Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: George J. Smith, Google [Bot] and 35 guests

Honorverse ramblings and musings

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse ramblings and musings
Post by KNick   » Tue May 27, 2014 8:59 pm

KNick
Admiral

roseandheather wrote:<<SNIP>>
Oh, for...

That is not how the Bible works. :roll:

You know that and I know that, but we are somewhat rational human beings, with some knowledge of science and reality. In the late 50s and early 60s, a great many people used quotes from the Bible and other religious texts as a basis for their opposition to nuclear power (among other things). In fact, the first time I heard the idea that the Earth was less than 7000 years old (based on the Bible) was from an opponent of nuclear power on national television.
_

Try to take a fisherman's fish and you will be tomorrows bait!!!
Post by dreamrider   » Wed May 28, 2014 3:40 am

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:Which brings me to another thought. How the hell did Young and Santino pass it! I say foul play. Can we demand an audit of test scores?

Pavel Young had the best copies of all the problems and solutions daddy could buy, and practice sims of all the tank drills. Kobiashi-Maru.

Santino went through the course pre- or early build-up, and most certainly pre-Raoul Courvoisier revision. During the first Janicek Admiralty, when the problems all undoubtedly focused on piracy encounters, with just a taste of Home system defense, at beam range, for historical flavor. Everything by the Book. Piece of cake. He got a C...minus.

dreamrider
Post by n7axw   » Wed May 28, 2014 3:18 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

KNick wrote:
roseandheather wrote:<<SNIP>>
Oh, for...

That is not how the Bible works. :roll:

You know that and I know that, but we are somewhat rational human beings, with some knowledge of science and reality. In the late 50s and early 60s, a great many people used quotes from the Bible and other religious texts as a basis for their opposition to nuclear power (among other things). In fact, the first time I heard the idea that the Earth was less than 7000 years old (based on the Bible) was from an opponent of nuclear power on national television.

It's still going on. A certain senator who for reasons of charity whose name I shall not mention denies global warming on the basis of a Bible passage from Genesis.

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by SWM   » Wed May 28, 2014 3:42 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

There is nothing in the text that suggests that Santino or Pavel could not study and do tests well enough to pass the Crusher.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by KNick   » Wed May 28, 2014 7:48 pm

KNick
Admiral

SWM wrote:There is nothing in the text that suggests that Santino or Pavel could not study and do tests well enough to pass the Crusher.

There is also no textev to show that they understood anything that they learned at the Crusher. And even the toughest simulation is passable if you know in advance that you aren't really going to die. (No panic factor involved.) In both cases, it was the panic factor that led to their poor choices.
_

Post by KNick   » Wed May 28, 2014 7:52 pm

KNick
Admiral

n7axw wrote:<<SNIP>>
It's still going on. A certain senator who for reasons of charity whose name I shall not mention denies global warming on the basis of a Bible passage from Genesis.

Don

Bad choice of examples. Who ever said a politician was a.) rational, b.) a human being or c.) knowledgeable.
_

Post by kzt   » Wed May 28, 2014 11:19 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

KNick wrote:Bad choice of examples. Who ever said a politician was a.) rational, b.) a human being or c.) knowledgeable.

The congresscritter who was terribly worried that the island of Guam "will tip over and capsize" because we were adding 8000 marines comes to mind. I have no idea how the Admiral he was talking to managed to keep his composure.
Post by KNick   » Thu May 29, 2014 12:11 am

KNick
Admiral

kzt wrote:
KNick wrote:Bad choice of examples. Who ever said a politician was a.) rational, b.) a human being or c.) knowledgeable.

The congresscritter who was terribly worried that the island of Guam "will tip over and capsize" because we were adding 8000 marines comes to mind. I have no idea how the Admiral he was talking to managed to keep his composure.

Scroll back to my response to Rose. That is where the snipped portion of the post is. Your post is another example of why I made that statement.
_

Post by crewdude48   » Thu May 29, 2014 2:51 am

crewdude48
Commodore

kzt wrote:

Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.
-Mark Twain
Post by roseandheather   » Thu May 29, 2014 11:41 am

roseandheather
Admiral

kzt wrote:

"I have come to the conclusion that one useless man is called a disgrace; that two are called a law firm; and that three or more become a Congress - and by God I have had it with this Congress!!"
~ John Adams, 1776, aka possibly the best musical ever
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."

Return to Honorverse