Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 37 guests

Honorverse ramblings and musings

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse ramblings and musings
Post by Dieu_Le_Fera   » Sun May 25, 2014 1:54 pm

Dieu_Le_Fera
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

As Dieu_Le_Fera mentioned, the original colony ship was a sleeper ship, programmed to go to Yeltsing/Grayson. Once they arrived and were woken up, they probably didn't have the capability to head off to Masada, which is several light years away.

They were kinda stuck where they were.

Also, with the Grayson attitude, this would just be another test of faith for them to endure. Which is in parallel with the early colonies of the United States.
"Battle Cruisers lead the way!"
Post by cthia   » Sun May 25, 2014 1:59 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Dieu_Le_Fera wrote:
As Dieu_Le_Fera mentioned, the original colony ship was a sleeper ship, programmed to go to Yeltsing/Grayson. Once they arrived and were woken up, they probably didn't have the capability to head off to Masada, which is several light years away.

Also, with the Grayson attitude, this would just be another test of faith for them to endure. Which is in parallel with the early colonies of the United States.

Ah, more enlightenment. Thanks. I didn't know that it was a sleeper ship. Did all of this info come from a mainline novel?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Dieu_Le_Fera   » Sun May 25, 2014 2:05 pm

Dieu_Le_Fera

Most of it comes from *on my part at any rate* from Honors discussion with her mentor Raul at the beginning of Honor Of The Queen, and his discussion of the state of Grayson. The reader just needs to cross the dots at certain points.
Post by cthia   » Sun May 25, 2014 2:11 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Wiki wrote:
The course was housed in the Advanced Tactical Course building, and was informally known as The Crusher. Very few officers were given the opportunity to wear the White Command Beret of a hyper-capable starship commander prior to taking the ATC. Failing to pass the ATC nearly always guaranteed that the officer would never again be assigned a hyper-capable command. (HH9)

I always thought that that was overly tough, to not get at least a second shot at the Crusher. Considering it though, I guess I understand. Lives are at stake, and you wouldn't want to serve under someone rumored to have needn't a dozen tries to pass.

Which brings me to another thought. How the hell did Young and Santino pass it! I say foul play. Can we demand an audit of test scores?

Aside:
Perhaps our DMV should be as strict. One shot at your license. Lives are at stake. :lol:

Edit:
I am also really looking forward to the graphics of the Pit in HotQ, and the holotank.
http://honorverse.wikia.com/wiki/File:Holo_tank.jpg

Last edited by cthia on Sun May 25, 2014 2:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by crewdude48   » Sun May 25, 2014 2:16 pm

crewdude48
Commodore

cthia wrote:Thanks for that info. May I ask what text it came out of?

Mostly HotQ, with a little in FoD and FiE.
Post by Dieu_Le_Fera   » Sun May 25, 2014 2:18 pm

Dieu_Le_Fera

I don't disagree with it, but at the same time I am far from saying we as a race as a whole are ready for it. That depresses me, but I can still look onward.
Post by cthia   » Sun May 25, 2014 2:25 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Dieu_Le_Fera wrote:

Nice reference and association to the early colonies. Totally slipped past me.

Post by cthia   » Sun May 25, 2014 2:40 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Dieu_Le_Fera wrote:When disagreements come up in religious thought, even when in the same sect, it can have some very bad consequences. The fact that both Grayson and Masada are so fervent in their beliefs would have just compounded the issue no matter how it started.

I quite agree here. It is why I wonder about the divorce thing. Most religious sects are quite adamant about their attitude towards splitting a God sanctioned marriage.
King James
Mark 10:9 What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

I would think that Grayson and Masada would be even more adamant about that. And that Grayson would require a woman to at least have a legal divorce before a remarriage lest adultery.

I don't see Masada granting Barbara Bancroft's freedom. I can't see Grayson thinking the idiots civil enough to even approach about it.

Post by crewdude48   » Sun May 25, 2014 2:53 pm

crewdude48
Commodore

cthia wrote:
Dieu_Le_Fera wrote:When disagreements come up in religious thought, even when in the same sect, it can have some very bad consequences. The fact that both Grayson and Masada are so fervent in their beliefs would have just compounded the issue no matter how it started.

I quite agree here. It is why I wonder about the divorce thing. Most religious sects are quite adamant about their attitude towards splitting a God sanctioned marriage.
King James

I would think that Grayson and Masada would be even more adamant about that. And that Grayson would require a woman to at least have a legal divorce before a remarriage lest adultery.

I don't see Masada granting Barbara Bancroft's freedom. I can't see Grayson thinking the idiots civil enough to even approach about it.

Well, the Faithful were banished off of the face of Grayson. I know in 1400's France and Spain, a person who was banished was considered legally dead within their original country. I wouldn't be surprised if something similar was put into law on Grayson by Benjamin the Great, if only to make cleanup after the war that much easier.
Post by cthia   » Sun May 25, 2014 3:08 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Dieu_Le_Fera wrote:
When disagreements come up in religious thought, even when in the same sect, it can have some very bad consequences. The fact that both Grayson and Masada are so fervent in their beliefs would have just compounded the issue no matter how it started.

Cthia wrote:
King James

crewdude48 wrote:
Well, the Faithful were banished off of the face of Grayson. I know in 1400's France and Spain, a person who was banished was considered legally dead within their original country. I wouldn't be surprised if something similar was put into law on Grayson by Benjamin the Great, if only to make cleanup after the war that much easier.

Dude, you are serving up lots of light in my darkness. I didn't know that a banished person was considered legally dead anywhere. I imagined Grayson passing some law as well, championed by the Church of Humanity Unchained. I think your explanation is spot on. Right over my head as well.

Return to Honorverse