Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], zyffyr and 46 guests

Rivka Rebecca? Really?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Rivka Rebecca? Really?
Post by cthia   » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:19 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:Oh, I almost forgot. Sharon and I carried on the practice of cruel and unusual names. The kids are:

Megan Elizabeth Monira Rice-Weber;
Morgan Emily Monirath Rice-Weber;
and
Michael Paul Alexander Rice-Weber.

So when I hand all these multi-barreled names on characters, I'm only doing what comes natural! :twisted: :lol:

Sorry, but I just don't get it. These are all nice respectable names. Classy names even. I know a couple whose last name is White. They had a daughter. Her name ... wait for it ...

wait for it ...

Princess Snow White.

I met a girl years ago. I asked her name and I thought she was joking ... Bambi Disney.

Searching the internet, I find many girls named Bambi Disney. :o

Okay, what ... the ... buck is going on!

My sister's name is Katyanna. Traditionally named after family members. My grandmother Katie, my Great Grandmother Anna. My mom put them together and Katyanna. Pronounced KottyOnna. Everyone loves her name. She loves her name. If your name will make you the target of ridicule in grade school, kids should sue their parents!

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by SWM   » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:57 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Then of course, there is the "boy named Sue." :lol:
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by dreamrider   » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:22 am

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:Oh, I almost forgot. Sharon and I carried on the practice of cruel and unusual names. The kids are:

Megan Elizabeth Monira Rice-Weber;
Morgan Emily Monirath Rice-Weber;
and
Michael Paul Alexander Rice-Weber.

So when I hand all these multi-barreled names on characters, I'm only doing what comes natural! :twisted: :lol:

Ok, I guess I will jump in here.

I am Robert.
My wife and I named our son Robert Miles Walton Lewis.
We were in agreement from before his birth that we would call him "Robin", and we do.

I have been at pains many times in my life to explain two things.

Item 1) My son is not named after me!

His first name (my pick, with endorsement) is for:
36% - My best friend from boyhood, who happens to share the only really acceptable name besides Earnest.
34% - RAH. If you are reading here, you damned well better know who that is.
15% - Robert of Locksley.
14% - Puck of Pook's Hill. (For obvious reasons I favored "Robin" and "Rob" over "Puck")
1% - A war hero from my childhood church, a year or two my senior. To this day I don't know for sure what his recorded given name is, but his name to all and sundry is Robin Titus.

His second name (my wife's pick, with endorsement) is for:
Miles Vorkosigan.

His third name is for:
5+ generations of my wife's family, in the primary line. She has no brothers, she's the oldest girl. Without the name we would have been only tolerated down home. My mother-in-law bakes a mean pie. We had no choice.

His last name:
Well, OK I guess that one is for me.

Item 2) "Robin" is not a girl's name. I could refer doubters to English history on this, or perhaps to the above mentioned Mr Titus. However, since Robin is now 16, 6'+, over 200lbs, and still growing, I think the issue is pretty well resolved.

:D :roll:

dreamrider

PS - I'm quite sure that David and Sharon have equally good reasons for the burdens that they have inflicted upon their most beloved. :twisted: dr
Post by Rnewman   » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:26 pm

Rnewman
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

My daughter's English teacher in high school was Mrs Borne.

Her two kids were named: (I'm not making this up, I swear)

First Borne

and

American Borne

Yes, I think that sign is needed.
Post by KNick   » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:32 pm

KNick
Admiral

Rnewman wrote:My daughter's English teacher in high school was Mrs Borne.

First Borne

and

American Borne

Might have been the after-affects of some illicit wreckrelational pharamcuticals.
_

Try to take a fisherman's fish and you will be tomorrows bait!!!
Post by Tenshinai   » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:28 pm

Tenshinai
Admiral

dreamrider wrote:
Ok, I guess I will jump in here.

I am Robert.
My wife and I named our son Robert Miles Walton Lewis.
We were in agreement from before his birth that we would call him "Robin", and we do.

I have been at pains many times in my life to explain two things.

Item 1) My son is not named after me!

His first name (my pick, with endorsement) is for:
36% - My best friend from boyhood, who happens to share the only really acceptable name besides Earnest.
34% - RAH. If you are reading here, you damned well better know who that is.
15% - Robert of Locksley.
14% - Puck of Pook's Hill. (For obvious reasons I favored "Robin" and "Rob" over "Puck")
1% - A war hero from my childhood church, a year or two my senior. To this day I don't know for sure what his recorded given name is, but his name to all and sundry is Robin Titus.

