all is. :roll: :geek:

I'm tired enough at the moment to be cranky, :evil: but still . . .

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by pokermind   » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:08 am

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

Speaking of writing, how is the new Honor Harrington book coming? Will Mike get catted? I can see her new treecat guardian interacting with Dicey the Maine Coon Terrain cat, <You no steal doughnut stupid four-leg!> :lol:

Poker

runsforcelery wrote:
Lord Skimper's quote SNIPPED

This is the biggest hunk of nonsense I've seen in a long, long time. Do you actually read the books, or make it up as you go along? I only ask because you seem to fantasize your own solutions to problems --- frequently problems you invent as you go along --- which makes me wonder why I bothered to write the story in the first place. :roll:

In case you haven't figured it out, I write the books and I pretty much totally disagree with everything you've just said. In fact, there's so much wrong in this post that there is absolutely no point in trying to explain what it all is. :roll: :geek:

I'm tired enough at the moment to be cranky, :evil: but still . . .
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Post by KNick   » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:03 pm

KNick
Admiral

roseandheather wrote:
KNick wrote:

Every once in a while (about 1 post in twenty), he gets something close enough to right that one of the truly knowledgeable people such as SWM or Relax or drothgery decide to try to point out his errors. When they do, I learn a lot. As for the other nineteen, 3 are burn before reading, four go in the rectangular file, 1 goes in the possible jokes file and the other eleven are simply for the circular file. I read his posts for the two possibly good ones (the joke file and the one that draws a response).
_

Try to take a fisherman's fish and you will be tomorrows bait!!!
Post by drothgery   » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:22 pm

drothgery
Admiral

KNick wrote:Every once in a while (about 1 post in twenty), he gets something close enough to right that one of the truly knowledgeable people such as SWM or Relax or drothgery...
Heh.
I have Skimper ignored; if I respond to anything he says, it's in a quote.
Post by Amaroq   » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:30 pm

Amaroq
Captain of the List

I might be wandering into areas that might be uncomfortable for some but I hope it won't be too bad. I always had some question about prolong and reproduction. Specifically, how it affects female reproductive biology. Being a woman myself I wondered how prolong deals with the subjects of menstruation, fertility, menopause, etc...

It mainly came into focus with Honor's unexpected pregnancy and how she couldn't have known that her implant expired. I understand about not thinking to check medical records and paperwork but if the implant altered certain aspects of female reproductive biology than the reversion back to a "normal" state after it expired would probably have been recognizable (after all, a period is not exactly something you don't notice having). Considering that women don't continually produce eggs the way men produce sperm it would be interesting to figure out how prolong extends (or doesn't as the case may be) a woman's fertile years into the 100s (as evidenced by Allison's successful pregnancy).

I hope I haven't squicked too many people out. :D
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.

Return to Honorverse