Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 33 guests

Honorverse favorite one-liners

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse favorite one-liners
Post by cthia   » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:59 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

AoV
Nuts didn't need religion to make them nuts, Allison had long since decided, but it did seem to give them a certain added sense of commitment to whatever goals their nutdom decided to embrace.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:01 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

At All Costs
"Ma'am, the Alpha Arrays are reporting—sweet Jesus!"

Still think Jesus doesn't communicate?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:32 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Ironic how when you're knee deep in it, and want no more of it, it is the only thing you can think of.

At All Costs
"Oh, shit," Admiral Stephania Grimm, Royal Astrogation Control Service, said to herself very, very quietly as a soft but urgent audio alarm sounded.

A Rising Thunder
Albrecht Detweiler: Aw shit.

Post by cthia   » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:07 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

A Rising Thunder
Colonel Okiku: You are so going to get all of us killed.

Parallels a certain line by a certain officer of a certain Hunt for Red October.

Post by Ensign Re-read   » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:17 pm

Ensign Re-read
Commodore

cthia wrote:A Rising Thunder

Parallels a certain line by a certain officer of a certain Hunt for Red October.

Yup.
Go to URL:
* http://www.davidweber.net/forums/viewto ... &start=130
and scroll down to the third entry.

=====
The Celestia "addon" for the Planet Safehold as well as the Kau-zhi and Manticore A-B star systems, are at URL:
http://www.lepp.cornell.edu/~seb/celestia/weber/.
=====
http://www.flickr.com/photos/68506297@N ... 740128635/
=====
Post by cthia   » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:33 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:A Rising Thunder

Ensign Re-read wrote:
Yup.
Go to URL:
* http://www.davidweber.net/forums/viewto ... &start=130
and scroll down to the third entry.

Yep, that's the one. Thanks!

Post by Hutch   » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:03 am

Hutch
Vice Admiral

Well, I think I've done all I can to this thread, so unless I find something special I'm not planning on posting anymore.

But before I go, the five most memorable One-liners in the Honorverse (and you'll have to really work to displace any of them in my mind.

#5.
"Let's be about it."
The signature line of the series and no top-5 list could be complete without it. But due to repitition by several characters, it is not ranked at the top.

#4.
"We're Home, Systems Command. It took us a while, but we're home"
The ending of Echos of Honor and Honor's return from captivity.

#3.
"Goodbye Citizen Chairman."
Thomas Theisman's signature line for the series and a truly heart-stopping ending...

"Your Grace, I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"
Just maybe the best written line in the whole damn series. So much said in those few words.

#1 Is there any doubt?
"Oops."
I sometimes wonder how RFC feels, after writing literally hundreds of thousands of words in and about the Honorverse, that he is most treasured for that one little, absolutely perfect word.

OK, I'm out of here.
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by cthia   » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:25 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

To Hutch,
This thread shall miss you, almost as much as I. You have many moments invested into this thread and you, and all like you, are instrumental in its success. Thank you for all of your incredible posts, laughs and emotional starts. I won't send you the bill for my many boxes of tissue. If the very small glimpse that your posts allow into your personality are indeed indicative of the person in the ality, I envy those around you. I've told you more than once that I simply enjoy your slant on things. I'm far from ready to leave the thread just yet. There are too many books I've yet to read. So Hutch, I hope you'll just pop in for a spell just to look around from time to time, or just to window shop if the curtain is open.

Here's to you. My top eleven. For now. Truthfully, it gets difficult from five on.

11. Lady Harrington and no mercy.

In the spirit of the RMN's "Ladies and Gentleman, the Queen." This is Grayson's version. If you think Grayson doesn't have a Queen, think again.
10. Let's be about it.

There's so much innate power in these words. When Honor says it, the hammer is cocked. Everyone else uses it because it is an excellent catchphrase and motivator. For other officers who use it, it's like having Honor there even when she's not. She's there in spirit, and hearts are lit afire.
9. Sooner or later someone who is less reasonable than you are is going to call on you and if your military can't cover it's I.O.U.'s you lose.
This is just poignant. I learned something from this. Kudos to Honor...and RFC.
8. I'm not as young as I used to be, and I'm not sure I'm ready for the concept of a competent Senior officer on Basilisk Station.

This one-liner has very sentimental connections to my heartstrings. If I'm not mistaken, Michel Reynaud was the first person to acknowledge Honor Harrington after her banishment to the Twilight Zone. And it woke up and stirred pride within a certain officer. Left me with tears.
7. What sort of raw meat do you people feed your cruiser captains, Hamish?

This is a new one for me. I like it because it shows Elizabeth's sense of humor. With all of the pressure fielded by the shoulders of a head of state, it's miraculous that even prolong can lengthen their life.
6. ...war was simply the continuation of diplomacy by non-diplomatic means.

I love this quote from Houseman. He didn't have a clue who he was quoting so Honor supplied General Clausewitz' name. She also served up an example of exactly what it meant, by continuing the diplomacy she had began with him at the conference table by non-diplomatic means. ;)
5. Those that have been suitably dealt with, and those that are still alive.

Simply the People's version of Dead or Alive.
4. Because my full name is Benton-Ramirez y Chou.

Because that's what's in a name.
3 Goodbye, Citizen Chairman.

I'm sure you are all familiar with the phrase This is going to hurt me more than it hurts you. Yea. I can feel the regret in Theisman's soul. Not so much because he doesn't like killing (and he doesn't) but because he had to kill. He was sad that his beloved Republic had fallen to such depths. I also like it because it surely made Shannon Foraker happy in more ways than one. No more Citizen Chairman and no more Citizen Citizen! Not to mention it most likely saved her life. Theisman and Tourville loved Shannon! You do not threaten our tac-witch State Sec.
2. Oops.

My heart bled for Shannon. She was a clean soul on a dirty planet. Another case of 'What is a girl like you doing in a place like this?' All she wanted to do was play with her computers and tac-witch. And she was damn good at it. She had no equal. With Shannon, what ultimately comes to mind is that State Sec merely succeeded in waking a sleeping giant.
1. We meet again, Admiral Tourville, she said, and her soprano voice was cold.

My all time favorite quote by far in the entire Honorverse. It still hath charm to stroke the savage beast and send chills down my spine. It sets the tone for the Salamander. I long since have accepted that Honor has an alter ego. The Salamander is her. As says David Banner, "You do not want to see me angry." I love Honor.

Post by Hutch   » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:53 pm

Hutch
Vice Admiral

No argument with your list and it just shows how many wonderful lines that we all remember so fondly the MWW has written.

But we both forgot one, and that would be #6 on my list (might even have to make room at #5 for it).

"Why is it that people like you always think you're more ruthless than people like me?"

Aivars Aleksovitch Terekhov--nuff' said.
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by cthia   » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:55 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Cauldron of Ghosts

Andrew Artlett
"Wanted. Damn fool mechanic for desperado duties aiding and abetting Audubon Ballroom sociopaths—”

Just...funny. I love all dialog with Princess Ruth.

Return to Honorverse