Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

1632verse TV series possible, so Casting suggestions?

Alternate history buff? Wander on over for a discussion about Eric Flint's 1632 series!
Re: 1632verse TV series possible, so Casting suggestions?
Post by Greentea   » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:40 am

Greentea
Commander

Puidwen wrote:I'm thinking Gary Sinise for Mike Stearns.

Too old. Mike is in his early to mid 30s at the start of the series. He has a sister in college after all and a gap that big would not be believable. Sinise might make a good Frank Jackson or Dan Frost.
Cup of tea? Yes, please.
Post by Puidwen   » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:08 pm

Puidwen
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Too old. Mike is in his early to mid 30s at the start of the series. He has a sister in college after all and a gap that big would not be believable. Sinise might make a good Frank Jackson or Dan Frost.

I'll admit gary sinise doesn't look anything like i think Mike Stearns would look like. The reason i suggested him is base on CSI: New York i thought he could get's mike personality right.
Post by Greentea   » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:12 pm

Greentea
Commander

Puidwen wrote:

I'll admit gary sinise doesn't look anything like i think Mike Stearns would look like. The reason i suggested him is base on CSI: New York i thought he could get's mike personality right.

I could also see him getting the personality of Frank Jackson or Dan Frost really well.
Cup of tea? Yes, please.
Pictures Please With Your Suggestions!
Post by HB of CJ   » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:38 pm

HB of CJ
Captain of the List

Pictures please so we can all understand who might play what. Some of us do not watch TV or get out often and we have no idea whom you are talking about.

How about using hungry talented unknowns who will do it for a dime on the dollar. You know...break in roles. Then have the authors only decide on who.

Works for me. I for one would go with the less beautiful but not too ugly types of actors. You know...kinda ordinary. Let them ACT the character.

HB of CJ (old coot) Lt.Cm. I love this forum. When do I get promoted?
Post by dvdscar   » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:02 pm

dvdscar
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

pokermind wrote:Hi all,

Eric Flint is in negociations to turn the 1632verse into TV series he posted on Baen's Bar in the 1632Tech forum some threads on this.

=======================
Update from Eric posted in Mutter of Demons on Baen's Bar yesterday.

Mammoth Screen is renewing their option on the 1632 series for another year. They've hired a well-known screenwriter and have the script for the first episode. They've also made a deal with ITV Studios for worldwide distribution. This is important because ITV is a big deal in the UK. We're still a long ways from an up-and-running TV series, but things are looking good.
======================

So things are inching closer to happening, and Eric gets another option payment. More money for Eric is a good thing. :-)

David
Post by pokermind   » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:27 am

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

On Baen's Bar Eric Flint wrote the following on the TV Series:

dvdscar,"Knowing Eric, the rule will be "No, the TV series will not establish canon....except for when it does." :)

David

He reads minds...

Print and visual story-telling are two very different undertakings. What typically happens when a book is turned into a movie or (especially) a TV series is that the visual version of the story becomes essentially -- I can't resist -- an alternate history of the original story. Much will be in common but some things will change. In and of itself, that's fine. If I were writing the script for 1632 _I_ would change some aspects of the story. Things that work well in a printed medium won't always work well in a visual medium, and vice versa. What you hope is simply that the visual version of the story is done well on its own terms.

As far as the issue of "canon" is concerned, I think it's a moot point. Let's assume for the moment that:

a) A TV series is produced.
b) It is successful enough to turn into a multi-season project.
c) Each season is based on one of the so-called "mainstream" novels -- which, for the record, are 1632, 1633, 1634: THE BALTIC WAR, 1635: THE EASTERN FRONT, 1636: THE SAXON UPRISING and my next solo novel scheduled for publication in January 2016 whose current working title is 1636: A WORLD OF HURT.
d) That will require six -- count 'em -- six years, beginning no sooner than two or three years from now.

Okay. By that point -- let's call it the year 2022 -- the number of novels published in the series, assuming we maintain our current pace, will have increased by at least a dozen. Of those, at least three will be mainstream novels.

My point is that there's simply no way a TV series could catch up with the print series unless the TV series lasts as long as Gunsmoke or the Simpsons, which is highly unlikely. That means it will always be the print series that's establishing canon.

Eric Flint
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Post by roseandheather   » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:25 am

roseandheather
Admiral

Another casting suggestion for Melissa Mailey: the ridiculously talented Marcia Gay Harden. She's all wrong physically (long dark hair, much too gorgeous) but she could play Melissa's personality like nobody's business and her smile is phenomenal.
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by dvdscar   » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:11 pm

dvdscar
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Eric Flint posted this on Facebook and Baen's Bar today.

Mammoth Screen just renewed the option to turn the Ring of Fire series into a TV series for another two years. Beyond that, I can't say very much because there are some complex and multi-sided negotiations taking place that I need to keep confidential for the moment. As soon as I can say anything more specific, I will do so.

I can say that the situation continues to look quite promising. But nothing definite has happened yet.
Post by dscott8   » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:18 pm

dscott8
Commodore

Here's The West Wing's Allison Janney for the Melissa Mailey part:
Post by windskisong   » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:04 pm

windskisong
Midshipman

Just hearing about this. Definitely would love to see this, as long as it doesn't get the Firefly treatment. Need to build some serious buzz if it's moving towards real...

Return to Assiti Shards