His second name (my wife's pick, with endorsement) is for:
Miles Vorkosigan.

His third name is for:
5+ generations of my wife's family, in the primary line. She has no brothers, she's the oldest girl. Without the name we would have been only tolerated down home. My mother-in-law bakes a mean pie. We had no choice.

His last name:
Well, OK I guess that one is for me.

Item 2) "Robin" is not a girl's name. I could refer doubters to English history on this, or perhaps to the above mentioned Mr Titus. However, since Robin is now 16, 6'+, over 200lbs, and still growing, I think the issue is pretty well resolved.

:D :roll:

dreamrider

PS - I'm quite sure that David and Sharon have equally good reasons for the burdens that they have inflicted upon their most beloved. :twisted: dr

Robin is a girls name AND a boys name, so no trouble there(i think that´s even true for all languages that uses it as a name).
It´s a good name.

But are you really surprised people think he´s named after you? I mean that is "obvious".

Wanna know what someone i know had as their ready name if their kid was a girl?
"Ninja"... It´s sane if you look at how they got it from the Spanish pronounciation of "Nina", but it still sounded NOT so great.
Fortunately(i think) both their children are boys. *phew*

Rnewman wrote:My daughter's English teacher in high school was Mrs Borne.

First Borne

and

American Borne

While i agree, it isn´t quite as odd as it seems, it´s actually quite common in some places to use numbers or the like as names.

Examples from Japanese:
Jirou, "second son".
Nana, "seven", girl name(also as Nanako, (seventh child).
Rokuro, "sixth son".
etc...

SorchaRei wrote:I notice this every time I read ART, and I finally reached the breaking point. Rivka and Rebecca are the same name.

While the origin may be the same, once spelling is that far apart, it is effectively 2 different names.
Post by MaxxQ   » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:34 am

MaxxQ
BuNine

Tenshinai wrote:
SorchaRei wrote:I notice this every time I read ART, and I finally reached the breaking point. Rivka and Rebecca are the same name.

While the origin may be the same, once spelling is that far apart, it is effectively 2 different names.

Which is why I chose "Ian" as my middle son's first name. He's more or less named after me - John - but with the Scot/Irish version of "John".
Post by Lord Skimper   » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:47 am

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

Lots of Muslims have double names. Often spelt the same way sometimes with a different spelling. Taleb Taleb for instance. Although Mohommed Mohammed is also popular. The royalty of the Arab origins toss a bin so and so in there. However official names can be huge, their own names typical are not. HHS Saif Al Sharqui real name is Saif bin something bin Saif bin same something bin Saif bin something bin Saif .... Bin something bin Saif bin something bin Abdulla. He rattles the succession of names off with ease. Something is the same name I never quite caught begins with an H. I'm pretty sure there were seven Saif's in there. Yet like the Japanese he got tired of telling people his name over the phone so ordering a taxi he just called himself Moe. The Japanese seem to need to add a western Middle name to there otherwise no middle name Japanese name. A name which I never ever use personally. But which Betty Paul Franklin Bilbo and Johnny seem to love. My real name which I never use online, is the name of some much loved main character of a children's book in Japan. Which everyone there can spell and pronounce unlike just about everyone in North America. Another reason I love Japan so much.
Post by Michael Riddell   » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:43 pm

Michael Riddell
Captain (Junior Grade)

Since we've diverted off into our own names, I'll join in.

Full name is Michael Graham Riddell.

Michael after one of my father's workmates when he worked for British Rail and Graham due to alleged affiliation to Clan Graham - though I'm a tad doubtful about that. There's also a Clan Riddell as well.

Apparently I was nearly called Duncan. Just as well my parents called me something else - Duncan Riddell sounds like a Scottish country dance! :shock: :lol:

Mike. ;)
---------------------
Gonnae no DAE that!

Why?

Just gonnae NO!
---------------------
Post by roseandheather   » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:13 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Oh, are we doing full names now?

Mine is You Nosy Gits. :mrgreen:

I will say, however, that my brother and I barely escaped being called 'Lionel' and 'Solange' respectively. Thankfully, my mother came to her senses. :lol:
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."

Return to Honorverse