Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

an idea for a Chinese fantasy series that I would write

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
an idea for a Chinese fantasy series that I would write
Post by lwhitehead   » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:50 am

lwhitehead
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Hi I would like to create a Chinese like fantasy setting, one that would last as long as the Honor series.

Now it will be like Shenmo and Wuxia style of fiction, Since most western fantasy takes place in the middle ages that would put the Chinese time period in the Song dynasty.

Now I need to create the major religions of China for this fantasy setting, Daoism, Confucianism and Buddhism.

Religion is tough subject to normally deal with most fantasy writers tip toe around it but Chinese culture does not, so will I.

This Setting has Magic and Martial Arts in it and it starts in Port City of 80,000 like Victoria BC but a Chinese one.

I could really use some help,

LW
Re: an idea for a Chinese fantasy series that I would write
Post by Lord Skimper   » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:46 am

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

You must mean Vancouver.

Stick to the downtown core. Although how this translates to medieval times I have no idea. Neither was around in medieval times.
Post by Michael Everett   » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:30 pm

Michael Everett
Admiral

A few questions -

1) Do you hope to make money from it or are you instead trying to create a reputation as a writer?

2) Have you thought about the plotlines (harder than it sounds)

3) Are you working from a pre-existing template or trying to build a new world from the core up?

4) Have you considered how certain roles tend towards being gender-oriented and the underlying reasons? After all, military units tend to be male because, from a reproductive viewpoint, men are far more expendable.

5) Have you started on drawing maps? Rivers are the primary mode for heavy transportation for many non-technological cultures and are therefore where most cities spring up. Road-nets tend to grow organically over time (American interstates notwithstanding) and generally follow fairly flat routes wherever possible, despite the extra length. Only highly-organised cultures can make roads with cuttings through hills and big bridges over valleys.

6) Government. Monarchy, meritocracy, democracy, tyranny? Are they supported by the population? Ignored? Hated? It makes a difference...

7) Other countries. Allies? Enemies? Neutral? Share a border or on the other side of a body of water? How they interact can lead to dozens of possible stories.

There are many more questions to ask, but I hope that the search for answers will help you to flesh out your work-in-progress.

Good luck.
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by lwhitehead   » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:33 am

lwhitehead
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

First off this setting was inspire by Two video games, Jade Empire and the online MMORPG Jade Dynasty,

As for goal as a Writer it's little of both cash and titian rep as well, given the fact that I've got asbergers and my writing isn't up to snuff.

I mean Victoria BC yes it's a city of 80,000 which think like a town hence it fit nicely as a Port city,

The main character is a Westerner male who as baby was the only survivor of a shipwreck found by Master Lu a founder of small but selective martial arts school, in that Port at the time he first came it was a town.

Master Lu is superior teacher of martial arts but his personal background is a mystery specially to favorite student and best trainer the Westener,

LW
Post by Tenshinai   » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:29 pm

Tenshinai
Admiral

And in relation to that, make sure you figure out if you are an improvising author, if you need everything planned from start or if just some rought outlines is enough for you to work from.

This makes a massive difference in how you can and should work.

As for goal as a Writer it's little of both cash and titian rep as well, given the fact that I've got asbergers and my writing isn't up to snuff.

Don´t expect to get any cash out of it, that way you wont be disappointed if it never happens.

Unless you already have a reputation as an author, i would suggest that you make what you write available online and add a way for those who wish to pay for it.

Don´t forget, there are many thousands of writers around nowadays, some of them VERY professional (some pro writers use fanfiction or original but free fiction as practise for example).
Post by Michael Everett   » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:27 pm

Michael Everett
Admiral

Tenshinai wrote:

And in relation to that, make sure you figure out if you are an improvising author, if you need everything planned from start or if just some rought outlines is enough for you to work from.

This makes a massive difference in how you can and should work.

It does.

Really.

I tend towards a mix, I plan out the basic direction of the story and then I improvise in the general direction needed.
Some of the plots that occur in my stories came as quite a surprise to me...

And given that I'm the one doing the writing...
:?
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by Tenshinai   » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:50 pm

Tenshinai
Admiral

Michael Everett wrote:It does.

Really.

I tend towards a mix, I plan out the basic direction of the story and then I improvise in the general direction needed.
Some of the plots that occur in my stories came as quite a surprise to me...

And given that I'm the one doing the writing...
:?

Yup, characters and events can definitely get their own ideas sometimes.

Myself with writing, i´m extremely random, i write various parts of a story until there´s enough of it, then i start piecing it together by writing the rest of the actual chapters... Probably insane way of writing, but it´s the only way that works for me.
Post by Lord Skimper   » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:59 am

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

You do realise that successful writers are few and far between. They also love to write and don't plan on making huge amounts of money. Sometimes it happens but it isn't something you can just be; rich and famous writer. When I was in college a friend / fellow student told me he was going to be a successful businessman. But couldn't tell me what he was going to buy sell, didn't have a clue. Now of course he did have a fallback position, he is the minister of electronics, some made up position his government gave him and he is now in charge of building the pipeline to by pass Iran and the strait of Hormuz. I wouldn't call him a Businessman though.

One hopes you have something else to do. Of course if you can write a great book do it.
Post by Lord Skimper   » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:22 am

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

I was just pointing out that unlike Victoria, Vancouver already is a Chinese city. A trip to Vancouver might help inspire you. That and lots of research.
Post by Thucydides   » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:11 am

Thucydides
Captain of the List

You have written here several times in the past with other plot lines. Have you ever progressed beyond these outlines and written anything?

If you have, I might suggest you put some of it on line (and give out the link) so others can read and perhaps comment or critique your work. This will give you practice in writing and help you build a reputation and audience if that is your goal.

Return to Free-Range Topics...